Author Topic: Stuck on Ellis Island  (Read 8362 times)

Offline Sorock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck on Ellis Island
« Reply #18 on: Monday 16 February 09 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Violet was the sister of my wife's grandmother, Juliette Montague Atherton, Violet married a Harris and Juliette Montague Atherton married John Buel Guard.
Cooke, Guard, Buel, Luce, Beatty, Moritz

Offline Sorock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Violet met Mr. Harris on a cruise to Australia, they had three adopted children, one was accidently killed when young as a result of a horse riding accident. ( I have the article)  They travelled through Europe for a year, went to Honolulu, he was diagnosed with TB, livedon the Island of Maui, They adopted three kids, Barbara Jean, Juliette and Laura Anne (both same age adopted at same time). Laura  Anne had two kids Todd and Scott (possibly both adopted). Laura Anne married a man named Stanley last name unknown.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorock- details of living people can't be posted here but you should now have enough posts to use PM system. To contact C_Bishop just click on green scroll under their user name (on left side of the post), type your message in the box and then send (no one else will see your message).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline petekotkas

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 April 09 20:57 BST (UK) »
I found this page while researching Violet Harris Maui HI.  My family owns a home on Maui that she had built in 1939.  Her name is on the original blueprints hanging in the house, Paia, Maui, HI.  Thanks for the interesting history revealed here.

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 2x Gt Grandmother, Catherine M Turner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 April 09 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi petekotkas!

Wow thats great to hear from you. I think i have a photo of the house you are talking about. I will private message you.

Thanks
Cat
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 25 April 09 22:22 BST (UK) »
Cat- remember new members need to make 3 posts before they can use personal message (pm) system.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 2x Gt Grandmother, Catherine M Turner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 April 09 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey

Yes, i remember, but i have found they can read my message and i include my private email address for them to contact me.

Thanks
Cat
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline Sorock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 April 09 03:15 BST (UK) »
I haven't received any information for months.

Offline Slangridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 16 May 14 06:20 BST (UK) »
George was my great uncle (My Grannies older brother...she was only five when he left for India )
He had a sugar plantation there. Then after contacting malaria three times decided to go to Mauii. He met Violet (aunty Vi) at the post office. He was tall and she was short and he helped her get her mail from her mail box. After he died she adopted three children. I have some more info but it's not with me. He wanted to take my Granny back to Mauii with him after he came to visit England when she was about 12.

Sarah
Park City, Utah