Author Topic: Great Clacton 1871 ,were your family here?  (Read 22706 times)

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Black Tar Rivers by HRH Mole in the hole
    • View Profile
Great Clacton 1871 ,were your family here?
« on: Thursday 09 October 08 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am attempting a project on Great Clacton.
As many of you who have connections with this area know ,Clacton -on-Sea was' born'  in 1872. Before that ,there was just Great Clacton ,a village 2 miles inland from the coast.This was a time of tremendous growth in this area and must have affected the local population who had led a Rural existence before the holiday town grew.
I am trying to build a snapshot in time of how our ancestors lived before Clacton came into being.
Having researched my own family back to the 1600's in Great Clacton (and still living here myself) ,I have often been frustrated at how little information there is available for the Genealogist to look at( I do thank goodness for Norman Jacobs and Kenneth Walker who have put together a few very interesting books ,but the emphasis is mainly on Clacton -on- Sea after 1872).We have a fantastic Local History Room at the Library ,but info for pre 1871 is scarce.Unless you visit Essex Record Office at Chelmsford ,there is not a lot of local information.
I have collated all the inhabitants of Great Clacton in the 1871 census and would love to hear from anyone who has connections with Great Clacton .
All the information that I gather will be put together and a copy left with the Local History Group to share with anyone with an interest in the area.Another Rootschatter has suggested that I build a web site so anyone who cannot get to Clacton can look on-line.I will attempt to do this as soon as I gather enough information.
So ,what I would like is stories ,photos ,anecdotes ect about the Last of the Great Clactonians.Anything ,no matter how small would be welcome .
Can you help?
Many Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Regards
Lin

Pratt ,Burgess,Gladwell  ,Taylor, Forrester ,Layzell ,Watling ,Merryfield Raven Essex
Field ,Warren.Davis, Spickett ,Peppiatt ,Bucks
White born Dorset moved to Hampshire,Shropshire and finally to Essex
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Buggs ,Day ,Stygal,Balls ,Suffolk ,Norfolk ,Hertfordshire
Venables ,Hertfordshire

Offline dob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Great Clacton 1871 ,were your family here?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 October 08 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lin my family came from Gt Oakley and my GGGradfather was married in Little Clacton. They were both born 1806. Colin

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 October 08 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin and Welcome to Rootschat .
I hope you like what you find here.Everyone is so helpful.
Were your ancestors in the Great Clacton Area around 1871 ?.
I still live in this area and am happy to try and find out anything if you need it.
Who were your Gt Gt Gt Grandparents?.
Lin
Pratt ,Burgess,Gladwell  ,Taylor, Forrester ,Layzell ,Watling ,Merryfield Raven Essex
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Venables ,Hertfordshire

Offline dob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 October 08 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Lin well My GGGrandfather was John Sargeant who married Sophia Bloomfield at Gt Clacton 5th Jan 1827 Ess vol 38G Here is an extract from my F HIst notes

John's parents are as yet uncertain but there is certainly a Sargeant family in Great Oakley back to the early 18th century. There is a  William and Mary Sargeant who from 1769 produced a number of children Daniel 1777, James 1775 and John 1771 could all be candidates  to be John's father  There are 2 John Sargeants who died in Tendring pre 1851 who could be related to this John. ie June 1839 page 12 vol 197 and Mar 1840 vol 12 page 211. A lot of the Sargeants named their sons John.  This |John died 1869. The birth details of John and Sarahs children are taken from the Parish Record as follows. Baptisms Gt Oakley DP47/1/9 Essex Record Office.
Subsequently they were all found on the Census documents.. Present at home at the time of the  1861 Census was John's wife Sophia, John, son 29 Ag Lab and James 15 also Ag Lab both born in Gt Oakley. In the 1851 Census John was 45 born in Gt Bromley Essex. Sophia  his wife was 45 born Gt Clacton Essex. Son John was 29 Ag Lab born Gt Oakley. Hannah 17 was at home born Gt Oakley, William 12 at home born Gt Oakley,George at home Gt Oakley,James 5 at home Gt Oakley. Sophia 2 at home born Gt Oakley. The death details of John shows him to have died in 1869 and his age as 66 which makes his date of birth as 1803.  His Baptism appears to be at the age of 3. His details of death says it was an abcess of the prostrate most likely today we would refer to it as cancer. The name on the certificate is as ever different ie Serjeant the name suffering a great deal from interpretation by everyone.

