Author Topic: REMENYI, Cleveland, Ohio  (Read 9142 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: REMENYI, Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 April 14 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy,

thanks for that, but the sister was born in 1893 in Zilina (Zsolna), now in Slovakia.

There were three sisters but I have no birth places for Annes (1896) and Mathilde (1897). I have some photos of them in Berlin in 1916, but I don't know if they lived there or were just visiting.

They moved around a lot - Mathilde lived (and died) in Vienna; Maria (my grandmother) lived in Vienna and died in England; Annes lived in Berlin and when her husband died, moved to Vienna, with Mathilde; and Joseph (Jozsef) lived (and died) in Cleveland, Ohio.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 12 April 14 01:40 BST (UK) »
Certificate of Arrival--For Naturalization Purposes

US Dept of Labor, Immigration Service
Ellis Island, NY, Mar 17, 1920

This is to certify that the following-named alien arrived at the port indicated, on the date and in manner described below, viz:

Name of alien:  Remenyi, Josef
Port of entry:  New York, NY
Date of arrival:  May 11, 1914
Name of vessel:  Carpathia        Cunard Line

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 12 April 14 02:16 BST (UK) »

No. 15806

Declaration of Intention

United States of America,
Northern District of Ohio

In the District Court of the United States, Cleveland, Ohio.

I Joseph Remenyi, aged 26 years, occupation journalist, do declare on oath that my personal description is:  Color white, complexion dark, height 5 feet 7 inches, weight 170 pounds, color of hair dark brown, color of eyes brown, other visible distinctive marks none. 

I was born in Trencsn Teplic Hungary on the 1st day of December, anno Domini 1890; I now reside at 1929 E 59 St, Cleveland, Ohio.

I emigrated to the United States of America from Fiume Hungary on the vessel Carpathia; my last foreign residence was Porsony Hungary; I am ___ married; the name of my wife is Margaret; she was born Ungvar Hungary and now resides at Philadelphia Pa. 

It is my bona fide intention to renounce forever all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, and particularly to CHARLES, Emperor of Austria and Apostolic King of Hungary, of whom I am now a subject.

I arrived at the port of New York, in the State of New York, on or about the 22 day of May, anno Domini 1914; I am not an anarchist; I am not a polygamist nor a believer in the practice of polygamy; and it is my intention in good faith to become a citizen of the United States of America and to permanently reside therein:  SO HELP ME GOD.

signed:  Joseph Remenyi
Subscribed and sworn to before me in the office of the Clerk of said Court
at Cleveland, Ohio, this 31 day of Oct anno Domini 1917

B.C. Miller
Clerk of the District Court of the United States

By  M.C. Petrich, Deputy Clerk

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 12 April 14 02:51 BST (UK) »
Deposition of Clarence Sears Kates for the naturalization of Joseph Remenyi of 1588 East 118th,
Cleveland, Ohio

Deposition taken in Philadelphia, PA

Name:  Clarence Sears Kates
Residence:  Glen Lock, PA
Citizen:  yes
Place of birth:  Philadelpia
Period of residence in State of Pennsylvania:  50 years

1.  State fully when, where, and under what circumstances you first met the petitioner, Joseph Remenyi, in the United States: 
In the early spring of 1915 at the University Club, Phila, Pa. I met him thro Mr. Watts.

2.  State the period during which he has resided continuously in the United States to your own person knowledge. 
From early spring of 1915 to later part of 1916 when he went to Cleveland, Ohio.

3.  During the time you were personally acquainted with the petitioner iin the United States, where did he reside? 
He lived in Phila. Pa from spring of 1915 to later part of 1916.

4.  State fully how you know that he resided there. 
By seeing him right along as I was very much interested in the petitioner.

5.  How frequently did you see him each month during that period? 
At least once a month.

6.  Was he absent from the United States or State during that period? 
No sir.

7.  When did he remove from the State of Pennsylvania? 
Later part of 1916.

8.  During the time you knew him, or at any time, was he ever arrested or engaged in any unlawful occupation? 
No sir.

9.  What was his reputation for good moral character during the period you knew him? 
He had a good reputation.

10. From your personal knowledge of him, do you believe that the petitioner is a man of good moral character? 
Yes.

11. Is the petitioner an anarchist or a polygamist, a believer in anarchy or in the practice of polygamy, or affiliated in any way with any persons opposed to or teaching disbelief in organized government? 
No.

12. Do you believe from your personal knowledge of him that the petitioner is attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States? 
Yes

13. Do you know of any reason why he should not be admitted to citizenship? 
No

Signed:  Clarence Sears Kates
17th day of May, 1920

Name of Notary Public
------------------------------------------

Deposition of Harvey M Watts for the naturalization of Joseph Remenyi of 1588 East 118th,
Cleveland, Ohio

Name:  Harvey M Watts
Residence:  The Maryland, Phila, Pa
Citizen:  yes
Place of birth:  Philadelphia
Period of residence in Pennsylvania:  52 years

Answers to above questions

1.  In early part of 1914 at the Ledger office Phila, Pa.  He was introduced to me by a mutual friend who was interested in literary matters.

