Author Topic: Looking for info from any census on this couple  (Read 972 times)

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Looking for info from any census on this couple
« on: Tuesday 01 February 05 18:39 GMT (UK) »
I am interested to see if anyone can find this couple on any census because I can't seem to find them anywhere

I am looking for William Branch born abt 1845 he married Mary Ann after 1861. Mary Ann was born in Docking, Norfolk
1845. I can't find them on any census or find a marriage date. In 1881 there is a Florence Branch visiting one of Mary Ann's  sisters in Docking and she was age 17 and born in Docking. I kind of hope she maybe a daughter of my elusive couple. Can anyone find anything on this couple for me.

Desperately needing help. Angela.

Offline Paul J Ballard

• RootsChat Member
  • www.paul-ballard.com for UK Ballard Genealogy
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info from any census on this couple
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Florence is in the 1871 Census too:-

Church Street, Docking
Robert Bennett; head; married; aged 52; Blacksmith; born Snettisham, Norfolk
Frances Bennett; wife; married; aged 49; born Docking, Norfolk
John I Bennett; son; unmarried; aged 15; Blacksmith Apprentice; born Docking, Norfolk
Florance A Branch; Grand daughter; unmarried; aged 7; scholar; born March, Cambridgeshire

RG10/1858 folio 40 page 5

As she is not shown as a visitor or boarder etc it seems likely that she was lving with them and raises the prospect that either or both parents were dead by 1871.

I checked for deaths in Cambridgeshire, assuming that Florence is indeed the daughter of William and Mary, and found an entry in the index for a Mary Branch aged 26 in the March quarter of 1871 for Cambridge Volume 3b page 355.

I could not find any likely candidate for Mary Ann Branch in 1871 anywhere and whilst there are a few Williams around it is difficult to know whether any of them are prospective "hits" unless you happen to knwo where he was born?

FreeBMD shows only one marriage for a William Branch between 1861 and 1871 in June Quarter of 1867 Norwich Volume 4b page 277. Of course FreeBMD isn't complete but thought you might like to know.

If you've got anything more to go on I'll gladly take another look.

Paul
Ballard in UK all locations and dates.
Other lines of interest - Wills, Bishop, Samuels, Dunnell, Easey, Wes(t)comb(e), Richarson, Jarvis, Mathews, Stoneham, Jarvis, Ingram, Edwards, Catt, Moore, Lintott, Tee, Lee, Phillips, Davies, Drew, and a few more!

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 19:54 GMT (UK) »
This is fantastic,  If Florence is William and Mary Ann's Daughter then Robert Bennett and Francis would be her grandparents.

I know nothing of William Branch. Only that he married Mary Ann who could have a surname of Melton or Bennett
(Parents were Robert Bennett and Francis Melton)

The death of Mary branch would fit age wise with my Mary.
I think you have begun to unravel this family.

Florence would have been born abt 1863/4  so if that was Williams marriage to Mary Ann surely Florence would have been a Melton or a Bennett.

It is getting a bit complicated now. Wonder why they went to Cambridge, Hmmm.   Need to go and search a bit deeper.

Thanks for the 1871 census details I will go and see what I can find out.

You're one in a million you have helped me out no end.

All the best Angela.

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi To all have just found the chr for Florence

Florence Agnes Branch chr 25 Dec 1863 in Docking. Parents William and Mary Ann Branch

So they must have been married before 1863 and after 1861. Mary Ann was living with her parents 1861 in Docking

Now just to find out what happened to her parents.

Angela.

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Freebmd must have added a few more entries scince I last looked for this family because now there is a marriage of William Branch in Mar qtr 1863 but no mention of partner but the date is right. Marriage in Docking

Florence Agnes Branch  Married Frederick William Dunn in Docking Mar qtr 1893.

I should have known better and checked out freebmd before I totally give up.  Let that be a lesson to everyone.
Freebmd is updating at a good rate at the moment so its always worth going back and checking.

Angela.