Author Topic: "Hay Bottom/s" Taxal...any ideas?  (Read 12542 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: "Hay Bottom/s" Taxal...any ideas?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 April 11 22:37 BST (UK) »
Oh, thank you both!  When I get a bit of time later on, I'll see what I can see, and let you know, Ray  :D

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 April 11 22:57 BST (UK) »
Whaley bridge has its own forum - http://www.whaleybridge.net/forum/ - you could try joining/posting and see what comes up. I bet someone who lives there would know. Horwich End is just a cross-roads at the southern end of the town and not really a separate place.
Ray

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue

I've had a word with a couple of people who might know where Hay Bottom is but neither have heard of it. One point I ought to make is that Taxal/Whaley Bridge is actually in Derbyshire and not Cheshire.

Ray

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 April 11 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue. I've looked at the entries for Haybottom from 1841 through to 1901 which confirm my earlier guesstimate of its location. All bar 1851 locate it in Cheshire>Taxal>ED6; 1851 is ED1. They all give clues as to the whereabouts of the Haybottom cottages, so it's well worth browsing those returns and comparing them with old maps eg on the site I mentioned previously.
I've also looked further at the old maps themselves (especially scale 1:2,500). What caught my eye is the naming of 'Heybottom Bridge' in a 1909 Cheshire map (co-ordinates roughly 401008 / 380626), and a 1921 Derbyshire map. On these two maps there is a row of cottages immediately to the west of the bridge, between Sunny Bank on the north side of the Macc Road and Sunny Side to the south, which aren't on earlier maps. So they can't be Haybottom cottages as those were in existence back in 1841. On the other hand, a bit further west just before the lane leading to Reddish farm, there is a collection of cottages both fronting and end-on to the Macc Road which do appear on earlier maps - though i haven't been able to go back further than 1881, scale 1:10,560. Given their location coupled with the context of Haybottom in the various census returns, and their proximity to what is in later maps identified as Heybottom Bridge, I suspect that these are the Haybottom cottages. That could also make sense of shallcross's observation that Haybottom was the area around the river Goyt reaching [westwards] along the Macc Road.
And it looks like the cottages might still be there. Zoom in on the 2010 OS map and you can see the outline of their distinctive layout.
That's my best guess as to their location. I'll be only too happy to be proved wrong and learn something in the event - or indeed to be found right!
Btw, I've just looked at the 184x tithe apportionments. Found 3 plots, Taxal 248, 301 and 302, all owned by J W Jodrell, called Hey Bottom (pasture), Hey Bottom Wath (meadow) and Hey Bottom Nursery (meadow). Occupiers respectively David Adams, Garton Hall, and Joseph Coleby. Unfortunately, I couldn't link through to the maps themselves as there's some system error at the mo', so couldn't see if the plots are anywhere near where I think the cottages might be, but lo and behold Joseph Coleby is living in Haybottom according to the 1841 census...
Birtle

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 April 11 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Birtle
I've PM'd you my email address. If you can let me have a copy of the maps, or a link, I'll pop down, have a look and take some photos so we all know what we're talking about.

I suspect that Jodrell was some big-noise in the area. He has a pub named after him - the Jodrell Arms - next to Whaley Bridge station.
Ray

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 April 11 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Birtle and Ray :)

I'm so sorry, I haven't had a minute to spare to look into this as I would like to have done.  I will do so when I find five minutes to myself...

Ray - you PM'd me, but addressed the PM to Birtle - did you send one to them as well?

Thanks so much to both of you for your interest and help :)

Cheers
Prue

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 April 11 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue, No need to apologise at all! Ray and I are happily working on the case, Ray in particular with camera at the ready and me, as I'm not at all local to Cheshire (though I had relatives who moved to the Whaley Bridge area in the 19th cent, hence my interest), with my nose buried in maps. We'll keep you posted.
Birtle
If you like, could you PM me with your personal email address?

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 April 11 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Birtle  :D
Well it's always nice to have someone else doing the work  ;D  Thank you both very kindly  :)
I would love to find out what you find out, and shall forward my email address.
Cheers
Prue

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 April 11 09:06 BST (UK) »
I just hope I'm not spoiling the fun for you  :-\ Still, there's always the distinct possibility that I'm barking up the wrong tree (and so could have sent Ray on a wild goose chase!), so comparing all those census returns with maps when you've a mo' should pay off even so.
Thanks for the email addy - I'll be in touch.
All best,
Birtle