2.  From early part of 1914 to later part 1916 when he went to Cleveland, O

3.  He lived in Phila, Pa from early part of 1914 to later part of 1916

4.  By seeing him almost every day as we lived in the same neighborhood

5.  Almost every day

6.  No

7.  Later part of 1916

8.  No

9.  He had a good reputation

10. Yes

11. No

12. Yes

13. No

Signed:  Harvey M Watts
17th day of May 1920

Notary Public

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 12 April 14 03:32 BST (UK) »
No.  9957

United States of America
Petition for naturalization

To the Honorable the District Court of the United States for the Northern District of Ohio, at Cleveland Ohio:

The petition of Joseph Remanyi (as typed)
First.  My place of residence is 1588 East 118th, Cleveland
Second.  My occupation is  Editor of :Speak English"  Americanization Magazine
Third.  I was born on the 1 day of Dec, anno Domini 1890, at Trencsen Templic, Hungary
Fourth.  I emigrated to the United States from Fiume Hungary on or about the 2 day of May anno Domini 1914, and arrived in the United States, at the port of New York, NY, on the 11 day of May anno Domini 1914, on the vessel Carpathia.
Fifth.  I declared my intention to become a citizen of the United States on the 31 day of Oct, anno Domini 1917 at Cleveland, Ohio, in the District Court of U.S.
Sixth.  I am married.  My wife's name is Margaret, she was born on the 25 day of Feb anno Domini 1892 at Ungvar, Hungary and now resides at Cleveland with me.  I have no children.
Seventh.  I am not a disbeliever in or opposed to organized government or a member of or affiliated with any organization or body of persons teaching disbelief in or opposed to organized government.  I am not a polygamist nor a believer in the practice of polygamy.  I am attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and it is my intention be become a citizen of the United States and to renounce absolutely and forever all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, and particularly to  (faded stamp ending with--"within bounds of former Austro-Hungarian Empire", of whom at this time I am a subject, and it is my intention to reside permanently in the United States.
Eighth.  I am able to speak the English language.
Ninth.  I have resided continuously in the United States of America for the term of five years at least immediately preceding the date of this petition, to wit, since the 11 day of May anno Domini 1914, and in the State of Ohio, continuously next preceding the date of this petition, since the 15 day of Dec, anno Domini 1916, being a residence within the State of at least one year next preceding the date of this petition.
Tenth.  I have not heretofore made petition for citizenship to any court.
Attached hereto and made a part of this petition are my declaration of intention to become a citizen of the United States and the certificate from the Department of Labor, together with my affidavit and the affidavits of the two verifying witnesses thereto, required by law.  Wherefore your petitioner prays that he my be admitted a citizen of the United States of America.

signed:  Joseph Remenyi

Declaration of Intention No. 15806 and Certificate of Arrival No.  no number from Department of Labor filed this 28 day of April, 1920

Affidavits of Petitioner and Witnesses

United States of America
Northern District of Ohio

The aforesaid petitioner, being duly sworn, deposes and says that he is the petitioner in the above-entitled proceedings; that he has read the foregoing petition and knows the contents thereof; that the said petition is signed with his full true name; that the same is true of his own knowledge except  as to matters  therein stated to be alleged upon information and belief, and that as to those matters he believe it to be true.

Signed:  Joseph Remenyi

Walter L Flory, occupation atty, residing at 2265 Stillman Ave, Cleveland, Ohio and Julia McCune Flory, occupation housewife, residing at 2265 Stillman Ave, Cleveland, Ohio each being severally, duly, and respectively sworn deposes and says that he is a citizen of the United States of America; that he has personally known Joseph Remenyi, the petitioner above mentioned, to have resided in the United States continuously immediately preceding the date of filing his petition, since the 10 day of Jan, anno Domini 1917, and in the State in which the above-entitled petition is made continuously since the 10 day of Jan, anno Domini 1917; and that he has personal knowledge that the said petitioner is a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and that the petitioner is in every way qualified, in his opinion, to be admitted a citizen of the United States.

Signed:  Walter L Flory
             Julia McCune Flory
Dated:  28 day of April, anno Domini 1920

B.C. Miller, Clerk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 12 April 14 07:00 BST (UK) »
How fascinating that a topic can lie dormant for about 9 years and then get kickstarted again with such vigour from a chance discovery.   Well done Genealiza.

I can't recall whether your previous texts have covered his wife Margaret's birth and death, but if so, here it is again from the USA Social Security index
Margaret (aka Hungarian Margit or Franco-Gernanised to Marguerite or Margarethe) Remenyi born 25 feb 1892,    Died aged 83, Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, December 1975.

I see from when Margaret returned to the USA on 23 July 1923, she delared her father was also a citizen of the USA.  Would that have meant that although Hungarian Slavs, the couple met and married in America?
Earlier correspondence also has her mother as Rose Lokosy (wife of Julius [Gyula]) which looks to be a variation (or Americanisation) of his wife's maiden name which has been shown in a biography as Papolczy.
New start points for further research.

