Author Topic: marriage index query  (Read 3452 times)

Offline magicspice

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marriage index query
« on: Saturday 18 October 08 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Newbie here with a general question regarding the marriage index. I am looking for my g grandparents marriage cert. I am certain I have found the husband, he shows up in 1903, Q2, vol 11a, page 920. Cross referencing the wife, an entry exists for the same year and quarter but the volume and page reference is different. Should it be the same??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, this is the first time I have tried searching indexes.

thanks!

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: marriage index query
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 October 08 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat :D

The Volume and page number should be the same. What are their names and district you think they would have married in? I'll have a look.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline magicspice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 October 08 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,
Thomas Wilkins, Pontypridd and Mary Jane Harris.

thanks
Heather

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 October 08 12:20 BST (UK) »
Where did you get your g. grandmother's name from ?

The possible candidates for the GRO reference given are Margaret Jane Humphries or Elizabeth Ann Bunney.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 October 08 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather

Nick has beaten me to it.

How do you know your g grandmother's name? what information leads you to believe 1903 is a likely year for marriage? have you located the two of them on the 1901 census?

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline magicspice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 October 08 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
My g grandmothers name comes from my father, who says that all he knows about her is that her name was Mary Jane Harris and that she came from Tredegar. I can't find her definatively on the 1901 census. There is a possibllity in Mountain Ash, another possibility in Pontypridd and another somewhere else whose name escapes me at this minute, but he is fairly insistent that its Tredegar.

Thomas Wilkins, however, I am fairly certain I have correctly identified in 1901. He is living as a single man in his fathers house at 117 Middle St Pontypridd (a street in which my father spent the first 20 years of his life living). My father has also identified some of Thomas' siblings as his great uncles / aunts. I know that my grandfather was born in 1906 and that he was the second of five children. I checked the index between 1902 and 1905 and identified the marriage of Thomas referred to in my earlier post. It cross references with a Mary Harris married in Pontypridd in the same year and quarter but with a different reference. It was not until I had ordered that certificate yesterday that I pondered that maybe they should have the same reference (hey ho! £7 up the swanee!)

After making my post yesterday I widened the search and looked between 1901 and 1906 and extending the location further across Glamorgan, and came across one Thomas Wilkins in Q2 1901 in Merthyr Tydfil and another Thomas Wilkins in Q4 1906 (Wilkins's it transpires have a habit of marrying after becoming pregnant) in Pontypridd but neither of them cross reference with a Mary Harris.

I was looking for the marriage cert in order to ascertain Mary's parents names to identify them in the 1901 census, but realistically I'm unsure of what to do next. Interestingly the fifth of Thomas and Mary Jane's children is still alive and living in the house in which she was born in 1911. However, when another relative (with whom we have lost touch) tried talking to her about her family 20 years ago for the purposes of family history she flatly refused to talk! And at the age of 97 and in very frail health I'm not sure its something I feel that she should be troubled with............

Any constructive suggestions greatly appreciated and very welcome.....
Many thanks for all responses so far.
Heather
xx

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 October 08 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather, and welcome to Rootschat!

Do you have your grandfather's birth certificate?  It should have your great-grandmother's maiden name on it, to confirm your father's information.

Kind regards
Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 October 08 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Heather

I'm afraid you cannot believe what your father told you without proof especially as it was another generation back.  My grandfather told me his father was Daniel but his birth cert said Frederick.

As Gaie says you need your grandfathers birth certificate

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline noo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 October 08 22:32 BST (UK) »
as someone who was told 'for sure' that her great great grandmother was spanish and then I found out they were from Norwich I wouldnt believe what your father says until you see it in black and white!!!
get your grandfather's birth cert, then identify the parents names, then look for the marriage, humphrey, harris, not so different, you might find that the cert you have sent off for is correct, but her name is humphrey instead..
here goes....
BATSON - Norwich then London
RAWLINS -  London
JENNER - Sussex then London
SEAL - London
MARNS - Ireland(?) then London
POWELL - Wales then London
BENSTED - Kent
DODSWORTH - Yorkshire
LARGE - London
DORTON - London
ALEXANDER - Scotland then London