Author Topic: Do you recognise this church?  (Read 46951 times)

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do you recognise this church?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 October 08 00:39 BST (UK) »
The building to the side also has a sort of German/ Austrian type of architecture too. could be anywhere in Middle Europe.

Lots of Church pictures on "Google" but so far haven't found anything to resemble the roof construction

Spring
Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 October 08 01:39 BST (UK) »
Are both pictures definitely of the same church?
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 October 08 04:58 BST (UK) »
I wondered that too Tricia - as there appears to be an additional 'roof line' in the distant picture, however I think it may be the roof of the building on the far left in the foreground of the 'close up' photo.

Ebba,

Might there be a way to discover where this church is/was by who owned the album and any travels they may have made?

Were the pictures in any kind of chronological order in the album - ie can you ID a possible date from photos of any people also in the album?

If these were in a photograph album they must have meant something to the owner for them to include them - place of marriage perhaps?

Offline Ebba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 October 08 18:27 BST (UK) »
Sorry, my finger has just slipped twice and I've accidentally sent half a message. Maybe the moderator can remove them for me?

To start again, many thanks to all who have replied to me about this church.
As there has been no identification so far, and several questions about its nationality, I'll give some more information.

Over 20 years ago I bought an old photograph album from a junk shop in East Sussex (about 10 miles from Eastbourne, interestingly). It contains about 18 photos all very firmly glued in. There is no writing in it at all, and absolutely nothing to indicate where it is or who it belonged to, and I promise you I have looked very hard! The first 16 photos are of a country house - external and internal, and including shots like the maid feeding the chickens, some sort of servant in the back yard with 2 dogs, a gardener sweeping a garden path and a horse and carriage with a liveried driver waiting at the front door. I have always longed to discover where it is, and thought the church might be the best clue.

To answer the questions, no I can't say for certain if it's the same church in both pictures, but I had assumed it was. And I had also assumed (perhaps wrongly?) that it was the church local to the country house. I don't really know. There is no indication of date either, but maybe something can be deduced from the clothes worn by the maid, or maybe the carriage can be dated? The house really looks English and since there are a number of you kind enough to be interested I'll post some more pictures on that Flikr site at the weekend. I'll write again when I have done it.

It is very strange that several people think the church looks or feels Eastern European, because I posted it on one other site and the one reply I got said he thought it looked Russian! I wonder if the snow is misleading?

Barbara - thanks for that link. I will start looking, but I've tried ploughing through other sites before and it's just so time-consuming...
Regards
Ebba
Isaacs in London and Bristol; Bishop in Somerset;
Cleave in Devon; Young, Lovell, Hutton & Fenner in Bristol; Lawes & Elliot in Durham and South Wales;
Mortifee/Mortify/Martifee/Martify plus variations, anywhere

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 October 08 20:57 BST (UK) »
I've noticed what looks like 'CJA' on both cards ~ or possibly 'CIA'.
It could be that these were postcards and that the letters were the company's logo or photographer's initials.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 October 08 21:01 BST (UK) »
I just saw that as well, definately CJA, I think!  :)
Jerome - Hampshire (including IOW)
Parsons - Surrey, Somerset and Devon

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 October 08 21:04 BST (UK) »
I have to say that the last place it looks like is Russia!  Russian Orthodox churches tend to have a specific type of cross on the cupola - and there are usually several of those!  This is only one tower and no cross on it.   And from what I remember, the Russians don't put clocks on the building either.  This architecture is not typical of Russian religious buildings which tends towards the Byzantine at times, when it is not medieval.

Just my thoughts.  Love to see some more pictures from the book though.  :)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 October 08 21:11 BST (UK) »
I think the first church (from the flickr site) is English ... there is a cock sorry !  chicken on top of the spire ... which I had a feeling was pecularly English
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 October 08 21:36 BST (UK) »
Apparently the weather 'chicken'  :) is a catholic thing and was supposed to go on all churches throughout Europe, from approx the 9th Century!
Jerome - Hampshire (including IOW)
Parsons - Surrey, Somerset and Devon