Author Topic: MACDONALDS of Skye  (Read 9255 times)

Offline jcrobson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: MACDONALDS OF SKYE
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 25 October 05 17:50 BST (UK) »
here is a family that list 2 daughters by the name of marrion - either, there was an error of the name being recorded or in fact the 2nd marrion (aged 2 here) must have been a grand daughter or similar....

Actually it was quite common for there to be 2 siblings with the same name.
At this time in Scotland there was a naming pattern that was followed quite strictly.
I got this from another site online, but I don't recall the source:

=============================

TRADITIONAL NAMING PATTERNS IN SCOTLAND

These naming patterns are not iron clad, but were used extensively. We have found the patterns to be extremely useful in identifying possible family groups. Later research is then used to verify these family groups, such as Old Parish Records and census. By the latter part of the 1800's however, people were beginning to expand a little on the naming of their children. That gave far more variety; but then for us genealogists perhaps it was a step they should not have taken.

Daughters

1. Firstborn daughter - named after her maternal grandmother (her mother's mother)
•   Variation - named after her paternal grandmother (her father's mother)

2. Secondborn daughter - named after her paternal grandmother (her father's mother)
•   Variation - named after her maternal grandmother (her mother's mother)

3. Thirdborn daughter - named after her mother

4. Fourthborn daughter - named after her mother's oldest sister
•   Variation - named after her maternal great grandmother (her mother's maternal grandmother)

5. Fifthborn daughter - named after her father's oldest sister
•   Variation - named after her paternal great grandmother (her father's maternal grandmother)

Sons

1. Firstborn son - named after his paternal grandfather (his father's father)
•   Variation - named after his maternal grandfather (his mother's father)

2. Secondborn son - named after his maternal grandfather (his mother's father)
•   Variation - named after his paternal grandfather (his father's father)

3. Thirdborn son - named after his father

4. Fourthborn son - named after his father's oldest brother
•   Variation - named after his paternal great grandfather (his father's paternal grandfather)

5. Fifthborn son - named after his mother's oldest brother
•   Variation - named after his maternal great grandfather )his mother's paternal grandfather)

USE OF MIDDLE NAMES

One of the more perplexing questions we found was "Where did these middle names come from that sounded like surnames?"

Here are some of the tips we have found:

1. It was customary to name at least one child's middle name after the surname of the local parish minister who christianed that child. For example, in our Meikle family, we had a James Dewar Meikle. For years we looked for a familial connection to the Dewar family to no avail. Then we saw a tip somewhere about the parish minister. Sure enough, in the baptism records for James Dewar Meikle, the parish minister was Hugh Dewar.

2. It was also customary to name a child's middle name after the surname of the person for whom they are named. For instance, Agnes Templeton Meikle was the thirdborn daughter of George Meikle and Agnes Forrest Templeton. Hence, the name Agnes since she was thirdborn, and the middle name of Templeton, denoting her mother's maiden name.

3. It was also common to give sons and daughters a middle name denoting the maiden surname of the mother. This is helpful when trying to identify the maiden surname of the mother.

4. If a child died during the parent's childbearing years, it was VERY common to use that name again. Thus, if Elizabeth Wilson was born on 1 Jan 1800 and died 3 Feb 1803, the next daughter born was given the name of Elizabeth. That makes it difficult to follow the naming patterns.
=====================

I had this experience in tracing one of my ancestor's family's where there was actually 3 ``Malcolm``s born! :

- the first son was named Malcolm (Father's father) - he died at 3 months of age
- the next son born was named Malcolm, again (Father's father had to be followed)
- the following son (2nd) was named after the mother's father
- the next son (3rd) was named after his father
- the next son (4th) must have been named after the father's oldest brother (again, Malcolm) to become the 3rd Malcolm born - and the 2nd living one!

I hope this helps.....

Jamie

Offline Heather Anne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MACDONALDS of Skye
« Reply #28 on: Monday 31 October 05 04:57 GMT (UK) »
 :)Thanks for the interesting info on names....was just browseing through...looking for MacDonalds of Morar and found this little gem
Ciao
Heather
Im new at this and all thumbs...can't get me smilies working!!!

Offline Thomson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MACDONALDS OF SKYE
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 April 06 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
                   On doing research for Christina MacDonald who married John McNeil I have found a lot of MacDonalds or MacQuien would like to know what is the connection between these two names I think my family came from Waternish by what my Mum tells me ,I find a Christian MacQuien married to John MacNeil in Camuslusta in the cencus could she be a MacDonald?

Offline annie mac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MACDONALDS of Skye
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 July 06 01:54 BST (UK) »
From Annie Mac
I am supposedly a direct descendant of Flora Macdonald. We have the clan chief living close by. Donald Macdonald.
My father Gordon Macdonald who passed away recently helped establish thesuccessor.
The clan donald reunion has, or is about to happen at Kilimuir.
The females and males were often given the mother's maiden name as a middle name. Morag is Gaelic for Sarah.
Keep in touch
annie mac