Author Topic: Which birth index Elizabeth Martha Barber  (Read 2142 times)

Offline horatiosdaughter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which birth index Elizabeth Martha Barber
« on: Wednesday 08 October 08 19:52 BST (UK) »
 ???  I am very confused about the London/Middx parishes.  Can anyone please help.  I am trying to find my g. grandmother's birth index.  She was born in 1871 and in the 1881 census it states b in St Georges Middx.  Would that be St George in the East? Which registration district would that have been? I have found one index in the name of Elizabeth Martha Barber registered Holborn in 1876 and another in 1877 in Poplar.  Her father was Henry b. 1853 Stepney and mother Elizabeth(?).  What can I do except order all the b. certs in the name of Elizabeth Martha Barber??  Please help

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which birth index Elizabeth Martha Barber
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 20:16 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootchat.
All of that area - to the Isle of Dogs was in Middlesex until 1889/1890.
St. George in the East was in Spitalfields, not Poplar.
St. George The Martyr was, and is, in Holborn.

Hope that helps.

PS I was a bit confused as well. You say she was born 1871 and then say you are looking at two births 1876 and 1877.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline horatiosdaughter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 20:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  suppose I will just have to order the ones I get the "feeling" for and take a chance

Offline Woody32

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 21:02 BST (UK) »
Go for the Mar 1871 one...

Barber  Elizabeth Martha     Lambeth  1d 338
LANCASHIRE = Wood,Howard,,Smethurst,Foxall,Cheetham,Brookes,Grime, Horrocks,Thornley,Arstall,Shawcross,Rowland,Mclean LINCOLNSHIRE = Featherstone Johnson,Toyne,Willson,

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 22:03 BST (UK) »
I saw that birth record Woody but Lambeth was in Surrey until 1889 and has no St. Georges Church.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 October 08 10:36 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1881 census, Elizabeth seems to be Henry and Elizabeth's eldest child - and if a birth record is hard to find for an eldest child it's always worth considering that he/she may have been born before the marriage, and so will appear in the birth index with the mother's surname.

In the 1871 (taken on 2nd April) census unmarried Henry Barber aged 18, porter born in London is living in Bermonsey with his mother Martha. (Henry in 1881 is 28 and a warehouseman)

(Class: RG10/ Piece: 628/ Folio: 47/ Page: 28)

Is this your Henry?  If it is, then Elizabeth aged 10 in 1881 must have been born before he married.

There is a possible marriage of a Henry Charles Barber with Elizabeth Margaretta Talbot in June quarter of 1871, in St Saviour (Southwark) district.

A birth of Elizabeth Margaretta Drane Talbot was registered in Thetford district in 1851.  Elizabeth Barber in 1881 gives her birthplace as Brandon - which is in Thetford district.

I'd be happier if I could find Elizabeth Margaretta in between her birth and her marriage, but have had no luck so far.  You might not want to do this, but a birth certificate for one of the later children of Henry and Elizabeth Barber would tell you for sure what her maiden name is.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 October 08 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Horatiosdaughter :),

Following on Galium's comments, there is a birth registration on freebmd for one Elizabeth Talbot in Mile End, June qtr 1871. St George would have been in this general area, I think. Martha could have been added at baptism without having to be on the registration.

I'm with Galium in suggesting that your next step should be ordering the birth cert for one of the other children.

Regards,
Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Woody32

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 October 08 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Horatio'sDaughter,

Could you clarify something for me?...do you know she was called Elizabeth Martha?

or is that a name you got off BMD ?
LANCASHIRE = Wood,Howard,,Smethurst,Foxall,Cheetham,Brookes,Grime, Horrocks,Thornley,Arstall,Shawcross,Rowland,Mclean LINCOLNSHIRE = Featherstone Johnson,Toyne,Willson,

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 October 08 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

This is possibly Elizabeth in the 1871 Census?

RG10, Piece 560, Folio 105, page 11 Mile End Old Town......

Eliza Talbot, 20, General Servant, b. Suffolk

Polarbear

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada