Author Topic: Flora McPherson/Gordon b. Inverness?  (Read 22523 times)

Offline Scottish Boer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Flora McPherson/Gordon b. Inverness?
« Reply #36 on: Friday 27 August 10 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Renata - Are you actually English or Afrikaans speaking because I am now a real Afrikaans speaking Boertjie (home language also Afrikaans (but no problem if you are English - it will just make conversation easier) - I think I will put you in touch with my aunt Issabella (Issy) - she actually went to Scotland and into the archives and then my uncle James (Jim) wrote a complete book about the family and his childhood days which I have in my possession. There is some black and white photos of the George Lancely Gordon castle in Edinburgh  and the house in Portabell Bay where great grandfather James stayed when he was n holidays etc. If you start talking to them I would really like to be kept in the loop all the time as well ,seeing that I am also very interested in the family hierarchy. Where are you people residing  - we stay in Pinetown and my current age is 49.

Offline Cheekybum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 30 August 10 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hi James    I am actually Afrikaans and I just turned 28, but I'm from the same generation as you. My father was the second youngest of ten children and I was born when my dad was in his 40's already, so that made me the youngest of this whole generation. We live in Pretoria at the moment, my parents are both retired. I would appreciate it if you can contact me on my email (*) . Would just be easier to switch to Afrikaans. I am desperate for some specific info, in turn I will send you everything I found from my research (some interesting records came up). I heard about the castle and my dad also knew the picture of it. I also have a photo of George Lancely Gordon and Flora McPherson, but you might already have that.   I hope to hear from you soon :)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Gordon, McPherson, Lotriet, Roux, Claassens

Offline pgbus1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 09 September 10 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hi third cousin Scottish Boer,

Cheekybum and I have been emailing, and in checking some of her info, I found your postings. My Grandfather was Thomas Gordon b. 1867, son of James Gordon and brother of George Lanceley Gordon.  I have done research on the Gordon line and visited Scotland. Gathered much info on James b. 1821 who had a long military career in the Highlanders. alas, there is no castle, just some modest dwellings in Haddington and Portobello, Edinburgh!
Thomas emigrated to USA in 1892, joined US Army and thence to Philippine Islands for the US Occupation. In retirement he traveled home to Scotland, and died in Channel Islands. My mother and her sisters then grew up in Edinburgh. My mother was a WWII war bride, so back to the USA.
Donald McPherson b. 1876, the youngest, emigrated to Canada, though appears to have spent some time in SA with George Lanceley. I have been in contact with our Canadian cousins.
Martha Lanceley Gordon served as a nurse in SA in 1902.
One of my American cousins said he'd been told we had relatives in SA, but Cheekybum was the first hint it might be true.
Peter Brown
Connecticut, USA

Offline Scottish Boer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 10 September 10 06:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter - Thanks for responding and what a privilige to meet another family member in the hierarchy.Please bear with me and help me out here , seeing that you guys have been at this for quite some time. First a little bit about myself . I reside in Pinetown , Durban in South Africa and my greatest passion is music , I have been in the music business for more than 40 years. I have got a little recording studio of my own with a profound interest in our heritage. I suppose you could  call me the sentimental type. Right , please help me out here seeing that I want to understand this thing fully in order to pass it on correctly to my kids. My dad was George Lancely Gordon , his dad was George McPherson Gordon , his dad was George Lancely Gordon (he was the one that came over from Scotland to South Africa and was married to Flora McPherson).  Now , this George Lancely Gordon's father was James Gordon (let's call him James Gordon junior and he was married to Elizabeth Lancely - he was born and raised in Scotland) , and his father is also James Gordon (let's call him James Gordon senior I don't know who he was married to ? - also staying in Scotland). So your grandfather was Thomas Gordon - brother to George Lancely Gordon (the one that moved over to SA and bought the farm Hottentotsriver near Beaufort West). Was James Gordon senior the one with the military career in the Highlanders...or before him still back in the generations ? What was your dad's name then ? Does this mean that Donald McPherson and George Lancely are cousins ? Where does Martha Lancely Gordon fit in here...wow I am getting do mixed up here. I would appreciate if you can bring me into the hierarchy line ,say starting with James Gordon junior....wow I am getting confused here....so many Gordon's !!!Regards..

Offline pgbus1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 10 September 10 11:26 BST (UK) »
My Father was Edward Brown. He was in Scotland during WWII and married my mother Catherine Ruth Gordon. Her Father was Tom Gordon b. 1867, older brother to your George Lanceley Gordon b. 1869.  Tom and George's father was James Gordon b. 1821.

My research shows James joined the Gordon Highlanders in 1839. He served in Barbados, Gibraltar, India, the Crimea. and Ireland. While in Kilkenny, Ireland he met and married Elizabeth Mary Lanceley.

James Father was John Gordon, who was a coachman in Elgin, Scotland. My research shows there was only one James. I have a copy of James' baptism, so fairly sure on that.

Have to head to the office, so all for now. I have more detail on James Gordon and several photos. Will send when I learn how to do direct messaging on Rootschat.

Peter

Offline Cheekybum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 10 September 10 13:24 BST (UK) »
James look on the family tree I sent you, there was only one James Gordon and his father was John Gordon. His mother appears to have been Janet McPherson.
As far as my research goes, they may got married in Inverness. Peter might know though.
Elizabeth (my records don't show Mary) Lanceley, was the daughter of William Lanceley. They lived in Belline in Ireland where he rented some land and buildings according to the Griffiths Valuation.

Thank you for the info Peter, alot I didn't know. Have you found any information or documents on John and Janet yet?

Offline Scottish Boer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 10 September 10 14:02 BST (UK) »
Renata , I spoke with my aunt Isabella(Issy) Gordon this morning and according to her , there is two James Gordons...a senior and a junior - this is where it is getting confusing - I am just waiting for her to respond as well and I will share with you guys immediately - but it is getting more interesting by the day.

Regards

James Gordon....the 14th or maybe the 18th or what the heck !!!!

Offline Cheekybum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 10 September 10 14:19 BST (UK) »
Lol James, actually the only other James Gordon we are aware of was a brother of George Lanceley and Thomas.
He was James Lockhart Tattnall Gordon b. 6 April 1862 in Haddington.
Which is actually interesting because they seem to have used surnames of previous generations as middle names. I haven't been able to find a Lockhart link yet and Tattnall is very rare as a surname and is actually a county in the US.

Offline pgbus1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 11 September 10 11:51 BST (UK) »
James,

email me at (*). I want to send you more detail and photos; more than we'd want to post on rootschat. I'm sending the same to Renata.

Peter G Brown

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php