Author Topic: Edgars in Moray  (Read 3547 times)

Offline sproutmeister

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edgars in Moray
« on: Thursday 23 October 08 23:39 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if I'm in the right place here but I'll give it a go!

I've been researching the Edgar family (my fathers side) and I'm a pretty way back c1801 to be precise with a James Edgar. I know he is burried in Bellie and lived in Kellas, Dallas, but he was apparently born in East Lothian. I also know his father was also James Edgar (farm manager) and his mother Janet Baillie I'm presuming they were also from East Lothian.

I'm wondering if anyone has any clues as to why someone would move from East Lothian to Moray. I'm thinking if I can figure that out, I may head off some way in the right direction, otherwise, I'm stuck as to how to go about getting more info off the net before I go on my travels in search of more

many thanks
Stephanie
MORAY Edgar McAuley
SUNDERLAND Lower/Lauer
GERMANY ANSPACH Lower/Lauer

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Edgars in Moray
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 December 08 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm.

http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp tells me that James Edgar died at Sauchenbush, Rothes aged 79, in 1880, and that he lived in Fochabers, Forres and Nairn. He married Ann Watt on 23 February 1828 and they had eleven of a family.

Seven of the children are listed in the IGI at www.familysearch.org, and of those the four eldest were born in Bellie between 1828 and 1834 and the three youngest in Nairn between 1847 and 1852. There is a gap of 13 years between the Bellie-born ones and the Nairn-born ones. Two of the Bellie-born ones died young and are buried in Bellie Kirkyard beside their parents.

This in itself is slightly unusual, given that they had apparently left Bellie by about 1840, and implies that even though neither James nor Ann was born there, they maintained a strong link to Bellie throughout their lives.

http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl tells me that in 1841 the family was in High Street, Forres. James was a coachman, aged 40, and Anne is 35, both born outside Moray. The children are James, 10; William, 10; Alexander, 5 and Mary, 2.

In 1851 they were in 6 Douglas Street, Nairn. James was aged 50, a labourer, born Gladsmuir, East Lothian, and Ann was 43 and born in Huntly. The children at home were Mary Ann, 11;  Robert, 9; Francis, 7; Walter, 4; John, 1. The first three were born in Forres and the last two in Nairn. 18-year-old William was an apprentice carpenter at 17 Acre Street, Nairn. Alek, 14, born Nairn, is a stable boy at Westerton, Elgin.

In 1881 Annie was aged 73, a widow, at Sauchen Bush, Rothes, but this time she gave her birthplace as Cairnie, Banffshire.

There also seem to be plenty of Edgars in Gladsmuir in 1841, presumably many of them related to your James.

Interesting that he was a coachman, because I've come across a few of those who seem to have moved some distance from their parish of birth. I also note that he must have moved north as a young unmarried man, and that he spent several years in Bellie.

The obvious inference is that he was originally employed as a groom or coachman in Bellie, and if so the likelihood is that he was employed by the Duke of Gordon at Gordon Castle. The baptism entries of the Bellie-born children might mention his occupation, or say where he lived. You could look at the baptisms at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

I wonder if there is a connection between the Dukes of Gordon and Gladsmuir? Perhaps through Duchess Jane Maxwell, wife of the 4th Duke.

Incidentally James and Ann's son James, born 1830 in Bellie, married Isabella Ingram, and in 1881 they were mine hosts at the Gordon Arms Hotel in Elgin. Their daughter Beatrice Gordon Edgar (I wonder where her name came from?), born 1883, married my 2nd cousin twice removed, James Stephen Souter, a member of the well-known Souter engineering family in Elgin. James and Beatrice had three daughters, all of whom died in England. Two of them married, and the third one became an engineer and worked in Russia - unusual for a woman born in 1917. I can let you have chapter and verse if you contact me privately.

Does this help at all?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sproutmeister

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 December 08 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank so much Forfarian, there is so much for me to to investigate there, I'm just sorry I havn't replied sooner. I do have info about where in Bellie James and Ann are buried etc, but I shall certainly be kept busy with finding out about the Duke of Gordon and the like. As for the link between our trees thats fantastic news. I will PM you like you said.
thanks again
Sprout
MORAY Edgar McAuley
SUNDERLAND Lower/Lauer
GERMANY ANSPACH Lower/Lauer

Offline anm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 February 09 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am a gg granddaughter of James Edgar and Ann Watt.
James married Ann Watt 23 Feb 1828 at Bellie - Ann daughter of Alexander Watt and Janet Buie
Children
James 1828 - 1916 married Isabella McLellan - children Charles, William and Ann - Isabella died 1862 - James then married Isabella Ingram - children Isabella, James, Alexander, Helen, John, Mary, Beatrice and Alfred.
James had lease of Edgars Hotel, Forres, Gordon Arms Hotel Elgin, Gordon Arms Hotel Fochabers and bought the Craigellachie Hotel.
Janet 1830- 1838
William 1832-1907 [who was my gg grandfather]
married Elizabeth Clark - children - James, Daniel, Francis,
Alexander, Dorothea, Ann and George - Elizabeth died 1867
William the married Jessie Ross - children - Jessie, Mary Ann,
William, Jane [who was my grandmother] Elizabeth and Justina.
John 1834-1837
Alexander 1836/37? married Elizabeth Gilchrist - one daughter Alexandrina
Mary Ann 1839-1876 married William Asher one son Alexander 1863-1864 William died 1865 Mary Ann then married William Ross one son James Edgar Ross 1874-1892
Robert 1841-   believe he married Mary? - children Mary and Robert
Francis 1845
Walter 1846
John 1849
Isabella 1852 -1856
Have more info if interested