Roy G

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 12 April 14 08:51 BST (UK) »
This is amazing ! Thank you very much Genealiza :)

And thanks to Roy for voicing my thoughts, and for providing the kickstarter:
How fascinating that a topic can lie dormant for about 9 years and then get kickstarted again with such vigour from a chance discovery.   Well done Genealiza.

Roy, I have most of that information about Margaret Remenyi, née Papaloczy (but not that "her father was also a citizen of the USA")
http://www.margulies-chronicles/ag/_margulies/bio/remejose1892.php.

You mention Rose Lokosy: re-reading this topic I see I totally misunderstood the previously given information about Rose:
Cleveland Necrology file Dec 1940 mentions death of 72 year-old Rose Lokosy (wife of Julius) mother of Mrs. Joseph Remenyi.  The earlier mentioned 1920 Cleveland census with Joseph/Marguerete has such  Julius/Rose (Lokos?) on the same page/address.
For some reason I thought this referred to Joseph's mother:
Not sure about the reference to Julius/Rose Lokos, though.  As far as I know, his mother was called Johanna, and never left Europe.  I'll check that one out with my aunt !
Ooops !  :-[

Once again, Roy and Genealiza - Many thanks :)

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 April 14 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

You noted that I commented that Margaret's father was a USA citizen.  I deduced that because when she returned to the USA in 1923 on the SS Orduna, her USA citizenship was declared, "By father's papers" and not by her husband's.

My wife (the Hungarian national) has also been reading this and wanted me to add a bit more that she personally deduced from the Hungarian biography below and her observation of other related texts.
http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rem%C3%A9nyi_J%C3%B3zsef_%28%C3%ADr%C3%B3%29

Jozsef's Hungarian biography written by someone unknown, stated that his student days were spent studying law in Pozsony and when he first went to the USA, he was working at the Austro-Hugarian Consolate (Embassy?).  If that was the case, perhaps he was not like many others who arrived in the USA because they were fleeing from European poverty or oppression, but had been engaged by the Embassy to fill that position before he arrived.  Presumably his decision to become a national in 1917 was strongly influenced by the Americans becoming involved in WW1, and may be why the picture of his 3 sisters taken in Berlin in 1916 meant so much to him.

His eventual return to Europe as a reporter would have then been when the Trianon Treaty was being implemented and his native Hungary was loosing teritories to various other countries. (Note him returning to the USA post Trianon in 1922 and 1923)  It is therefore a possibility that he and Margaret were combining business with pleasure by not only reporting on the efffects of Trianon but also taking a last opportunity to meet up with surviving relelatives. 

My wife also said I should point out that when Magaret said she was from Ungvar, she was not using a derivitive of a word saying she was Hungarian (Ungarn).  Instead, she was using the actual name of a place now called Uzhgorod, which the Trianon Treaty above had relocated to the Ukrainian side of the border where Hungary, Slovakia and the Ukraine 'presently' intersect. 

Just thought some of these observations and ideas in a historical and geographical context might be useful.
Regards Roy G

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 14 April 14 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

You noted that I commented that Margaret's father was a USA citizen.  I deduced that because when she returned to the USA in 1923 on the SS Orduna, her USA citizenship was declared, "By father's papers" and not by her husband's.

My wife (the Hungarian national) has also been reading this and wanted me to add a bit more that she personally deduced from the Hungarian biography below and her observation of other related texts.
http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rem%C3%A9nyi_J%C3%B3zsef_%28%C3%ADr%C3%B3%29

Jozsef's Hungarian biography written by someone unknown, stated that his student days were spent studying law in Pozsony and when he first went to the USA, he was working at the Austro-Hugarian Consolate (Embassy?).  If that was the case, perhaps he was not like many others who arrived in the USA because they were fleeing from European poverty or oppression, but had been engaged by the Embassy to fill that position before he arrived.  Presumably his decision to become a national in 1917 was strongly influenced by the Americans becoming involved in WW1, and may be why the picture of his 3 sisters taken in Berlin in 1916 meant so much to him.

His eventual return to Europe as a reporter would have then been when the Trianon Treaty was being implemented and his native Hungary was loosing teritories to various other countries. (Note him returning to the USA post Trianon in 1922 and 1923)  It is therefore a possibility that he and Margaret were combining business with pleasure by not only reporting on the efects of Trianon but also taking a last opportunity to meet up with a few surviving relelatives. 

My wife also said I should point out that when Magaret said she was from Ungvar, she was not using a derivitive of a word saying she was Hungarian (Ungarn).  Instead, she was using an actual name of a place now called Uzhgorod, which the Trianon Treaty above relocated to the Ukrainian side of the border where Hungary, Slovakia and the Ukraine 'presently' intersect. 

Just thought some of these observations and ideas in a historical and geographical context might be useful.
Regards Roy G