Author Topic: Fairy Bells - what are they? COMPLETED  (Read 3850 times)

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
Fairy Bells - what are they? COMPLETED
« on: Wednesday 15 October 08 23:10 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor who by all accounts was very proficient at playing a musical instrument called the 'Fairy Bells'.  Does anyone know exactly what these bells might have been?  A search on G***le does not throw up any answers that I can see.

This particular ancestor, according to a wealth of newspaper articles from the 1870s and 80s, apparently gave many performances, including one before The Prince of Wales at Croxteth Hall, Liverpool, in March 1878, after which the Prince of Wales was 'graciously pleased to give his personal consent to his coat of arms being used' by my ancestor of 'Fairy Bells' fame.  I would love to know what they were or are.

Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Fairy Bells - what are they?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 23:20 BST (UK) »
From Google -
http://www.oldmusicalinstruments.co.uk/instruments/instrument_list.php?cat=PS

Bell Harp or "Fairy Bells" the top of mahogany, the sides and back of pine, labelled "Fairy Bells / SOLE MAKERS / R.COOK & CO., 133 Fenchurch St. / LONDON" also labelled "R.COOK & CO., / 133 FENCHURCH STREET, LONDON E.C. / SOLE MAKERS / (man and woman playing Fairy Bells) / TRADE MARK" made c.1880. Length 65.0cm.The notes are burned on "C D E F G E D C B A"
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: Fairy Bells - what are they?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 23:45 BST (UK) »
Carole, thank you so much.  Obviously my own Google search was not thorough enough!  I had no idea that it would be a stringed instrument.  I would imagine it sounded wonderful.

Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Edjones

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fairy Bells - what are they? COMPLETED
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 August 21 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Erik Jones, apparently my great great grandfather invented the fairy bells. I do not know if it was my great grandfathers mother’s father or fathers father so either Charles Jones or Rhoderick Jones. I still have the original fairy bells he invented. I’m not sure if the guy who invented it preformed it though

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 August 21 10:54 BST (UK) »
Photo? CaroleW’s link no longer seems to work. The one in the V&A is attributed to a John Simcock.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 August 21 11:11 BST (UK) »
Apart from the curly holes, that’s just like the V&A one. I’d be interested to see the original if Erik can show us..

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 August 21 11:21 BST (UK) »
A few early references:

In a description of a witness in a case in "The proceedings at the sessions of peace, oyer and terminer, for the city of London, and county of Middlesex, on Wednesday the 7th, Thursday the 8th, Friday the 9th, Saturday the 10th, and Monday the 12th of December, In the 11th Year of His Majesty's Reign. Being the First sessions in the Mayoralty of the Right Honourable Sir John Barnard, Knight, Lord-Mayor of the City of London. For the Year 1737."

"He told me the Jews name that he had it from, was Solomon Moses, a Fellow with one Eye, that goes about with a Bell-harp."

A description of the Bell Harp in "A musical dictionary; being a collection of terms and characters, as well ancient as modern; including the historical, theoretical, and practical parts of music: As also, an Explanation of some Parts of the Doctrine of the Antients; Interspersed With Remarks on their Method and Practice, and curious Observations on the Phoenomena of Sound Mathematically considered, As it's Relations and Proportions constitute Intervals, And those again Concords and Discords. The whole carefully abstracted from the best authors in the Greek, Latin, Italian, French, and English Languages. By James Grassineau, Gent." Published 1740

An advertisement for one for sale on Saturday,  Apr. 14, 1764
Publication: Gazetteer and London Daily Advertiser

Quite a few other mentions in newspapers and monographs around this time.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 August 21 12:04 BST (UK) »
This is a brief recording of someone playing them. He admits his instrument is out of tune, because of its age. Still, it gives you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbM9JGArOyo
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*