John's son James William moved to Colchester and became a policeman about 1870. He married  A Jane Starling who died so he re married Henrietta Isberne at Colchester. They then moved to Wanstead and later E london where he got work  in the building trade.Its kind of you to reply. Any clues would be appreciated as I cannot be sure of John's ancestry nor which branch of the Sargeant clan they hail from. Thanks Colin

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 October 08 08:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I have found some of the Bloomfield family in a book about the swing rioters of 1830.
As there is a couple of pages of it ,I shall PM you and send them on.
I will order the PR s of Great Clacton This week and see what they turn up.
Also found a interesting bit about another of the Bloomfields (I remember going to School with a Bloomfield ,way back in the 60's) ,so will send you that as well.
Lin
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Venables ,Hertfordshire

Offline dob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 October 08 09:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lin and a special thanks to you too for such a prompt reply. I only happened on this sight by pure chance thats great. If I can help you at all I am into the First World War a bit so if you have any relatives you want to trace I might be able to offer pointers. Colin

Offline Anne in OZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 November 08 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have family named Grimwood and Beer living in Gt Clacton at this time, they where agricultural labourers.
Anne In Oz
SCOTLAND: Bothwell Hunter Cumming Forbes Deans McPhail Wyness Malcolm Cameron Harvey McQueenie McCall Morrison
ENGLAND: Bailey Beer Beere Mann Worker Wines Page Turner Vagg Grimwood Heaton Stanbridge Stapleton Thompson Pittard Chick Dummelow Brown Dimmitt
IRELAND:Corkery O'Connor Reid McFadzen McFadden Oates McQueenie

Offline r973g

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my profile yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 November 08 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lin
I would like to join in on this one as I have interest in the area but go back to the late 1700's to my G'G'Grandfather who married (I think married)a Day in Great Clacton and lived in Weeley which is one of my main interests in the area.
The name Beer is familiar to me as there were families in Brightlingsea, though I can't tell you where they came from.
There was a church connection too about that time as the vicar was elsewhere and appointed rectors to both places.
Hope you don't find this too confusing, I have not done any work on the region for some time.
Ray
Greenaway
Greenway
Griggs-Essex & Kent
March-E. Anglia
Morley-Norfolk & Suffolk

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,sorry for the delay in getting back to you.I have been working night shifts ,so have not had the chance to reply.

Anne ,I see your Grimwoods were living St Osyth Road in 1871 .This is now part of St Johns Road  (St Osyth Road of now was not in existence then ,nowadays it is down nearer the town ).In 1871 they were living near Smokey House Farm(which was near the roundabout that is on the St Johns Road /London Road juntion) ,which is now demolished ,but I remember playing in the barns there when I was a child.On one of the walls was a slogan written 'Vote for Round' it was there for at least 90 years.There was also a pond nearby that the children avoided as it was supposedly haunted by a lady on a white horse who would come out the water late at night.I was born  about 100 yards from Smokey House Farm so know the area well.Just up the road is an area called Potash which part of still stands ,that is where my family were in 1871.
The area around where your ancestors lived was developed when the council put London Road in around 1920's.It now sports a huge roundabout and fire station there.Only a few cottages remain .
Did you know there was a large shop in Clacton for a long while called Grimwade and Clarkes ?.I spent many happy hours in there watching the money tubes zip along the wires to the cashiers office ,it's now MacDonalds. :(

I am also aware of the Beer(e) family as they stayed in the area but are found in Little Clacton and Toosey(St Osyth).I shall have to look at them a little more closely.
I have raided all I can from the library (Local History dept) and have amassed quite a lot of material .I shall spend today sifting through it and see what I can find.
Dob ,I will PM you later as I have ,hopefully sorted out how to send you the bits that are relevant to you.
Right ,off to take over the lounge floor with hundreds of bits of paper and try to sort them into some kind of order.I shall put up names of people I discover things about ,I have a death which looks interesting but sad ,and lots on various buildings ect.Then I must get the Parish Records for the area as I now have a micro fiche machine (Hurrah).
Thank You for your interest ,I have the feeling that this project is going to be bigger than I thought.
Lin
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Venables ,Hertfordshire