Author Topic: Deaths at Seaton Sluice-burial place(s)?completed  (Read 42373 times)

Offline angel103

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths at Seaton Sluice-burial place(s)?
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 07 November 10 12:25 GMT (UK) »
I have a photograph of a gravestone in The Church of Our Lady at Delaval of a Sarah Ann Brotherick - formerly McCall (which is where my interest lies).  She was the widow of Alexander McCall.
Angela

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 13 December 10 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the response, I shall look into it further; as I become more familar with the site I have read through other posts, I think my immediate link is as you stated, as I believe the Dickinson's from Seaton sluice you have mentioned who have give you some information are my Father's (Passed) Aunts.

GazaD

A Dickinson

Your on the same dickinson family as me. Sally (sarah ) sharp was my mothers cousin and she married Wesley dickinson
belhay  Some of the family still live at seaton sluice. belhay

Offline wayneb322

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 10 February 11 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name is Wayne Broderick formerly Brotherick......im quite a way back with the family and believe i can help....

Offline wayneb322

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 10 February 11 10:03 GMT (UK) »
wayne broderick here formerly brotherick.....maybe i can help

Offline GhdMethodist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 24 April 11 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, can you enlighten me on Hannah Dickinson who married into the Elder's of Seaton Sluice? My grandfather's family were all from there and I think we are related (from the things I have read on this site)
Richard

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Sunday 24 April 11 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard. It's good to come across a connection to "my" Dickinsons!

I don't have a complete record, as Hannah isn't in my direct line, but this is what I do have. (If you come across any additional details, please pass them on.)

The Hannah Dickinson to whom I think you refer was born in Seaton Sluice in 1829. She married John Elder on 10.4.1851. Her daughter Ann Dickinson Elder was born in 1853 and I have a note of a second, but unconfirmed birth, Mary Ann Elder in North Shields in 1860.

Hannah's parents were John Dickinson (my ggg grandfather), born 21.3.1795 at Seaton Sluice, baptised 28.3.1795 at Earsdon and Ann, born around 1822 at Seaton Sluice(I think Ann's maiden name may have been Sankey, but that's unconfirmed.) John died before the 1841 census but I don't have an exact date. I don't have a date of death for Ann.

Their other children were:

Mary, born in 1823 at Seaton Sluice, married at Earsdon on 1.5 1845 to William Elder, born 1822 or 23. Their daughter, Mary Susan Elder was born in May 1855 and died on 18.11.70. William Elder died 19.6.1861, but I don't have a date of death for Mary. ( I do have an unconfirmed note that Mary may subsequently have married a Mr Brown.)

John (my great great grandfather) was born at Cramlington and baptised on 3.4.1825. He married Elizabeth Forster, born in Seaton Sluice in 1827, at Tynemouth on 26.8 1848. John died 9.3.1883 at Seaton Sluice, Elizabeth died on 28.02.1896. They had 9 children that I know of. (I can give you details if you'd like them, but I won't clutter up this post with them as they're not in your direct line.)

Stephen, born at Seaton Sluice in 1836. I don't have any other details for him.

Hannah's grandfather was Robert Dickinson born in Grindon and baptised 11.5.1762. He married Elizabeth Davy, born in Cambois and baptised 16.6.1768. She was still on the 1851 census return for Seaton Sluice, but again, I don't have an exact date of death.

Unconfirmed, but probable great grandparents are John Dickison (note the alternative spelling) of Grindon Mill who married Alice Maughan on 25.6.1759
Dickinson, Forster, Crisp, Davy, Sankey, Herdman, Watts, Elder, Seaton Sluice

Vezey, London

Offline Mrs. BT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath

I have just looked through the first 100 or so pics and have found 2 references to Bates Cottages, unfortunately neither one is the one you want. I will continue to look for the stone. Just to add further to the Grandiose of some gravestones. Many miners where killed at work and more often than not a Gravestone was erected as a result of fellow miners contributions.

Gary
Hi Gary,
We have ancestors resting in Earsdon Cemetery. Names Thew, Taylor & Dixon to name a few. Did you happen to take any snaps of these names. We also have a connection to Bates Cottage, but would need to check my tree for that. We are many miles away in  Australia. Hubby's father & Grandparents  ect were born in Seaton Sluice.

Many thanks
Kind regards
Bev

Offline micksharp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths at Seaton Sluice-burial place(s)?completed
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev

I have got some indexes of the plots in St Alban's. We have formed a St Alban's Earsdon Graveyard Group, with the intention of making an online resource/database of the graveyard.

I'll have a look in the indexes to see if there are any Thews, Taylors, or Dixons. Do you have any dates for them, as the indexes cover the graveyard, not the Council-run cemetery at the bottom of the hill.

Thanks, Mick
Sharp (Yorshire, Durham Northumberland)
Millar, Miller (Bannockburn, Edinburgh)
Brooks, Middleton, Liddle, Sutcliffe

Offline Mrs. BT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths at Seaton Sluice-burial place(s)?completed
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mick,
I do have some dates and full names on my PC which I just shut down... I will look them up in the morning and post.

Regards
Bev