Author Topic: MACDONALDS of Skye  (Read 9252 times)

Offline Nigel1959

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I wish i could ask them myself
    • View Profile
Re: MACDONALDS OF SKYE
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 January 05 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jenny

My GG Grandmother was down as Marion when she married, but then at birth we found her as Morag, Her parents listed as Angus And Flora disappear when back to Skye, no trace in those names, yet they show up on my GG Grandmothers birth and wedding. I know they came from Skye because of the family stories but i cant find anything more than what i put here and above.

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 June 05 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel

Having just returned from a trip to Skye I can tell you that there are LOTS and LOTS of MacDonalds there !

The famous Flora MacDonald (who saved Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1746) lived there and married another MacDonald (Allen) and had 7 children.....the MacDonald Clan have a centre there - just outside Portree....and Lord and Lady (Claire) MacDonald...run a guest house...

at :  Kinloch Lodge, Sleat, Isle of Skye, IV43 8QY
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline Nigel1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 June 05 23:06 BST (UK) »
Yes Kathy i have been, great when the sun is shining but a pig of a place when its not which is 364 days of the year, i am on the west of Ireland which has similar weather and i am still not used to it, but i have no more info on my Mcdonalds either

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 June 05 00:27 BST (UK) »
what year and where was your Morag/Marion born?  Would she have been a young girl at the time of the 1881 census?  That would be your easiest route.  At least it would give the birth place of her parents for definite.
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Nigel1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 June 05 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Thanks for your help------ Morag died Barclay in 1908, so she must have been born around 1880 to Angus and Flora who i had down as both being mcdonald or macdonald

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 June 05 17:58 BST (UK) »
so she would have been included in the 1881 census.  As you can imagine, there are tons of Mary/Mary Ann/Marion MacDonalds in the 1881 census.  No Morag's however.
You mention that at birth she was Morag, so you must have the christening or the birth certificate?  Where was she born?  That may narrow down the areas for the 1881 census.

What about the 1891 census, and the 1901 census have you found Marion there yet?

Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Nigel1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 June 05 18:18 BST (UK) »
I will have another look at my stuff as it's been over 12 months since i last looked for this side of my family as no more leads.

From memory she was born Morag but married Marion and known as Marion to my mother who was told of her, she died of TB.

But it's her parents who i cant trace.

Her father was a Fisherman and operated a ferry i am sure on sky as my grandad always told the story of holidays there and the cottage which had no chimney just a hole in the thatch-this was a very big memory to him as the Barclay side of the family was extremely wealthy at this time

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 June 05 09:01 BST (UK) »
There is a family on the LGS site -

Angus Mc Donald  born 1853  North Uist
married c. 1880 - North Uist to Flora  (born 1857 North Uist)

children

Isabella - 1881
Catherine 1882
Donald 1885
Janie  1888
Rachel 1889

No Marion/Morag though !
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline Nigel1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 June 05 10:00 BST (UK) »
Yep i think i had found that as well but thats the outer Hebrides not Skye or around Skye and because there is no Morag i dismissed it as being not the one, infact i think i looked for an Angus and Flora elswhere and still no good.

Also at the time of her wedding i did see her parents address  as different but couldnt make it out, it didnt say Skye though something else