Author Topic: Drury, Maria  (Read 3200 times)

Offline hneybee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Drury, Maria
« on: Sunday 19 October 08 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm a complete newbie so please forgive me if I've not posted my request in the correct place.
I'm trying to find my gt, gt,  grandmother her name is Maria Drury and she was born around 1840.  Her parents were a John Drury and Bridget o'byrne. Any help would be appreciated

thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Drury, Maria
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 October 08 09:23 BST (UK) »
You've also posted the same query under Ireland-General. Is there a connection with County Cavan? If so, more details might help us find information for you or make suggestions for further research. If not, then this post should be removed to avoid duplication of efforts and confusion.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hneybee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 October 08 13:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry,

I know i've posted this query twice, but my relatives are quite old and i've been told by one old aunt that Maria Drury came from Cavan and another told me she was a romany!.  I've no idea where to start and thought that one of my aunts might be correct but i;'m not sure which one, hence my posts in both general and Cavan. 

To avoid any confusion i will remove the cavan one.

apologies again

Offline janedrury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello there - I am also quite new to this site. Don't know if there is any connection but my GG Grandmother was Jane Drury married to a farmer - Michael Gilsenan. My great grandmother, Mary Gilsenan , was born 26/3/1866. All from Drummin farm in the district of Strathdone in the county of Cavan.

Offline hneybee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

i'm not sure if we have any connection, as i do not have any information about maria other than she married an Owen Keelan in 1861 in Dundee. Do you know who your Jane Drury's parents were?

Offline janedrury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 December 08 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello there - No I don't know her parents yet but working on it. It would appear that Drury is not a very common name in Cavan that is why I posted. I have found a farmer ,James Drury , the only one in Griffiths Valuation of Ireland (Cavan) This interested me because Jane Drury married into a farming family - given the cast system at the time this would be a possibility. I will keep you posted on anything I come across. Where are you ? I'm in Scotland.

Offline hneybee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 December 08 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm in Scotland too.  I'm sorry I've got so little information to go on re Drury but all my relatives are quite old now and they are.nt really sure of everything.  one has told me Maria was a Romany another told me she came from england and another that she was Irish.  i did manage to establish that she definitely came from ireland as it was given on a census form.  The Cavan connection appears on another census return for maria where her surname is spelled as Drewery however, she gives her birth country as Cavan, Ireland.  Ill keep looking and if i come up with anything I'll let you know

:)

Offline dblucas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 01:52 BST (UK) »
Any chance you have a Patrick Gilsenan or Gulshenan born around 1840 in Knocknagarten, County Cavan, Ireland in your pedigree. He married a Susan Hetherton from Knockatemple, Virginia, County Cavan, Ireland.

Sincerely,

David

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php