Author Topic: MACDONALDS of Skye  (Read 9253 times)

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MACDONALDS OF SKYE
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 June 05 10:13 BST (UK) »
I think you should check it out again !

There is a ferry from Lochmaddy (North Uist) across to Uig on Skye.......

the original 'famous' Flora Macdonald was (according to some sources) born in Benbecular......then lived on Skye later !

Also - when I searched for Morag - it brought up Sarah -
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline Nigel1959

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I wish i could ask them myself
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 June 05 15:29 BST (UK) »
So i can understand that me stupidly thinking that the ferry would go from Skye to the mainland, i never thought for one minute that a ferry would go any where else, but how does Marion who was really Morag suddenly become Sarah------Also you could have something here because my mom told me that there was something about the original Flora Macdonald but i just thought that was all fairy tale stuff

Thanks again

Nigel

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 June 05 17:32 BST (UK) »
I always think that if you turn over enough stones, eventually you will find something under one of them!

If you go onto the LDS 'familysearch' website and in the search enter MORAG....it just brings up loads of Sarah's.......  I don't know why - perhaps there is a connection ??

Another thing - I found a family tree for THE Flora MacDonald and there are both Angus' and Marion's in her family - YES! I know they are probably very popular Scottish names !

http://www.genealogy.com/famousfolks/floram/
~~~~~~~~

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Offline Nigel1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 June 05 18:01 BST (UK) »
Ok Kathy certainly something to think about but where is the connection to your Angus and Flora to my Morag/Marion/Sarah when they dont have a kid of that name, and also in Flora Macdonalds tree there is no link to an Angus or Flora from her offspring.

I have phoned my mom who is out but will call me back later tonite to see if she can remember anything to help

Thanks

Nigel

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 June 05 18:28 BST (UK) »
I have no idea Nigel !

I am just thowing out ideas - in the hope that something might trigger off an idea from some-one else -

~~~~~~~~

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there. i found something on the 1881 census for skye that may be of interest.  :-\

here is a family that list 2 daughters by the name of marrion - either, there was an error of the name being recorded or in fact the 2nd marrion (aged 2 here) must have been a grand daughter or similar....

i have also added some info from the igi.

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

i hope this might be the family you are looking for.

kind regards,
Lorna.

Offline Nigel1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lorna thats very interesting i will check it out WHEN  my mom gets back to me as she has all my Mcdonald stuff and has had for nearly 12 months even though she is sending it back to me every other week and was phoning me back on Sunday------is it any wonder tracing your family tree is so difficult, she never forgets the bingo i can tell you.

Offline Goorikidz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 18 September 05 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

We have just returned from a visit to Skye and there is a Museum called Clan Donald Centre who have info on the MacDonald's of Skye.  Don't know if they have a website but maybe some else could help.  We then visited Kilmore Cemetery at their suggestion.
I think there are several different families of MacDonald on the Island. 

Hope this is of some assistance
Janette
BONUS: Meath Ireland
BULL: Warwickshire
CANDLER: Essex;
CHILDS: Hampshire; IOW
COLES: Worcestershire, & Newport Wales; Australia
GAUDIN: Nottinghamshire; Australia, New Caledonia, France
HIGGERSON; Middlesex;
LLOYD: Montgomeryshire Wales
LITTLEWOOD: possibly Cornwall
POOLE: Llanymynech Wales, Sussex, Shropshire, Oswestry, Warwickshire, Australia;
POWELL: Shrewsbury, Shropshire
RAINBOW: Worcestershire
RAYNER: Wivenhoe, Essex, Australia
WILLIAMS: Monmouthshire;

Offline Nigel1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MACDONALDS of Skye
« Reply #26 on: Monday 19 September 05 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Janette i will check it out :)