Author Topic: 1851/61 William Donovan  (Read 11401 times)

Offline quirk_cantwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851/61 William Donovan
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks halfasleep,
I will see if I can google it. Cant help you with the original Irish religion . I know John's son Stephen John Vernan Connolly who is my kids grandfather married into a very strong Cof E family so religions may have changed. John and Louisa are the only ones I am 100% sure abt until I get some certificates. I know his father came from Cork so he was possibly Catholic.
Sorry I cant give you more answers.
Kind regards
Shauna
Full,Leer,Fisher,Ashton,Brown,Dooley,Northeast,Tuff Golding, Ryan Donohue,Page,Quirk,McGrath,Cantwell,Swan,Mann,Hoare,Burge,Bayliss,Westbury.

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 11:31 BST (UK) »
Not too much of a big deal - just thought it may be an extra avenue to explore - I'll have a look through in case anyway.

I've also just bought a book for the war memorial in Maesteg, so I have a full list of WW1 and WW2 causalties - I'll look through that too and see if any matches come up for your names - fairly common, so possibly going to have some false positives, but may be of some use all the same.

Will post again tonight at some point
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline quirk_cantwell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 12:06 BST (UK) »
 8)
Have just been playing on the map. I can see that from Maesteg Row to Coytraherne Cottages (where Jerry and the family were in 1881 before moving back to Maesteg Row) is abt 10 mins drive or a rail trip . Do you know how close the mine was to Maesteg Row?
Too many questions, sorry
Shauna
Full,Leer,Fisher,Ashton,Brown,Dooley,Northeast,Tuff Golding, Ryan Donohue,Page,Quirk,McGrath,Cantwell,Swan,Mann,Hoare,Burge,Bayliss,Westbury.

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 12:58 BST (UK) »
No that's fine - which mine though? I dread to think how many there were in the area at that time, but assuming that the Maesteg Row I've told you about is the same, you would have been in walking distance of at least two that I can think of off-hand, but there were a good 20 mines operating in the Llynfi Valley around that time!

Not sure what dates they operated from, but you had Saint Johns (look at Maesteg Row as your centre point on these):

North to Bridgend Road, and then follow that westerly until you see Maesteg Rail - north of that you can see some blank brown and green land - that's the old site of St Johns.

East to Christopher Road - I'm almost certain there were another one or two mines on the hillside behind this road - unsure of the names.

Follow the same Bridgend Road South until you see Mill View. There was another mine in that area - quite a big one from memory.

South onto Bethania Street. Follow that south and you can see Bethania Close. Continue south past that road, and there is an unnamed road shaped (vaguely) like an ''S''. There are fields either side of that road where it adjoins Bethania Street. The field to the south of that road had a mine on it as well - not sure if that was called Oakwood Pit or Garth Pit though.

And there were countless others all around the valley, but from memory, these would have been the closest.

Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
White - Kinsale, Cork

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 13:01 BST (UK) »
Forgot to ask as well. I've not got access to the Census in work, but do you have any idea of what other streets came before and after Maesteg Row/Company Row on the census returns? May give you (and me)a better idea of where the road were located

Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
White - Kinsale, Cork

Offline quirk_cantwell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 21:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info on the mines  :)
In 1901 John Connolly was living with his sister Mary now married to Stephen Maloney at 8 Maesteg Row. Louisa's parents Thomas Davies and Mary Hannah were living in Arbertillery in 1891 but when Thomas dies Mary Hannah marries Adam Williams and they are living at 17 Maesteg Row in 1901. In 1881 Jerry Connolly and Mary are living at 2 Coytaherne Cottages Cwmdu but when Jerry dies in 1887 she moves back to 14 Maesteg Row. In 1901 she is married to James Colston and is living at Iver Ter Cwmdu.  In 1871 Mary and William Donovan are at 12 Maesteg Row and I think they are still therein 1881 but it is called Company Row. After William dies in 1885 Mary I am told is still at 12 Maesteg Row in 1891 and maybe 1901. If I am right abt Company Row in 1881 there were Donovan families living at 5, 4, and 14 Company Row but I havent as yet worked out if they are related to William.
I hope this isnt too confusing
Cheers
Shauna

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 22:19 BST (UK) »
These are the name matches I have found in the local books - whether any are your lot, I don't know, so up to you to see if they're your lot! :-

No-one with the surnames Connolly or Donovan listed in WW1 and 2 casualties.

Following from The Shamrock and the Leek
Some random names from baptismal register (Our Lady & Saint Patricks - catholic) volume 1 (covering 08/04/1874 to 31/12/1875):
Anastasia Donovan
Ann Donovan

St Mary's and St Patricks Maesteg - school register 07/06/1909 to 14/06/1910:
Patricia Donovan - 5 Maesteg Row - born 1905
John Donovan - 33 Golden Terrace - born 1904

This is aken word for word - hope you enjoy!

''Chapter One - rural to industrial

Mary Colston - My father-in-law, Jeremiah Connolly, was killed at the iron works at the Forge, Maesteg in 1877, leaving a wife and six children. Mrs Connolly had no compensation and had to go to work at the iron works earning ten shillings (50p) per week. She was there for five years until the works closed. She was then given parish relief of five shillings (25p) per week.''

Apart from the year of death being out by ten years, and possibly adding a sixth child (you seem to have five), I wonder if this is your ancestor?

Little bit about Maesteg Row:
''There were lodgers in every house in Maesteg Row when I was a child. At the top of the street was a long flat raised stone seat known as the 'rodney stone' which could seat about 12 people. This was a common meeting place for the residents who were nearly all Irish people. We were a close knit community and the street was also known as ''paddy's arcade''.

And the book also confirms that Maesteg Row was formally known as Company Row - I suspect it is the street I have pointed out to you, although from speaking to my grandmother, it has changed considerably since she was a child.

Sadly, my eyes are burning after eight hours in front of the computer screen in work, several hours watching the TV, and now pulling all this together after the mrs FINALLY got off the computer - hope some of this is useful - more than happy to see what else I can find if you provide the info - my time, sadly, is limited, but if you can locate a grave (or give me an idea where they're buried), I can certainly attempt to locate it and e-mail a photo across. if I get time, I'll get a photo of Maesteg Row for you as well.

Chris

Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
White - Kinsale, Cork

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 22:21 BST (UK) »
You posted while I was typiing my masterpiece - it does appear that the Mary Colston who did the piece for the book is speaking about your relative. I'll have a dig through again tomorrow night - have to get to bed soon!

Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
White - Kinsale, Cork

Offline quirk_cantwell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 22:49 BST (UK) »
 :D You are a champion Chris and I am so grateful for your time. The information is a wonderful help. Supposedly there were 6 children from Jerry and Mary however I was unable to find Helen or Annie as the family story goes. When I get the cert. to confirm my info I may have some more questions but I will leave you in peace for the moment.
Many, many thanks you have been a great help and I appreciate your time , I know how precious it is
Sleep well  ;)
Shauna
PS: Looking at your info more closely the death date for Jeremiah throws me somewhat and the fact that the writer Mary Colson says it is her father in law. That means this would be Jeremiah's dad, Jeremiah?
When was the article/book written?

There are  only 3 deaths I can find.
Jeremiah Connelly aged 41 DecQ 1887 Bridgend Dist (this one seems to be mine)
Jeremiah Connoly  aged 51 MarQ 1877 Bedwelty Dist
Jeremiah Connolly aged 65  JunQ 1877 Cardiff dist.
Only the certs, can give me the answer now