Author Topic: American birth look up please  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
American birth look up please
« on: Monday 20 October 08 14:32 BST (UK) »
I would be v ery grateful if anyone with access to American sites could find a birth of a MARY CRONIER b about 1819 in Baltimore  Maryland(according to the British census) She is my 3 times ggrandmother who lived in Westminster at the time of the birth of my ggrandfather.I know nothing about her--no date of arrival in England etc.On one census there was a sister (no name) who was born in New Jersey.
Thank you
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: American birth look up please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 October 08 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

Was Cronier her maiden or married surname?  On which UK census(es) does she appear, and in what name?

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 October 08 17:39 BST (UK) »
Cronier was her mauden name. She married a William Hart mann (as on his sons birth cert)but I have not found a marriage cert.Son was born 184 in London. On the 1851 census she is widowed witha 6 year old son. Her name then was Mary Ann mann.
Thanks
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 October 08 17:51 BST (UK) »
Cronier was her mauden name. She married a William Hart mann (as on his sons birth cert)but I have not found a marriage cert.Son was born 184 in London. On the 1851 census she is widowed witha 6 year old son. Her name then was Mary Ann mann.
Thanks
Ringrose

Have you got the 1851 reference?  I'm not easily finding her.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna
1851--HO107/1480St Margarets Westminster-All Saints --Knightsbridge
13Raphael Street--Mary Mann Wid 32 Householder b America Baltimore
                              N.K.son 6 b Pimlico(my ggrandfather William Hart Mann)
                              N.K.sister  30Milliner b Jersey.
1861RG9/36 Chelsea St Saviour
68 Walton Street MaryMann Head wid 40 Dressmaker b America
                            William Mann 16 Porter b Pimlico Middlesex.
I have been unable to find her on 1871 onwards so she might have remarried or died. Its a pity its such a common name.
Many thanks for your interest
Ringrose

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 11:54 BST (UK) »
In 1871, RG 10/88 folio 81 page 54
5 Milner Street, St. Luke Chelsea
(lodging with Robert Buckland, a rope dresser from Sussex)
Mrs Man, lodger, widow, 42, dressmaker b. Baltmore America (spelling as it appears to read on the sheet).

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 13:37 BST (UK) »
Wow that is amazing. I suppose it was the spelling of the surname Mann. It must be her because the are is right.Perhaps I ll have to look at other censuses.
As you have been so clever in finding her I wonder if you can give me any clues at finding my ggrandmather--another Mary Mann(neeLight) born 1849  in Pimlico. She married the William of1851 and 1861 censuses  in1868 and had 13 children. I have found them all on the 1901 but not her. In Athe 1891 she is widowed and living with a few of her sons and a daughter in Parkville Road Fulham.
Any help would be appreciated
Ringrose