Author Topic: DUMBARTONSHIRE MIs - Lookup for BURNS and BURNISTON please  (Read 4084 times)

Offline AdrianBurns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DUMBARTONSHIRE MIs - Lookup for BURNS and BURNISTON please
« on: Sunday 12 October 08 02:57 BST (UK) »
Dear listers

I am wondering whether any of you who may have MIs for Kirkintilloch and Cumbarnauld may be able to assist me with my dilema.

Can somebody please check the MIs for Kirkintilloch or Cumbernauld for a David Burniston, Burns, or variant thereof who died between about 1853 and 1858?

My ancestor David BURNISTON brought his family, including wife Mary RAMSAY and children William, Martha, Jane, John, Eliza and Betsey, to the Cumbernauld area in the late 1840s presumably to excape the Irish famine. They had further children Mary (born Cumbernauld), Samuel and David (born Kirkintilloch). The appear in the 1851 census living at Newhouse Deerdyke, Kirkintilloch (later simply Deerdyke) which is a farm situated next to (and beneath!) the big Irn Bru factory in Cumbernauld.

David however vanishes with no trace of a death record before 1858. His widow Mary Burniston of Deerdyke appears in the Poor Relief minutes between 1858 and the early 1860s.

I am assuming that David died defore 1855 when registration was compulsory. His youngest child David was born in no earlier than late 1853 or early 1854.

The family changed their name from Burniston (also spelled Burneston, Burnistone) to "Burns" in the early 1860s and some family members are also recorded as Burnes and Burnis during this progression.

Can anybody please shed some light on any burial records that may be available for David Burns/Burniston and his children?

Many thanks for any assistance you can give,
Adrian Burns
Australia

Offline tombur1463

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DUMBARTONSHIRE MIs - Lookup for BURNS and BURNISTON please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 06:56 BST (UK) »
Adrian
Picked up your post last year when I was researching the Burniston family name from their 1850's roots in Armagh and found details of David Burniston of Deerdyke Farm from the 1851 Scottish census as having been born in Ireland.

During our researches in Armagh we have come across birth records of John Burniston (1843) and Samuel Burniston (1845) born to David ( labourer ) and Mary Burniston of Dromilt. I believe that this townland is now known as Drummilt and is in the Parish of Loughgilly adjacent to the Townlands of Bolton and Cornagrally where my ancestors farmed ( Griffith's Valuation 1864 ) and that the David and Mary referred to were the same as those who later lived at Deerdyke Farm. Do you have any information on David's family in Armagh before they moved to Scotland ? 

Also, I recently had an e-mail from a Dean Reynolds in Melbourne who's great grandfather was Samuel Burniston and the eldest brother of my grandfather Thomas Burniston born in Armagh ( along with several siblings ) between 1863 and 1874 to Robert and Jane Burniston ( Heaney/Hannen ).
Robert and Jane moved to East Kilbride ,Lanarkshire in 1874 ands are buried in Rutherglen cemetery ,Glasgow. The strange thing is that Samuel Burniston also changed his name to Burns on arriving in Australia.

Grateful if you would let me know where you are based in Australia and whether you have any information which might connect our families.

Best regards

Tom Burniston
Bramhall
Cheshire

P.S My e-mail address is (*) if you wish to contact me directly.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php