Author Topic: Mary Ann Riddle Completed  (Read 5667 times)

Offline hoopersct

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Riddle
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 07:42 BST (UK) »
hello I am sorry about your grandparents and that your grandad didn't know about his sister before he passed away.I am pretty sure she didn't go to Canada or was adopted.We assume maybe the Barnardo home was near Guildford?My sister believes Mum was told her parents had been killed in an accident.I do have a copy of birth certificate.Sadly my father is no longer alive either.The information has always been sketchy which is why we are so surprised but the story seems to be our mum.Was your grandfather known as Capstick or Riddle.
Best wishes
Alison

Offline hoopersct

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 11:14 BST (UK) »
Do you have any information on what happened to Annie their mother and when she died? What a sad life that lady had.Looking forward to hearing from you alison

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hello again he was brought up as Riddell,but his birth certificate was Riddle,he only found out this when he wanted to get married and returned to Tynemouth to get his birth certificate,he knew his mums first name and his sisters,he didnt remember his fathers name but he remembered him,they were not married,but seems from conversation both had the same dad, no love lost there,but he always hoped Mary was happy as he promised he would look after her as he was older,he wouldnt tell you much as it still upset him,and the fact he was only very young himself,so I think I need to contact Barnados and see what they have on William and Mary,Gillian
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline hoopersct

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 11:52 BST (UK) »
Its all so sad.We don't have her father's name either. We think Mary was happy although her life was cut short. It must have been such a tough time for your grandfather. We know for definite it was Barnardos as our Dad told us that. But searching girls and boys were separated into different homes maybe that is how our Mum got down south.Do you have death cert for Annie and when did William pass away! Alison

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 12:04 BST (UK) »
My grandad died a few years ago,I havnt found Annies death, a bit confusing as there are a few over the period I was looking at,as I said I tried to access her workhouse records to see if I could pick up any small detail but they have closure on them, so without knowing her next of kin its like a needle in a haystack,I have been over to Tynemouth a few times to the heritage centre but nothing to put two and two together,just told mum she has two cousins she is very happy,do you live down south still,we live in Cumbria.
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline hoopersct

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Yes we do live south but my husband has many connections to Tynemouth he was born there, which is how I came across your listing at the weekend whilst doing something for his family. (I must apologise for exclamation mark in my last post my typing not so good.)We are thrilled too to find relatives on our mother's side, because we had so little information we had no idea about your grandfather.My sister believes she has found Annie aged 3 living at 8 Pant Lane North Shields on 1901 census.That would make her17 when she had your grandfather and 19 when my mother was born. It certainly ties up as her mother was Mary Ann and she had an older brother William, so that is a generation back again.Mary Ann and William seem to be family names, if only we could find our mother's father's name.I suspect Annie stayed up North if she went back to find her children and possible she had some more bless her.We will carry on searching and obviously let you know if we find anything relevant.Take care and please pass on our best wishes to your mother. At least she has learned what happened to Mary Ann and she lives on in us

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 16:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alison,I have been in touch with Barnardos and it has a six month waiting list for detailed data ect so I have decided to apply,cant see any harm and then I will let you know if it mentions your mother,please keep in touch,Gillian

Offline hoopersct

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 16:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you of course we will keep in touch. Maybe our two heads new on it might be able to help.Sadly as Mum died when we were so young we don't have an awful lot of information. My sister who is older than me is going to look at some photos she has of my mum and dad before she was born to see if they give us any clues. But it may be that mum was in a Barnardo home in or near Guildford and went to work in London and met him there. He was from London and always said that Barnardo's made the children work from a young age which he disapproved of, so maybe mum had told him that.There are some photos of the homes on their web site which I suppose have been pulled down now. What a week it has been very moving for us as well as exciting.Alison

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 17:03 BST (UK) »
Wow Alison and Gillian, how exciting for you both!!

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!