Author Topic: information on christie family of 15-17  (Read 20597 times)

Offline sicknote

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: information on christie family of 15-17
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi monicalsel
 James Jamieson was buried on the 29 April 1950 aged 75 (Retired Shale Miner) Residing at 63 Auldhill Crescent,Bridgend, His Wife Agnes Mitchell/Jamesion was buried on the 10 April 1943 aged 67. They are buried in Section L 339. There is also a Raffaelina Jamieson buried in the same plot on the 11 Feb 1947 aged 21,she was residing at 2 Auldhill Road,Bridgend.

If you go on to the West Lothian Family History Society website you can purchase a copy of the burial record,which covers Linlithgow,Whitburn,Fauldhouse,Livingstone,and Woodbank,up till 1975 

I Have a copy and it is full of intresting information.

Sicknote
Welch, robinsons,rogers,beson from durham
paterson,lanarkshire
morrow,co antrim
mckay,co cavan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 10:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Sicknote - lots of very useful info there for Robert  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sicknote

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 11:41 BST (UK) »
On the burial records there are Christie's buried at Linlithgow in 1888. might be part of the same family.
sicknote
paterson,lanarkshire
morrow,co antrim
mckay,co cavan

Offline jollyrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 13:36 BST (UK) »
Great information thank you,  im having a hard time writing it all down and keeping track of it.
looking at the deaths, the children cant be elizabeths and henrys unless elizabeth was having children aged 8. is it possible that the children mentioned are henrys siblings.
margaret would have been aged 32, 35 and 38 for the earliest of the graves and so would probably have been still having children.
a problem arises again with henry being margarets son as we estimate he was born in 1885 and margaret was born in c 1877 ( if the death record found is the right person).
i am getting very confused trying to work it all out.
we are pretty sure that it was henry himself that came over from ireland. would his parents have followed after. is it possible margaret is a second wife for william christie ( henrys father) that he met in scotland?

could ann o'brien be henrys sister with a married name? she would be around the same age as henry (ann b c1884).

there was talk of some possible infidelity in the family so maybe some children come from that??
our source of family info and rumours are aunt phyllis. she is the youngest of elizabeth jamiesons/christies children but she was raised by her elder sister (my grandmother elizabeth) and so only knows the family from holiday visits to scotland she made as a child. she was born in 6 auldhill avenue in 1945, auldhill is an adress that is coming up a lot.
a family story is that the family lived in a poor part of town in a small house with no running water, and that when robert ( henrys brother) became an mp he got them a much nicer home ( the one in auldhill) that had running water.
it appears from death reord and census that the family moved from bridgend to auldhill in around the period suggested by the tale,i dont know west lothian at all would bridgend have been worse off than auld hill? does the story hold any water?
we have tried to trace a robert christie mp/jp but have had no luck at all.
i am not as fast as you at discovering new information, you have both saved me months of work and probably uncovered some things i would never have found out!
robert

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 14:56 BST (UK) »
Robert

Remember that on Henry's 1920 marriage he shows as just 18 yrs old so born circa 1902 and this birth year tallies with the death details given by Sicknote (1972 aged 69). Also, from Henry's MC, parents were confirmed as William and Margaret (Gibson). I would imagine the early deaths showing from 1908, provided by Sicknote, would be for Henry's siblings. I would look at that 1909 death entry for Susan which will confirm parents for you. It will also let you confirm that William and Margaret and family were already in Linlithgow.

It will be impossible to guess who Ann O'Brien was unfortunately without looking at the death cert for her.

Monica  :)

Offline sicknote

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 15:24 BST (UK) »
I have came across two other children from 4 Auldhill Crescent,
Child Christie buried on the 13 jan 1948 Still born and a Mary christie buried on the same day she was 3 and 1/2 hours old.
Sicknote
paterson,lanarkshire
morrow,co antrim
mckay,co cavan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 15:50 BST (UK) »
Sounds like twins Sicknote  :'(

Monica

Offline jollyrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 17:25 BST (UK) »
sorry i have spotted an error from my family tree i had henry as being born in 1885, though im not sure why i did that so i was getting very confused trusting that date, but you are right it all makes a bit more sense now!! sorry for the error, i ahve 2 young children and sometimes i try to enter new info with them on my knee and it leads to errors. sorry
i agree that the girls sound like twins. there are an awful lot of child deaths was it normal to have so many or is it cos they were particularly poor, was there a disease going around at the time that would explain some deaths, i know you cant be sure without death certs but are there any obvious contenders.
i will get into confirming where margaret and william originate from and the death certificate for susan.
thanks again!
rob

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 19:39 BST (UK) »
Rob

I've looked at that death cert for Susan in Jan 1909. She shows as born in 1908 (4 months old at her death). Parents confirmed as William Christie and Margaret Gibson, so they had arrived in Linlithgow by late 1908/early 1909 - they show at Bridgend  ;) Susan's birth is not showing on Scotlands People (SP), so likely the family came over after her birth between Oct 1908 to Jan 1909.so you will have to order one of the later births via SP or the GROS. There is the on line cut off for births on SP of 1907, anything after this date has to be ordered. 

Now in respect of finding out where in Ireland they hailed from, it is incredibly hard to normally find this info out, however a couple of routes open to you:

1. Scottish birth certs from mid 1860s include the date and place of parents' marriage  :) So, any of their children's birth certs from Scotland will include this information.  You know that Susan doesn't look to have been born in Scotland. There are only 8 Christie births showing in Linlithgow on SP between 1909 - 1919 (avoiding anything from 1920 when you know Henry married which would confuse matters).  I would probably look to order either of the Mary births (corresponding with the deaths that Sicknote found). Linlithgow births for a Mary Christie show on SP in 1912 and 1915.

2. The next census due is the release of the 1911 census, rumoured for early release at some point next year. A lot of people of Irish origin simply stated Ireland for a birth place, however, you may be lucky and find that William and Margaret show an actual Irish County for their birth place.

Best route at this stage would be to order the birth of one of the girls, Mary, that died young.

Monica