Author Topic: Georges' in Lambeth.  (Read 4297 times)

Offline EVG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Georges' in Lambeth.
« on: Monday 31 January 05 20:05 GMT (UK) »
 :) My George ancesters originated in Wiltshire and seem to have moved to London c 1848.  The address I have is Burnett St. Lambeth.
I'd like to know of any connections to my family.
Gorman. Clasby.  George.  Brooker.  Taylor. Snelgrove.  Evans. Bartlett.  Radburn, Pasby, Carter.
Wiltshire.  Hampshire.  London.  Pontypridd. Scotland

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Georges' in Lambeth.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Cannot find a Burnett St in Lambeth - nearest is a Burdett St , but no sign of any George's there - this was in 1851.
Sorry Cougar
Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)
This information is Crown Copywrite. from the www.national archives.go.v.uk.

DaveB

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi EVG and Cougar,

Have found a Burnett Street in Kennington on the 1898 Charles Booth map. It ran from Upper Kennington lane to Loepold Street and was an extension of Vauxhall Walk. On modern maps it has disappeared and is under an area called Spring Gardens. Anyway Lambeth and Kennington are neighbours so this might be a possible location.

Regards

Dave B

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave
This is in 1851 - wonder if it changed yet again??
Cannot find Leopold Street.
Found Vauxall Walk - but that says see Barrett St - but gives no references and doesn't come up on the Lambeth street index.
There are 47 references to Kennington Lane but none that give Burnett St as a sub reference.
Cougar
Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Kennington comes under Lambeth Reg Dist.  I have the complete 1851 census name index for Kennington 1st and 2nd Sub-Districts, so if you give me the forenames of the GEORGES that you are looking for, I will check for you.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

DaveB

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cougar et al,

Have now checked the 1862 Stanford map and it shows Kennington Lane as Upper Kennington Lane, Leopold Street as Cross Street. The area called Spring Gardens is shown with the road layout as in the 1898 Booth map but no street names and no buildings!!. I'm sure something was there but it is not being detailed so the plot thickens and I will continue to look at various maps to see if I can pin it down.

The following address shows the layout and Burnett Street is the extension of Vauxhall Walk southwards (you can see A-U-X-H moving northwards on the map.

http://www.motco.com/Map/81006/SeriesSearchPlatesFulla.asp?mode=query&artist=390&other=745&x=11&y=11

Regards

Dave B

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Rick,
I had started trawling the 1572 piece but 1700 pages will take ages - if you can narrow that down - will be great.
Cheers Cougar

Offline EVG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Completed
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 23:43 GMT (UK) »
 :)Firstly, thanks Dave, Cougar and Rick for help.  One of the Georges was married in Kennington, so you could be right about Burnett St. Dave.  I used to live at the Oval, Kennington but haven't heard of it.
Rick, some of my names:
Charles Henry (Gt/grandfather) also my fathers name.
Louise Anne and Louisa.  Charles W.    Charlotte.
Francis(Frank) I know married Rose in Kennington.
Thanks for any further help you can give.
I couldn't get back to you any sooner...my computor gave up on me this morning!!
Eileen
Gorman. Clasby.  George.  Brooker.  Taylor. Snelgrove.  Evans. Bartlett.  Radburn, Pasby, Carter.
Wiltshire.  Hampshire.  London.  Pontypridd. Scotland

Offline spartan90210

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 August 12 03:28 BST (UK) »
I hope I may be of some assistance to your search for the George family. My great grandfather (William Alfred George) was one of the George family living at 10 Burnett Street listed on the 1891 Census. I only came across your post by looking for Burnett Street on current maps and having similar problems you had in locating it.
Names - Burns; Crichton; Doyle; Trotter; Morrison;

Places - Stonehouse; Dundee; Coatbridge