Author Topic: Genes Un/united  (Read 7957 times)

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Genes Un/united
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 October 08 14:26 BST (UK) »
There's a simple answer to that, don't put them on your tree ;D

Kerry

That's why I haven't Kerry ;D...

Ambers
GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 October 08 16:36 BST (UK) »
You'd be amazed how many that do - because most family trees start with the people who are researching them.  In any case, although both my mother and father are dead, I'm still not sure I'd want them on Google searches either, and Tribal Pages don't seem to want to stop it (or at least they didn't when I tried them).

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline M.Ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Yes it is vitally important not to post any data at all on living people on trees, we have no right at all to include members of our families details without permission. It is surprising how naive some people are though. perhaps some people would say tis the whole point tracing ourselves back from where we are at to where we came from --but that should only be shared between people you trust and your family. I even met a relative, not too distantly removed, through our joint interests - I thought that exciting lost relatives, family names I 'd heard of. Elated that I was at the time, it did not go well afterwards - we had nothing in common at all except a few genes!!. We should exersize all our caution, we're in it for the research and the thrill of the detective work - its a great fun hobby but there are some virtual anoraks out there who need to get a life in real time and are also real odd!!
We must take care we dont give too much away. I'll stick to my files on hard disk I think. But I do think lots of the genalogy sites are really good if they are used with caution. I think 1920 should be the outside date for posting up names and never living people - theres too much info online to locate people and their details.
The more you do of this family history the wiser you get, but beginners should take care --its easy to get excited when you start digging up your past --make sure you dont unearth your present!!
M.Ann
Sussex families around Burwash and Heathfield:   Sands, Upfield, Haffendon, Isted and Langridge

Somerset - Bath: Hooper, Taunton: - Poole, Castle Carey: - Colley

Cardiff: - Hooper, Davies (please no Queries!!)

Surrey - Butler, Hersey- around Normandy, Woking

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Dad aged two in 1891
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 November 08 00:40 GMT (UK) »
 I have had my tree on Tribal Pages since 2003,no problems,never put liveing people on,except me and my children,then the information is hidden anyhow,it dose give you details of relationships and lots of other features,never had any problems.leave my tree open for others who are searching for same family.
http://www.tribalpages.com/tribes/j111048

Joyce
Hickman,Cleobury Mortimer,Shropshire/Staffordshire, Parkes,Dudley,Beddoes Lindridge,Cleobury Mortimer,
Asker,Snettisham,Norfolk,Newby Howe,Kensington,SuffolkLawrence,Greenwich,Bermondsey.Putman,Kensington,Hertfordshire.

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Dad aged two in 1891
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 16 November 08 00:51 GMT (UK) »

I forgot to add,been a member of GenesReunited practicaly from the start.without it,would not have found my long lost cousin in Australia,visited twice,or my husbands adopted brothers son,just before my husband died in 2006,a cousins brother,she had not seen for over twenty years,my own brother,I met for the first time in my life last year,me 59 he 76,this is just a few of the successes I have had because of the site,I never put liveing people on myself,also the added fact that all e-mails are via GenesReunited,gives added protection.
Joyce
Hickman,Cleobury Mortimer,Shropshire/Staffordshire, Parkes,Dudley,Beddoes Lindridge,Cleobury Mortimer,
Asker,Snettisham,Norfolk,Newby Howe,Kensington,SuffolkLawrence,Greenwich,Bermondsey.Putman,Kensington,Hertfordshire.

Offline M.Ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 16 November 08 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes - its really nice when things work out well and you can find people that you would really like to trace and that when you do meet up with them its really fulfilling. That doesnt always happen though.
Its true sites like genes and ancestry.com do give a certain protection in that they are password protected and you dont need to divulge even who you are unless you want to enter into a closer rapport with a person through personal messaging and more if its appropriate.
No my beef with genes was on another issue altogether and it was not being able to view the trees where holders have given permission to view. Some are so big they just dont load properly. I think many chatters agreed on that but I do agree it is a most useful site among many. I have been studying my tree since 1980 and the internet has enabled me to add so many details and interact with many who are interested in my research as I am in theirs. As long as we proceed with care and respect its all to the good and very, very rewarding.
Sussex families around Burwash and Heathfield:   Sands, Upfield, Haffendon, Isted and Langridge

Somerset - Bath: Hooper, Taunton: - Poole, Castle Carey: - Colley

Cardiff: - Hooper, Davies (please no Queries!!)

Surrey - Butler, Hersey- around Normandy, Woking