Author Topic: 1841 Census - Any Logic?  (Read 4629 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1841 Census - Any Logic?
« on: Friday 17 October 08 17:39 BST (UK) »
Was there any logic to the order in which people were ennumerated on the 1841 England census?

On my Humphriss line I find John 41 (seems the ennumerator chose not to round off ages) Bricklayer. I was expecting (hoping) to find him with wife, Sarah (I think I'm loosing the plot) Mary, (as per baptism record (IGI ectracted) of Charlotte (1824) instead I find:
John 3(maybe 5 or 8?); Charles 7; Emma 5; Eliza 3; Elizabeth 38; Matilda 10; Eliza 5; Alfred 1.

Is that reasonably safe to assume that Elizabeth is not John's wife and maybe is his sister (in law)? Surely they'd not have 2 living children by the same name? Would I be right to think the children after John are his and the one's after Elizabeth are hers?
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - Any Logic?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 October 08 18:13 BST (UK) »
In my opinion I would say they are separate families, living in the same house and Elizabeth 38; Matilda 10; Eliza 5; Alfred 1, are one family group.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 October 08 18:13 BST (UK) »
What are the details for all these people in the 1851 census?
What do baptismal entries & birth certificate(s) say?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 October 08 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Kia

Are you looking at the image, rather than the index?

What's the reference?

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 October 08 18:16 BST (UK) »
I was looking at the image  :)

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 October 08 18:18 BST (UK) »
Ah you didn't say.

Give us a clue and maybe we can answer Pauline's questions between us?

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 October 08 18:34 BST (UK) »
I see they are in Warwickshire in 1841 and the way they are arranged on the page certainly suggests that they are one family headed by John, closely followed by Elizabeth and her children.

They don't seem to be together in 1851 but that could be harder to spot because the older children are independent and/ or married by then. Maybe you've found them already?

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 October 08 19:06 BST (UK) »
1841 - HO107/1143/10/27 - having found 1851/1861 I think this is the wrong John Humphris, but then the the older kids that I have found baptisms for on the IGI (extracted) could all have fled the nest by 1841
1851 - HO107/2077/9/46 (at least I think it's 46 but the number is backwards) - widower living with son Joseph
1861 - RG9/2242/25/19 - widower living alone

The John Humphries (Humphriss/Humphris) I am looking for had children John 1814; Ann 1817; Joseph 1819; Elizabeth 1822; Charlotte 1824; Esther 1825.
Charlotte was my link and I just got her marrige cert today, so am trying to trace her line back.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 October 08 19:11 BST (UK) »
Where did Charlotte marry and what else does the cert say? Does John's occupation fit, in other words! and who are the witnesses.

Do you have her in 1841, d'you think?

:)