Author Topic: Burial Details - Lennel / Coldstream  (Read 1932 times)

Offline MarkEwen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial Details - Lennel / Coldstream
« on: Thursday 23 October 08 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I'm trying to find any information on the surname EWEN (or Ewan, Ewing, McEwen) that may have died in / around Coldstream or is buried in Lennel cemetry.

I have visited Lennel previously and had a quick scout around but to no avail (limited timescale due to screaming kids in the car!!) so any help would be appreciated.

The time period I'm interested in is 1840 - 1860.

Many Thanks
Mark

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Details - Lennel / Coldstream
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 October 08 13:47 BST (UK) »
I had a quick look on SP and found just one result in the name of Ewing for the whole of Berwickshire 1855-1870. I don't have any credits at present so the full details are unknown.

Do you have any definate details (names/years).

As you probably know the cemetery is split into two parts, the older section is left unkempt and is badly overgrown, has toppled stones and there isn't quite the nice neat rows of headstones you would like to find. Many of the stones are either missing or badly eroded and difficult/impossible to read.

Also there isn't a definitive date split between the two grounds, there are some mid 20th century burials in the old grounds alongside some early 19th century stones.

If the family were ag labs or worked in agriculture then they could well be dotted around the countryside, ie Duns, Chirnside, Foulden in one direction, Kelso, Birgham or Wark in the other.

Is it possible they may be buried over the border in England? Perhaps Cornhill or slightly further afield.