Author Topic: Needham/Starston - Stanton  (Read 873 times)

Offline RossT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Needham/Starston - Stanton
« on: Monday 13 October 08 23:58 BST (UK) »
 Looking for the baptism for James Stanton (born about 1767-1770), of Weybread, married at St Cross South Elmham, 1796 to Sarah Smith.  Died Pulham 1829, miller.  Not found in Weybread CofE registers.  Family in both Norfolk and Suffolk especially close to the border (from late 1600's on).

Would appreciate if someone could check the Needham and Starston registers for his birth (and any other syblings).

Also if anyone has the 'independent' church registers for Weybread or close parishes.

RossT

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Needham/Starston - Stanton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi RossT,

Certainly there were stanton's still inSouth Elmham area, as one was milling there between 1841-1874 (South Elmham St. Michael).

Your man's father (?), Jacob Stanton, was milling at a windmill in Weybread from about 1768-1794, when he went bankrupt.  This was not the end of his story as he invented (1795) some sort of bone setting contraption, which he patented.

Any info on death of this chap (jacob) would be good.  My only interest being that he was a miller.

I hope this info (15 years late) helps,

Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 19:10 BST (UK) »
There is a burial 3 January 1818 in Weybread for a Jacob Stanton, born c1752 according to the National Burial Index.

He married Mary Berry of Redenhall in Weybread 24 March 1780
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 19:50 BST (UK) »
Windy,
Good to hear from you.

Re milling at Weybread I suspect you have
Ipswich Journal, 22 Oct 1768
All persons indebted to the Estate and Effects of Jacob Stanton, late of Waybread ... pay their respective debts to Mrs Lydia Stanton, his widow ...

FindMyPast Phillimore Registers
Marriage Mendham, Suffolk
Jacob Stanton, w, of Weybread & Lydia Godbolt [signed Godbold], lic, 15 Nov 1765

Burial
Jacob Stanton, bur 22 Sep 1768, St Andrew, Weybread

regards

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 00:17 BST (UK) »
Evening both of you!

Yes, I have the 1768 IJ notice, and it seems his son/widow took over the business as Jacob's (the son's) assignees were selling his household effects along with a stock of flour from his mills in 1794.  This was when he was bankrupted.

At the time he appears to have had 1 watermill, called Weybread Two Mills, and 2 post windmills; one in Weybread and the other in Pulham St. Mary (Nfk).

Not been able to pin anything on Jacob senior, other than his death, but I'm still digging, however, with about +500 mill sites in Suffolk I have to flit where the info takes me.

Cheers,
Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 08:48 BST (UK) »
Spotted Jacob's invention of a leg fracture box. I wondered if he was the "Stanton of Weybread" referred to here in an item about "drilling v dibbling".

"In some districts it (ie. drilling) declines; and while dibbling spreads rapidly, this practice moves with difficulty. The kinds of drills are various; Mr Cork's variations of Mr Ridge's, and a new one, which promises to be an improvement on all, and which was invented by Mr Stanton of Weybread, is now made by Mr Brock, a millwright at Hartstone"

Extract from "Of the agriculture of the County of Suffolk ...", author Arthur Young, published 1794.

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 10:55 BST (UK) »
Sounds like my man!  Good spot!!!

A lot of millers had to improvise and invent ways around issues with their "going gear", and some used this skill elsewhere.  Jacob seems to be a good example.

Windy

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 11:00 BST (UK) »
Also, pretty sure that Mr. Brock was millwright in nearby Harleston (so perhaps Arthur Young made a minor typo.

Harleston is just across the river from Weybread (about 1 km from the watermill) so would be the most obvious place.

Windy

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 14:13 BST (UK) »
I think I need to get along to Sp******rs!
Revisited article and it is "Harlfstone" - the letter "f" represents the long or medial "s" in use at that period - therefore reads as Harlstone.