Author Topic: hughes family  (Read 1438 times)

Offline whdsn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
hughes family
« on: Saturday 18 October 08 15:23 BST (UK) »
hi
    I'm searching my grandmothers ancestors. her father was thomas James hughes born abt 1878 married Annie reardon in 1901 pontypridd. his father was thomas henry hughes and his mother could be Elizabeth. thats all i know about them any information would be helpful thank you

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: hughes family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 October 08 15:38 BST (UK) »
do you have the marriage cert???

if so what are occupations of groom and father - and who were witnesses???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 October 08 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Although he married in Glamorgan - was he born there or in a different county?

You say he was born about 1878 - have you looked for him on the 1881 census which is free to search yourself at www.familysearch.org
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline whdsn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 October 08 16:07 BST (UK) »
hi
    the groom occupation is a haulier and his father was a labourer. witnesses are thomas henry hughes and Elizabeth hughes.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 October 08 16:22 BST (UK) »
Although he married in Glamorgan - was he born there or in a different county?

You say he was born about 1878 - have you looked for him on the 1881 census which is free to search yourself at www.familysearch.org
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline whdsn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 October 08 16:33 BST (UK) »
hi carole
             yes no joy

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 October 08 16:46 BST (UK) »
Freebmd has 2 births in Glamorgan for Thomas James Hughes. 1877 Swansea and 1878 Llanelly

CONDITION ON APPLICATION

As you know his parents names, you could always send for a copy of the birth cert but put a condition on your application that you only want it if the parents were ????.  If it’s the wrong one – you will only be charged a search fee which I think is around £3-£4.  In this case I would only mention the fathers name as mothers name is uncertain

Search by GRO

If you have done your own searching in the GRO indexes and have found more than one reference to the name you are researching, or are unsure which is the entry you require, the GRO offer reference checking online.

The charge is £7 for action on the first entry, which includes the cost of the certificate, and £3 for checking each subsequent reference against the information you have provided.   You have the option of asking them to either stop at the first reference which agrees with your information or to check all references

You must give them one piece of information that you are sure will appear on the certificate for example,  the exact date of the event or a parent(s) name(s). You must fill in the reference checking sheet which is accessed by pressing the reference checking button near the bottom of the page,  and fill in all the fields that you would like the entry to be checked against before
you press the 'Submit' button. A certificate will only be issued if the entry they check matches the checking point you give them.

Offline whdsn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 October 08 17:15 BST (UK) »
hi on the 1901 census they have a thomas hughes as a boarder in matthewstown the same place as my grandmother was born. they have him down as being born 1878 in methyr vale. i had a look at the 1881 and 1891 censuses and can't find him. where would methyr vale cover?