Author Topic: Genes Un/united  (Read 7959 times)

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Genes Un/united
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 October 08 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

I took me ages to realise that I could travel up the line person by person.

I had to do that for a Tree with 3000 names but they were very closely connected otherwise I would have given up  >:(

Ambers
GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 October 08 12:18 BST (UK) »
I now make a habit of asking the contact which parent or grandparent the person we might have in common comes from so it makes it a bit quicker.

I wish GR would actually care about whether the system they adopt works or not.  >:(

I also direct people to my tree on tribal pages these days and keep that one as the updated tree.

Much quicker and better all round IMHO

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline ambers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 October 08 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

I will get around to putting my Tree on Tribal Pages soon.... can you just upload from GR or do I have to type everything in again ???

GR is very handy for contacts, although it's me giving all the information to people who married into the family. Hopefully one day I will make at least one contact with the same Greats as me.

I only keep the background of two of my grandparents on it, the other side are Davies and Evans....can you imagine the Hot Matches I would get if I entered them ::) :o

Ambers
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 October 08 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambers

You can upload any gedcom to Tribal pages and it is really easy.  There are instructions on the site somewhere.

Kerry :)

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline M.Ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 October 08 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi 'chatters
Yes I take on board all that is said. Yes it is the large trees that give the problems, they just dont load at all or take forever. My computer usually gives up. Some of these trees run into hundreds and one I was trying to view had over 2000 names!! Its shouldnt be a problem to pan around these trees zoom in and out...I know its not 'Google earth' and I do fine with that ...so it has to do with the site. The simpler the tree and the smaller it is the better for this site.
They have contacted me and told me to ensure that I have the mowst up-to-date macromedia flash player. Thats on, I've checked. But YOU MUST ALLOW POP UPS apparantly and I dont as my machine is on a home hub connected to my husbands who works at home and I cannot compromise his security and I dont want the annoyance of pop ups. The site relies heavily on advertising...naughty when its subscription based, so someones making money out of this site.
The 'Tribal pages' site looks interesting but the trees dont show sibling relationships but there are lots of nice features in there. I might explore this and the rootsmagic one also
We Sands have a ning site which allows us to invite fellow researchers with our name interest but it would be nice to post a link in our site to access each others trees, we do file reports there but sometimes its good to show spatial generational relationships graphically. Genes R is good for messaging but the interest is too big for it to cope with large trees and there it falls down and I rest my case. I'm glad to find some agreement. M.Ann
Sussex families around Burwash and Heathfield:   Sands, Upfield, Haffendon, Isted and Langridge

Somerset - Bath: Hooper, Taunton: - Poole, Castle Carey: - Colley

Cardiff: - Hooper, Davies (please no Queries!!)

Surrey - Butler, Hersey- around Normandy, Woking

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 October 08 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi M.Ann

Tribal pages does show siblings but it depends which setting you have on.  For instance if you look at descendents, the siblings are there.

I wasn't aware about having pop ups switched off on GR, that's probably why I have so much trouble with the trees, I have all adverts and pop ups switched off.  That is very naughty and very annoying  >:( >:(

Kerry

Offline ambers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 October 08 19:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kerry, :)

I will give Tribal Pages at go.

That's funny because GR have never mentioned pop ups to me when I have complained. As we pay a subscription, why do we have to accept pop ups to be able to view other people's Tree's ???

Ambers

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 October 08 13:37 BST (UK) »
If you post your tree on Tribal Pages, make sure that you set the viewing permissions up correctly - there has been a few people complaining that they have had their trees "stolen" when they have failed to set access rights correctly.  Personally, I would NOT use them, because they seem pretty clueless - although I had my access rights set correctly, TP hadn't stopped search engines like Google from accessing and publishing data on living people  ::)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 October 08 14:19 BST (UK) »
There's a simple answer to that, don't put them on your tree  ;D

Kerry