Author Topic: James A Bryson  (Read 6841 times)

Offline moominnana

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James A Bryson
« on: Tuesday 14 October 08 14:20 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out more information about my grandmothers brother James A Bryson, he was born 11th January 1900 in Greenock, It says I Broomhill Street Greenock but on the 1901 census it states he was living in Drumfrochar Road.  My grandmother Helen McAlpine Bryson was born at 1 Broomhill Street also.

James parents were James Alexander Bryson [b.1876-1944] and Leah Wilkie [b.1876-1907]  I have James birth certificate but can find no more information about him I wonder if he may have emigrated] 

James father James Bryson remarried after his wifes death.  He married an Elizabeth Torrance in 1908.

any help would be much appreciated thanks

damnonii

Re: James A Bryson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 20:52 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the Watt Library's bmd list?
http://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/GeneralR.aspx?id=830&catid=1015

BRYSON Leah Wilkie, wife of James Bryson, died at her father's, 20 Sugarhouse Lane, Greenock on
28th.Sept 1907 (Greenock Telegraph 30.9.1907)

There's other Bryson's there but Leah's the only one I can identify as your family.  No sign of James A. unfortunately.

However there's a likely marriage showing for a James Alexander Bryson in nearby Port Glasgow in 1924 have you checked this out?  With his wife's name you could see if she died in Scotland. 
There's only 3 hits for a James Alexander Bryson b. 1901 +/- 3 years, died 1924-2006, including one in Port Glasgow in 1966.

Lora.

Offline moominnana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
thanks for the reply.  I have the BMD of Leah Wilkie, she sadly died aged just 31, just a few weeks before that her 7 week old daughter died so very tragic but not unusual I have found, I also have the BMD for most of her family and the Bryson family, its just the James born 1900 that is hard to find.  I will double check the Port Glasgow one but I think I have looked at that already, but thanks very much for your help its much appreciated.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 21:21 BST (UK) »
James Alexander Bryson d. September 30th 1927. He was single and died in Kilmarnock, but usually resided at 4 Watt St, Greenock. His father, of Fullarton Terrace, Irvine, signed the death. Cause of death was extensive burns and scalds. :(

The RCE reads: "Injuries sustained on 29th September, 1927, in the [added: stoke] hole of the Steamship, King George V, and at a point in the Firth of Clyde near the entrance to Irvine Harbour, in the Parish of Irvine, by the bursting of a steam boiler tube, per verdict of Jury."

I would imagine a newspaper report from the time would give you more details.

hume24

damnonii

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 21:38 BST (UK) »
 :'( 
Brings home the hazards of working in ships.  I should've thought of Kilmarnock that's where my ancestor died after an accident at Troon docks. 

I've got the newspaper articles in the Scotsman, pm me you're email address and I'll send a copy.
Edward Kane who was with him also died.

Lora

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Lora,

Just noticed Edward Kane's entry below James'. He was 40 and death details the exact same. :-[

hume24

Offline moominnana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 21:53 BST (UK) »
hi to both of you and thanks for the information it is greatly appreciated.  I have only been on this site a few times and still getting the hang of it so Lori could you send me a pm then I can reply and give you my address as I am still not too sure how to do it.

Its very sad really not a good ending for this family, although James sister my grandmother lived to be 81
thanks again
Diana

damnonii

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana, I've sent the articles let me know you get them ok.  I had a look for anything on the investigation into the accident but don't see anything reported.  Might be being very cynical here but I'm not sure a pleasure steamer would enjoy the publicity of a report into its faulty boilers. 

Lora.

Offline moominnana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 23:06 BST (UK) »
hi Lora,
I got the articles ok, thanks for them.
I noticed on the first one it did not even mention them by name and even the second one did not say too much.  I agree with you they probably did not want too much publicity, I had a look to see if there was anything on google about it but did not find anything.

I only put that article on here this afternoon and I am really grateful for the help I have had.

thanks again
Diana