Author Topic: LAXTON KNIGHTS HALL AND IN THE BARR  (Read 1728 times)

Offline lonk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
LAXTON KNIGHTS HALL AND IN THE BARR
« on: Monday 31 January 05 18:44 GMT (UK) »
HI

I HAVE ANCESTORS FROM LAXTON IN THE EARLY 1700S  ON THE BAPTISMS ONE SAYS KNIGHTS HALL AND THE OTHER SAYS FROM IN THE BARR    ANY IDEAS WHERE THESE ARE OR IF THEY ARE THE SAME PLACE PLEASE.

THANK YOU  LORRAINE
White  Barnsley Nottingham Bradford Rotherham
Keywood Nottingham Denaby
Elliott Rotherham Ecclesfield Sheffield
Battersby  Rotherham Derbyshire

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LAXTON KNIGHTS HALL AND IN THE BARR
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 April 05 23:30 BST (UK) »
 :)

I found this on rootsweb but then wondered if you are the same Lorraine?

...................................................................................................................................................

"The Bar Farm"
"New Bar Farm"
"Bar Cottages"
"Bar Farm"
are all on Egmanton Road (as it is named today).

If you search for Egmanton Road on www.streetmap.co.uk and look at the Laxton map ... the pointer shows Bar Road.

After a chat with a couple of "nice men" they told me that the farms and buildings had been around for "years and years". They refer to one of the farms as The Bar.

They said that one of the buildings at that point, or one a little towards Egmanton, had been a Toll Cottage ... which means the name probably came from "Toll Bar". I note on a list of Laxton records "In The Barr" is also written "In the Bar".

I asked about Knights Hall but didn't get anywhere. A little south of the Motte and Bailey (Medieval castle) in Laxton there is a Hall Lane (you can see Hall Lane near Bar Road on streetmap). I think this once led to a manor house built by the Roos family, lords of the manor. The manor was there in 1635 but sounds as if it wasn't used as a manor after 1621; decayed and was finally vacated 1660/70's.

There is also an area on sloping ground, just south of Laxton Church, still known as Hall grounds or Hall orchard. This was probably the site of a house built by Robert de Lexington for whom a sub-manor had been created before 1232 within Laxton. The fishponds there may have been associated with it. if you move the streetmap for (Egmanton) Bar Road south, I think this area would be where the word "Laxton" appears. (Information from Laxton Visitor Centre booklet)

Lexington is one of the old names for Laxton and it may be reasonable to assume that the de Lexingtons were known as "knights" ... ?perhaps?

Between Laxton and Egmanton, just off the Egmanton-Kirton road, there is also Hall Farm. I drove up to it but it seemed deserted and I was a bit dubious about getting out of the car to investigate further! It appeared to be in the middle of huge area of farmland, but beyond Laxton boundaries.

................................................................................................................................................

Don't know if this will help if it was you that had the reply before.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lonk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 April 05 17:19 BST (UK) »
HI JANE

THANK YOU BUT YES I HAVE HAD THIS REPLY TO MY QUERY

THANKS AGAIN LORRAINE

Offline bagie101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 July 05 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

I too have Laxton ancestors and have done a lot of research. The Barr (or Barr) was the gate that kept cattle etc kept on commons and open fields out of the village itself. Bar Farm and New Bar Farm are the last two houses as you leave Laxton on the Egmanton Road. Does this help.

Bob Parsons

Offline lonk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 July 05 19:11 BST (UK) »
Thank You Bob 

Will be visiting laxton soon so will look out for them

My Ancestors are the Taylor Families  Loads in Laxton they have taken some sorting out

Thanks again  Lorraine