Author Topic: whats your reason?  (Read 10604 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: whats your reason?
« Reply #45 on: Monday 22 October 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry a bit long winded but it might help someone. 
regards Reyz :)
Great to read your brickwall story & its resolution. Tenacity is so important in family history research. I might make a list of my brickwalls so that whoever takes up the 'baton' after I have died can know where they are & hopefully be as tenacious.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 14 February 19 07:22 GMT (UK) »
My reason is same as mentioned by many others on Roots. It was "Curiosity" that kick-started my research.
Most of my direct line back to 16th century were just ordinary folks who probably had hard lives.
There are some mysteries and some sad things in my direct line.

There is always more to find out especially when you look at the other branches of ancestors cousins and uncles. Doing this I discovered a "Gentleman" landowner and a Nottinghamshire Lace Manufacturer.

Other possible distant relatives I am trying to uncover include a merchant sailor who was Shanghaied onto Cooks HMB Endeavour. This explorer ship discovered Australia and mapped coastlines of New Zealand north and south islands. It sailed for almost 3 years from 1768 and 38 of the 95 crew died on the journey.

A murder at Ambergate, Derbyshire in 1875 over the repayment of a 3/- debt.

Then there was an unwanted child who was brought up in a workhouse and at age 25 was convicted of rioting and setting fire to a silk mill and was sentenced to death. At the eleventh hour there was a reprieve of sorts and he received the "King's Mercy" and in 1833 was deported on the prisoner ship Jupiter with a life sentence on Van Diemen's Land.

Our research is never ending.

Andy_T       
Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 14 February 19 08:15 GMT (UK) »
I began this never ending journey after my father died.  My mother gave me lots of papers including BMD certificates for his family.
After thanking her I asked where hers were. She replied that she did not have any.
I decided to find out what I could.
Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 14 February 19 09:02 GMT (UK) »
My reason is also to find answers to questions. Those come from information that had no real background and seemed awfully unlikely. I too am curious and I wanted to know and to find those answers.  History and Geography were my favourite subjects at school and I followed the history through to UNI. There I also discovered the distinction between types of history.

My family became so small following the death of my Dad, I hardly knew any relatives, especially on my Dad's side. My grandmother was English, there were stories of Irish members and people I did not know. Eventually my grandmother died and this began niggling at me.  It all came tumbling in when I realised that I was pretty much the last of my era. I decided then that this needed to be done for all. I got kick started by receiving a 22 page compilation of my husband's family on his paternal line from a relative in England. I am so grateful for this.

I decided about 15 yrs ago to start.  Yes many brick walls and in most cases little information.  My Aunt was responsible for everything following my grandmother's death but a box full of correspondence from England unfortunately lost it's contents in the sorting.  What that may have told me I shall never know. I just wish I had sat and read all those years ago.
Now I follow every family group as they add to the family history. It is an amazing journey and ...  yes addicted is the buzz word.

Essnell

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 14 February 19 09:42 GMT (UK) »
.... tracing a "Jones" in Wiltshire is quite a challenge to say the least.  Still, I am making progress.   :)

just try chasing one in Wales ....  ;D
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 14 February 19 18:00 GMT (UK) »
My mum saying " Kacker the mort adoi. " to my aunt  :-X
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 14 February 19 19:25 GMT (UK) »
.... tracing a "Jones" in Wiltshire is quite a challenge to say the least.  Still, I am making progress.   :)

ditto for chasing Thomas in Wales and McCarthy in Ireland  ???
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 14 February 19 20:50 GMT (UK) »

ditto for chasing Thomas in Wales and McCarthy in Ireland  ???

Or James Wilson and Ann Weir in Scotland!
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 14 February 19 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Watching Alex Haley's Roots mini series many years ago. I started asking questions with my mother, who in turn directed me to my grandmother and paternal aunt.  And so it began......
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.