Author Topic: Surnames of Magilligan parish  (Read 43842 times)

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames of Magilligan parish
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 October 08 07:19 BST (UK) »
The diary of Abraham Moody is most interesting and Volume 13 of the Bann Dicc gives comprehensive coverage:

Here I include a few of the family details but there is so much more:

30th December 1828
I, Abraham James H Moody was born at Cloney in the parish of Magilligan on the 17th day of August 1809.

By 1828 my family consisted of nine brothers and one sister, three sisters being removed by death and one brother. The last sister died of fever which I remember with regret at the age of 13. (must have been the year 1822 ). After her burial the majority of us took the fever. It was a time of severe trial but we all recovered.

My second brother John took his departure to America and I, now 34, would need to look out for a permanent abode for myself. I took a house in Bridge Street in December 1843 and my marriage is to take place on 2nd January 1844.

I was married to Elizabeth Shannon of Derrybeg on 2nd January 1844, came to Coleraine the next day and proceeded the day following to Belfast to purchase my goods. I opened a shop rented at £20 annually in Bridge Street on the Saturday following and took as my first day's sale on a market day £6. 12. 0. I should remark that I received £50 with my wife.

1848/1849
My dear wife's health had been gradually declining since the birth of Ruth and she departed this earthly scene on 17th September 1848, of consumption.
I was cast again on the world but I was determined to take as my second wife Elizabeth Hopkin cousin to my former wife and on the 10th April 1849 we were married. I bless God that so far it has been a happy union. I received £50 with her as a dowry.

1850/51
My two brothers Henry and Solomon sailed on the ship "Sir Edmund Head" from Liverpool to Australia on 6th June 1850. I received word of their safe arrival 105 days later on 19th February 1851.
In January 1851 the gold mines of Australia were discovered. My brother John left Magilligan for Australia on 17th July 1851. He boarded a boat in Plymouth about the 22nd of the month. He was married about ten days before to Mary Campbell of Benone, who was born in Yorkshire.

On Tuesday 1st November 1853 my brothers Samuel B. and Israel Joseph Moody left Coleraine via Belfast to sail to Liverpool per the Marco Polo for Melbourne. The vessel sailed out of the Mersey on Wednesday 9th November towed by two steamers down the river - booming of cannon and a band on board told of the departure of this far famed ship. She carried 620 passengers, 7025 letters and 2234 newspapers. 26th November 1853 I shipped 8 ploughs to Australia to the care of my brother H. B. Moody of Duckponds(?) Truro, Adelaide. The year 1853 has closed shrouded in a deep layer of snow; no such storm for over 40 years; mails detained for a week; markets very high.

Marco Polo arrives at Port Philip in 74 days and 12 hours; run aground; no lives lost; sailed with 717 souls (crew included) and brought into port 716. 7th December received from Australia a bill of exchange in the amount of £69. 4. 9 for my ploughs. 19th December my dear old father died, aged 81.

On 11th January 1855 I made a will. I thought it prudent to do so in these eventful times when cholera rages

On 12th February Henry Bruce Moody returned from Australia to visit his native land.

On Thursday 20th and 21st August brothers sold out stock, etc. to start to Australia. On 1st April 1857 Solomon Moody was married in South Australia to Charlotte daughter of N. Foot Esq. D.L. J.P. Thursday 17th September H.B. Moody was married to Margaret daughter of John Watson of Freehall; left Magilligan Friday 18th for Australia via Liverpool. William and David left on Monday 21st. 1859

Another dear brother is gone, died at Gaulear(?) on Thursday 14th February 1878, Henry Bruce Moody.

October, my brother John died in Y.P. Australia.

10th July 1894 my dear son Marcus died at Adelaide, Australia.

Abraham James Hopkins Moody died on 11th March 1899 aged 90 years. [Entry by one of his daughters]

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 October 08 13:24 BST (UK) »
My thanks to all of you. Your replies have been overwhelming.

Best Regards to all
Morrison Stewart
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline dian joyce

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 October 08 20:27 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply. The earliest I have is Abraham James Hopkins Moody who was born in 1809 in Magilligan, parents John Moody and Mary Hopkins of Bolea. A brother of Abraham, born 1826, was stated to be of Gortmore Hall. The Ordnance survey map shows a Gortmore House but not a Gortmore Hall and having driven along the road from Magilligan Station "up the hill" I cannot remember a large house.
    Again, many thanks

Regards
I have copy of photo taken c1980s of what remained of Gortmore House (Hall as the family called it).  Will try to attach here. I have it because Alexander James Hopkins Moody (AJHM) was my gt.gt.grandfather.  Well it seams can't attach afterall.  Will reset pic in jpg and get back to you in few days
Cheers

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 October 08 21:22 BST (UK) »
Dian,
       Many thanks. I was doing some private look-ups for another reseacher when I saw Gortinamima's Surnames of Magilligan and on spec posted my message. I know that this site is good at reponding but I was surprised at the amount of detail which I recieved. I passed the site details to my contact and she responded that this is a much better site than others which she uses.
Again Many thanks.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline MissPriss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 January 09 04:10 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for Warks in the Magilligan Parish area in the 1800's.
I have a James Wark I believe to have been born at Magilligan ,22 Oct 1811. I have no further information of James, but would really like to find his parent's and siblings.
Any help would be wonderful
Thanks
Cheryl
Wark/Warke Magalligan Parish, County Londonderry, Ireland

Offline MissPriss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 February 09 23:02 GMT (UK) »
I would be interested in any Wark info you have of this area.
Thanks,
Cheryl
Wark/Warke Magalligan Parish, County Londonderry, Ireland

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 February 09 11:43 GMT (UK) »

There is an early Wark connection to Magilligan through a marriage
in Ballykelly Presbyterian Church:

Jon Wark of Ballykelly & [Blank] Hemphill in Magilligan gave in their
names to be proclaimed in order to marriage Aug 16 1705 & were
married 7br [July] 18 1705.

So maybe your Warks came into Magilligan through the Hemphill
connectio. There were no Warks in the 1740 householders or 1796
flax returns.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 February 09 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Gortinanima,
                   There are two Warks in the parish of Dunboe in 1796. I am unclear where the boundaries of Dunboe and Tamlaghtarde lay and how the boundary of Magilligan as an area was defined in those days. I believe areas such as Benone and Magilligan were defined in 1838 as electoral divisions under the Poor Law act and in 1852 the Dispensary act brought Bellarena into being as a Dispensary District. Before 1838 is it possible that the church lands of Magilligan could have lain in two parishes.  I know that some townlands of Tamlaghtarde were taken to form the parish of Aghanloo. (unsure of date).

Regards

Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 February 09 15:03 GMT (UK) »

There were no Warks in Magilligan in 1796
but Dunboe is contiguous with Magilligan