Author Topic: Flora McPherson/Gordon b. Inverness?  (Read 22522 times)

Offline karools

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Flora McPherson/Gordon b. Inverness?
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter

I am researching the Gordon family and came across a posting of yours chatting to Scottish Boer. I am from Cape Town and George Lanceley Gordon b 1869 in Haddington is my grandfather. Would very much like to learn more about his brother Tom Gordon b 1867 in Haddington.

Please speak to me

Regards  George Lanceley Gordon (ii)

Offline karools

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter

I am researching the Gordon family and came across a posting of yours chatting to Scottish Boer. I am from Cape Town and George Lanceley Gordon b 1869 in Haddington is my grandfather. Would very much like to learn more about his brother Tom Gordon b 1867 in Haddington.

Please speak to me

Regards  George Lanceley Gordon (ii)

Offline Keiron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello to all of you busy creating this tree. It was an interesting thread to read. I am researching Nurses who served in the Boer War so I am happy to add a few more details for you:

Martha Lancely GORDON trained as a nurse at the Western Infirmary in Glasgow, Scotland. She joined the Army Nursing Service (Reserve) in July 9 1897 (before the Boer War). She appears on 3 pages of the QSA Medal Rolls at The National Archives in Kew. She is also on the Nominal Roll of Princess Christian's Army Nursing Service (Reserve) as of September 30, 1900.

You can find her at http://www.boerwarnurses.com

Cheers
Keiron
Nursing in the Boer War 1899-1902

Offline Mme Fripee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 12 June 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Cheekybum

I am Donald McPherson Gordon's granddaughter from Canada.  My cousin is Peter G. Brown of the 9 September 2010 post. 
My grandmother, Donald Gordon's wife, kept impeccable records, and your posts back up the information that I now have.  I also have a photo album of Capetown in the early years, as well as photos of the Gordon brothers there.  I'd be very interested in chatting with you and have emailed Peter asking for any info he has been able to collect as well. 
Would love to chat soonest.

Deborah Chaplin

Offline Mme Fripee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 12 June 11 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Scottish Boer

I am Donald McPherson Gordon's granddaughter in Canada and cousin to Peter G. Brown in USA.  My grandfather was an architect in Montreal and did his apprenticeship in Capetown South Africa where his brothers lived.
My grandmother was an impeccable record keeper and has traced the family tree back to Scotland.  I have a photo album of my grandfather's time in South and a few pictures of the Gordon brothers there. 
I would love to chat further with you if you'd be open to that.

Deborah Chaplin

Offline Cheekybum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 05 September 11 19:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that input Keiron, I will certainly be looking into that as soon as I get a chance  :)

Deborah, I will ask Peter for your details and email you. I've just been really busy lately and didn't do any research.

As far as the thread goes, I have had so much help from so many people from various sources. I've had people stating things, but as I'm not just doing this 'to build my family tree' I am not willing to accept the statements that has been made regarding certain things. Just like any other researcher, I'm after the actual records to prove it.

With the help of a very good friend who is also a genealogical researcher, have now gone to the trouble of requesting almost 200 documents from the National Archives in order to understand most of what was going on in this family.

My main question remains unanswered, but hopefully I will have the answer one day :)
Gordon, McPherson, Lotriet, Roux, Claassens

Offline karools

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheekybum

I will be able to answer most if not all your questions regarding the Gordons of Hottentots River as I have spoken to people that actually lived on the farm when George Lanceley Gordon was still alive. I am 75 years of age and go back a long time. But I do have an excellent memory. Contact me

Karools

Offline Alison456

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 02 March 20 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone.  Not sure if I am using this forum properly as I have just registered.  My great grandmother was Janet Gordon, eldest sister of Thomas and George Lanceley.  My great great aunt was Martha Lanceley Gordon who came to South Africa as a nurse and was also a suffragette.  She later lived near my grandmother in the UK and I met her before she died (1959).  I have some photos of the family and would like to know what happened to the brothers who went to South Africa. My mother did some research into the Gordons going back to Huntly in Scotland in the 18th century.

Alison

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 02 March 20 16:41 GMT (UK) »
This may or may not be useful.

I have in my tree John George Gordon, born in the Militia Barracks, Lanark, Lanarkshire on 23 October 1860, son of James Gordon, Major, 92nd Regiment, and Elizabeth Mary Lanceley, who were married at Carrick-on-Suir, Kilkenny, Ireland on 17 August 1854. In the 1861/1871/1881 censuses the family home was in Haddington.

James Gordon was born in Elgin, and Elizabeth Mary Lanceley in Ireland, according to the census. John George was the second of 11 known children, the first, William McP, being born in Gibraltar and the rest in Haddington.

James Gordon died in Edinburgh in 1903. His death certificate says that his parents were John Gordon and Janet Macpherson. His widow Elizabeth died in Edinburgh in 1907, and her parents were William Lanceley and Elizabeth Mary Bagnall.

John George, known to me as Uncle Jay although he died long before I was born, was a lawyer in Edinburgh. He married Agnes Jack in Lanark in 1884. They had two sons, James Lanceley and John George, and Agnes died in 1909.

He then married my grandfather's sister Mary Stuart Burgess in 1912. He died in 1924 at their home, 24 Marchhall Crescent, Edinburgh.

My Aunt Mary survived him, and died in 1968. I remember her very well indeed.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.