Author Topic: Malcolm Livingstone b. 1843 Stirlingshire, Scotland  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Tristesse

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Malcolm Livingstone b. 1843 Stirlingshire, Scotland
« on: Thursday 09 October 08 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hello people,

This is my first post here, it's a bit scary, but here goes!

I'm looking for a trace of Malcolm Livingstone's birth record.  He was born in Stirlingshire, St Ninians in 1843.
I have a trace of him in the 1871 census where he was in Perthshire with his wife (Margaret McNicol sometimes spelled MacNicol depending on the docs) and his eldest son Peter, aged 1.
He appears again in the 1901 census, a widower with his children.

He married Margaret in 1869 in Comrie, Perthshire.

I cannot trace his birth at all, therefore have no way of further researching his parents.  I know their names from the death cert (died 13/4/1916 in Carrington, Midlothian)

Parents' names: John Livingstone (b. Glenorchy?) and Janet Risk (b. Stirling?)  It is unclear exactly when their marriage took place. (Banns 17/11/1838 Parish of Fintry, Stirling)  It mentions that John was from Glenorchy.

Children:
Peter -  b. 1870 in Comrie, Perthshire
John b. 1872 in Comrie, Perthshire
Janet b. 1875 in Dumbarton, Dumbartonshire
Dugald b. 1880 in Carrington, Edinburgh
Margaret b. 1883 in Carrington, Edinburgh

Can anyone here help a novice like me?

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: Malcolm Livingstone b. 1843 Stirlingshire, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 October 08 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RC.
Don't be scared.  Most of us don't bite ;D

For a birth at that time, you should be looking at OPRs.  Best place to get them online is at ScotlandsPeople (SP)  http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

You need to register (free) but to view records, the minimum purchase is 30 credits (6GBP).  That's enough to get 5 copy records.

I've just had a very quick look but cannot see Malcolm's birth.

There is a Malcolm Livingston born Killin, Perthshire in 1850 but parents are Allan and Janet MacGregor, so not your man.

Depending on dates, IGI can be useful.  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bq/   

Since your enquiry is about a Stirlingshire birth, you may wish to post it on that board. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,114.0.html

Alternatively, as you've mentioned a couple of counties, it might be better on Scotland General Board. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,84.0.html

If you do post a follow up enquiry on another board, always refer to your original post to avoid duplication.

Hope this helps a bit despite me not having found his birth record.

Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 October 08 19:30 BST (UK) »
I've just searched SP from 1830 to 1854 for Livingston / Livingstone in the whole of Scotland where parents names are John and Janet.  There are 25 results, some in Perth and Stirling.  There are no Malcolms and none with the mother Risk.
Nothing immediately obvious on IGI either (except what you know of his parents).

Sorry.

Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline Tristesse

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 October 08 08:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking, Dave.

I have already spent a silly amount of money on SP trying to find his birth.  He seems to have disappeared totally.  Perhaps his birth wasn't registered at all?

Or, perhaps Malcolm was his second given name but he was known as that to avoid confusion with his father.  I have battled my way through a similar "case" on another (English) branch of the family.

I will do as you suggest and post on the Scotland General board - as you say they did travel about the counrty a bit.

Thanks for trying to help.

Tristesse.