Author Topic: William Matthew MITCHELL marriage c1917 Plymouth  (Read 4749 times)

Offline jannergray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: looking for marriage William Matthew MITCHELL 1917ish - Plymouth
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 October 08 20:59 BST (UK) »
Umm...

Well, Ive had another look through FreeBMD and Ancestry.

Ive found the following children all registered with the surname KNOWLES, with a Mother's Maiden Name of FOSTER, and one as MITCHELL...

1. Stanley K MITCHELL, - Sept Qtr 1918 - Maiden Name FOSTER
2. William M KNOWLES, also MITCHELL - June Qtr 1919 - Maiden Name FOSTER
3. Edith E KNOWLES, also MITCHELL - Sept Qtr 1920 - Maiden Name FOSTER
4. John J KNOWLES, also MITCHELL - Mar Qtr 1922 - Maiden Name FOSTER
5. Ellen E KNOWLES - no mention of MITCHELL - Mar Qtr 1924 - Maiden Name MITCHELL! (Its interesting that this birth was registered in the same Qtr as when Ellen married William MITCHELL!)

Very complex. I wonder why the children were being registered as KNOWLES and as MITCHELL up to 1924? This would seem odd if Thomas KNOWLES was already dead? Unless they were all Thomas' children and they were just not registered at the time... although I think Im right in saying this was illegal!

I can not seem to find any earlier children for Thomas and Ellen which as you say is odd - I'll keep looking though!

Also the 1901 Census is proving hard to find them. Have you a birth year for Ellen or William Senior?

Graham

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 October 08 21:11 BST (UK) »
This is crazy........

I have found an Ellen Elizabeth Foster - March 1881 Plympton, 5b, 222

and a Thomas William Knowles - June 1876 Okehampton, 5b, 391

Could be??

I found William (junior's) marriage to my Gran in 1951 - she was 12 years older than him......

Offline jannergray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 October 08 21:18 BST (UK) »
 Mad aint it!

I too have found Ellen Elizabeth Foster born 1881 at Plympton. This is my neck of the woods. Have started searching for her in 1901 although this is far from easy.

From the 1891 Census it appears that she was living with her Mother who had been widowed and re-married to a Corporal in the Royal Marines called Samuel White.

Ellen is living with her Mother, also Ellen, her sister Edith and her brother Frederick. Ive a feeling Ellen may have taken her stepfather's name for the 1901 census, although having said this I cant find her as Ellen White either, so more searching I think...

I know the Foster Family were big in this area, Plympton, Plymstock, Brixton and Yealpton, etc. I researched a Friends' Foster ancestry a year or so ago... I will dig out this research as I may have some info on Ellen!

Graham

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 October 08 21:25 BST (UK) »
My my..........what a twist!!! - So she COULD be a WHITE???

And what about the run of 2nd marriages in the family????

I didn't look at 1891 to be honest............would dearly appreciate your help Graham.

I will order Ellen's (2nd) marriage certificate to determine both parties' fathers names at least - and I may order Edith or Stanley's birth certs..........

Tremendous stuff this!!!

best wishes
Phil

Offline jannergray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 October 08 21:31 BST (UK) »
Okay

Ellen Elizabeth FOSTER, born 1881 was born at Newton Ferrers, Devon (a short distance from Plympton).

She was the daughter of Frederick and Ellen FOSTER. On the 1881 Census Frederick was 24, born at Newton Ferrers, Ellen was 21 and born at Brixton.
Their children in 1881 were Edith, aged 2 born at Brixton and Ellen aged 3 months, born Newton Ferrers.

The Father, Frederick John FOSTER married Ellen Sophia SHILLABEER in the March Qtr of 1878 at Plympton. Frederick died in the March Qtr of 1887. Hence this makes sense that Ellen had remarried to Samuel WHITE in the March Qtr of 1889 at Plymouth.

As the FOSTER's were from Newton Ferrers I am definitely going to have a lot more information on them. This is where my Friend's Family originated,  and I'll message you personally to get your email so I can email it across to you.

Thats the update for now.

Graham

Offline jannergray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 October 08 21:38 BST (UK) »
This is getting more and more complicated

Ellen Sophia SHILLABEER who married Frederick John FOSTER was widowed in 1878 when Frederick died.

Ellen remarried in 1889 to Samuel WHITE. Samuel died at East Stonehouse in Sept Qtr 1892, aged 29.

A matter of months later, at East Stonehouse in December Qtr 1892 Ellen remarried again to James COULSON.

Thats husband number 3.

So perhaps scrub the idea that Ellen junr could have been WHITE... she could be FOSTER, WHITE or COULSON!!! That is if she took the step-father's name.

Graham

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 October 08 21:46 BST (UK) »
Haha - I'm laughing at the incredulity of it all - quite staggering!!!!

I'm so grateful for your interest Graham = I'm more than willing to email personally with you - just wait until my brothers hear this story!!!!

Really though, she is Ellen Foster on the grounds FREDERICK was her real father..........

Great stuff

Hope to hear from you again Graham

Phil

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 October 08 21:49 BST (UK) »
Haha - I'm laughing at the incredulity of it all - quite staggering!!!!

I'm so grateful for your interest Graham = I'm more than willing to email personally with you - just wait until my brothers hear this story!!!!

Really though, she is Ellen Foster on the grounds FREDERICK was her real father..........

Great stuff

Hope to hear from you again Graham

Phil

Offline jannergray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 October 08 21:49 BST (UK) »
The strange occurrences in the GRO indexes continues...

Ellen Sophia FOSTER married Samuel WHITE at Plymouth in March Qtr 1889.

and AGAIN!

Ellen Sophia FOSTER married Samuel WHITE on the 20th April 1892 at St Paul's Church, East Stonehouse. (I have this on an index)

Now try and work that one out!

I'm going to get all this down on paper so as not to confuse myself and then I'll see what else I can find. If it'd help I'll put all this in an email to you in a more concise order?

Graham