Author Topic: surname macgummigal 1810 onwards derry  (Read 2383 times)

Offline annnie 3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
surname macgummigal 1810 onwards derry
« on: Saturday 18 October 08 19:49 BST (UK) »
help please.
My g.g.g.grandfather Daniel macgummigal/macgonnigal was born in Derry  in about 1810. He arrived in Glasgow think sometime in the 1830's as he is listed on the Scottish census of 1841.

Does anyone know about any crossings from Ireland to Scotland in the 1830's?
His wife was Rosanna Boyle  they had several children the last called James b.1848. I think  Rosanna died because she is not on the 1851 census and in 1852 Daniel married again.

His occupation was a cloth singer- is this something to do with shirt making?

Is the surname Macgummigal from Derry?

Thanks
                       Annie 3

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: surname macgummigal 1810 onwards derry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 October 08 22:17 BST (UK) »
Travel between Ireland and Scotland has always been common and there were any number of crossings possible. Unfortunately records weren't kept of such passengers.
McGonnigal (and variations in spelling) is a surname found in many places in Ireland including County Londonderry and County Donegal.
To trace the family in Ireland you need to know their religion and where they lived to search for church records (if they exist).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: surname macgummigal 1810 onwards derry
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 October 08 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I agree with Aghadowey on travel and the name. As for the shirt making industry I cannot find any reference to a "shirt singer" but in the 1820 s the cottage linen industry was in serious decline and shirts which had been considered as undergarments were becoming fashionable. A Londonderry farmer,William Scott, recognised the opportunity and had his family start making shirts for shops in Londonderry and Glasgow. It is unlikely that your macgummigal would have been involved unless he was a "Seller"i.e. went to Glasgow to sell Scotts shirts. That was just a passing thought.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim