Author Topic: Greatham, Sussex.  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Chainsaw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greatham, Sussex.
« on: Friday 10 October 08 17:26 BST (UK) »

I have WILLIAM AYLING, born 1767 at Greatham, died 1855 at Worthing, wed ANNE FAULKNER, 1768 - 1816, at

Felpham in 1790.

BUT, I have no clue as to who William's parents were, where they came from, when born, nothing.

So if I could ask someone to kindly look this up for me in the parish registers, it would be very helpfull.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Greatham, Sussex.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 October 08 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
How do you know he was born at Greatham?    Can you quote the 1851 census if that is your source?
Andrea

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 October 08 19:00 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1851 census it definitely says Greatham.
Looks like he is on his second wife by then.
Here is the marriage from SMI
William Ayling (widr) m Rhoda Page 24 Jan 1821 Broadwater, Sussex [botp by banns]
Witnesses Thos Harding & Mary Saysell

Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline Chainsaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 October 08 20:26 BST (UK) »

Thank you Sean, William's first marriage was to Anne Faulkener, daughter of Edmund Faulkner, 1745-1792, and his

wife Ann ( nee Murrell ). Marriage at Felpham Sussex on 19 May 1790. Ann died aged 48 in Sep 1816 at Broadwater.

But I found no mention of William's parents.

Offline Chainsaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 October 08 21:10 BST (UK) »

I cannot quote sources, my information came from my late Aunts papers.

She would not have a computer, nor would she have trusted third-party transcripts.

My understanding is that she purchased photofiche of the original Parish Registers

from the various district archives. Unfortunately, they were all lost during her house

clearance.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 October 08 09:28 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately parents were not named on marriage records at that time unless they happened to be witnesses.   As the 1851 census confirms he was born in Greatham then a look up there as you requested may be fruitful.   You can always get the film of the register to search at your nearest LDS centre.  That is probably what your aunt did - unless she went to the Sussex Record Offices or was near enough to go to the London sources.
Andrea

Offline Chainsaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 October 08 10:56 BST (UK) »

I received an e-mail from a County Records Archives Office the morning confirming that they are happy to post fiche

anywhere in the U.K. upon receipt of a fee.

Many people do not have a fiche reader, but my local FHS has several and will loan me one.

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 September 18 04:22 BST (UK) »
I have an autosomal DNA match with a descendant of William Ayling via his granddaughter Caroline Ayling (B. 1844). This puzzled me because I did not see a link between my Ayling ancestors (in the Graffham/Woolavington area) and the Aylings of Broadwater/Worthing.

In the 1851 census William says he was born about 1767 and from Greatham. I thought this might have been transcribed in error for Graffham. And there is a William born there in 1767...but he is deceased in 1767. However, there is a William Ayling born in 1766 in nearby Woolavington. There was a lot of movement between Graffham and Woolavington for Ayling families. For example, my 6X great grandfather James Ayling (1774-1860) was born in Woolavington. His father Thomas Ayling (1738-1820) was from Graffham. James' son John Ayling (1804-1890) raises his family in Graffham.

So what I am saying is that perhaps William Ayling of "Greatham" was the son of Thomas Ayling (1738-1820) of Graffham, brother to my 6X great grandfather James Ayling (1774-1860). If so, this other person and I would share about .7% of autosomal DNA from Thomas. Is this enough for Ancestry to pick up? I'm not sure.

The only way to know for sure would be for an Ayling male descendant of William to take a YDNA test and compare to my test results.  www.familytreedna.com/groups/ayling-surname/about/background

Cheers,

Chris Ayling