Author Topic: Ratcliffe - Kingston LOcal History Room Poor Law Rate Books  (Read 727 times)

Offline T.R.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ratcliffe - Kingston LOcal History Room Poor Law Rate Books
« on: Tuesday 21 October 08 03:21 BST (UK) »
The Poor Law Rate Books for Kingston On Thames are kept at the Kingston local History Room. 

I am hoping that someone may be visiting the History Room and, time permitting, whether a one year search of the records might be carried out.

I have been attempting to determine when Peter and Mary Ratcliffe and family first arrived at Kingston On Thames. 

It is probable that the family may have come from Dorking but I have not been able to find hard evidence of that.  I am hoping that the rate book will provide confirmation.

The IGI indicates that a baptism of a son Henry took place at Kingston On Thames on 17th November 1775.  But no baptisms before that. 

However, the IGI shows earlier baptisms for the children of a Peter and Mary Ratcliffe took place in Dorking in 1774, 1773 and 1771. So it is likely that the family moved from Dorking to Kingston On Thames between November 1774 and the end of 1775.

The family owned property in Dorking and it is likely that property was owned in Kingston upon their move there.  A Poor Law Rate was required to be paid on property at that time.

The Poor Law Rate books for Kingston for the years mid 1772 to the end of 1774 have been searched with no luck.

I am hopeful that a search of the Poor Law Rate Book from November perhaps till the end of 1775 might yield a reference and help to establish an arrival date. 

The book might also provide an property address perhaps an occupation

Is someone in a position to assist? ???

Regards

T.R.
Ratcliffe or Ratcliff (Kingston On Thames, Hampton Wick, Teddington, Dorking), Marshall (Hampton), Cromwell  (Kingston On Thames, Hampton Wick). Netherton (Creed, St Mewan), Nancarrow (Lostwithiel, Lanlivery) Hagelstein (Twyardreath, St Blazey)