Author Topic: 1901 census  (Read 8345 times)

Offline Quigs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1901 census
« on: Saturday 11 October 08 13:27 BST (UK) »
Would someone please be kind enough to do a search on the 1901 census for my grandmother, Elizabeth/Lizzie/Eliza Crown?  I think Elizabeth was born about 1892, but I have not been able to find her birth certificate. Elizabeth was the daughter of William Crown, she is supposed to have been born in Midcut, Donegal but civil and local searches have not found her.  I know that at one time she worked as a servant for a family called Corscadden (sp) who were farmers at Culmore.  She also gave her address as Butcher Street on her marriage certificate in 1923.  i have her death and marriage certificates but until I find her birth certificate I don't know who her mother was as her father was married twice.

Thank you
Moira

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 October 08 15:07 BST (UK) »
1901 census for Co. Londonderry isn't yet indexed but checked Irish Genealogy database and the following people with the surname CROWN are listed under Co.Derry: John, Margret, Matthew, James, Bella, Mary Jane, Sarah, Rachel, Samuel, James, Thomas, Samuel.
No birth/baptism listed for Elizabeth Crown (or any variation of Elizabeth)
No marriages for William Crown
1901 census for Co. Donegal they have listed the following Crowns: William, Maggie, William, John, Mary, James, Isabella, Mary, James.

Do you know that dates of her father's 2 marriages? and names and birthdates of any siblings?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Quigs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 October 08 23:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, I didn't expect a reply so quickly.  I was hoping my grandmother might pop up in Derry because I have not been able to find her in Donegal.  The Crowns you have in Donegal look as if they could be mine.  My grandmother had brothers, William, John and James and sisters, Maggie and Mary, it's possible there could have been others also.  William Crown married his second wife, Mary Houston/Huston on 5th February 1901 so hopefully she would be in the house on census night.  Are all the Crowns in the same family?

I have found a marriage record for a William Crown married to a Sarah Doherty on 11th February 1882. This couple also had a daughter, Eliza Jane, in 1886. I thought this might be my grandmother, but a second cousin I have found told me that William Crown's first wife was called Tinney, he said his grandmother was definitely named Tinney, and his father and my grandmother were brother and sister.  He thinks that this William Crown is probably a nephew of his father.  I have also found a death certificate for Sarah Doherty Crown for 1st February 1893. She appears to have died in childbirth.  I even wondered if William Crown had married three times and not twice or whether my grandmother was a daughter of Mary Houston from before she married William Crown.  I have had searches done for a Tinney/Crown marriage in Donegal and have not been able to find anything.

Thank you
Moira

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 October 08 10:25 BST (UK) »
The database I checked does not list the relationship or any other details from 1901 census and I cannot guarantee it's 100% accurate as I have found errors in other records on the site.
William Crown's wife Mary should be listed in his household at the time of the 1901 census.
The 1911 census for Ireland is eventually being put online by National Archives, Dublin (later 1901 also) and that might help as married women were asked how many years married and how many children they had (and how many were living).

Offline Quigs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 October 08 11:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I really appreciate your help.  I will send for copies of Crowns households in the Donegal census and just keep on looking.  It will be a great help when the 1911 census is on line. I am also waiting for the Derry Genealogy Centre to reopen as there is an 1851 marriage record I am interested in.

Best wishes
Moira

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 October 08 11:13 BST (UK) »
What are the names of bride and groom for 1851 marriage?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 October 08 12:28 BST (UK) »
Moira, I found the following:-

William Crown born 17 Sept. 1870 in Newtownlimavady (now Limavady) Co. Londonderry.
Father James Crown
Mother Elizabeth Hillis

I could find no marriage record.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 October 08 12:47 BST (UK) »
Also saw other records for that family but if William Crown's nephew was married in 1882 thought it is likely to be too young to be the correct William born in 1870.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 October 08 13:18 BST (UK) »
This is another one who might be too old.

Eliza Crown born 13 June 1870 in Ballykelly, Newtownlimavady.
Father John Crown
Mother Mary Anne Neill

The other Limavady family,mentioned earlier, also had two other sons John b1865 and Samuel b1868.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim