Author Topic: elijah hinchcliffe (convict)  (Read 6091 times)

Offline valerieann

• RootsChat Extra
  • james gordon & robina Fife of clackmannan
    • View Profile
elijah hinchcliffe (convict)
« on: Friday 24 October 08 05:29 BST (UK) »
hello all, Ive just found my Elijah hinchcliffe in the tasmania archives, , he was a convict , born Cumberworth yorkshire,where that is i dont know abt yorkshire,parents are thomas & martha by the info, & was married, ? yet he wed to another convict in tasmania, on the igi , i can only find a chr 23 feb 1817 at cumberworth to thomas hinchcliffe  mary Ingham, could mary be "martha", he was 24yrs old when he arrived in tasmania 13  jan 1842 ,upon the "Barossa" can anybody know of any other info available please to his parents
thanks valerieann
Base/gilham /horn/ brightman/bell  of norfolk england<br />worthington /gilding leicester & notts<br />rose/caunt/cooper/carlisle notts<br />gordon /allan/fife/cook/snadon/stenhouse at clackmannan scotland

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: elijah hinchcliffe (convict)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 October 08 11:03 BST (UK) »

I'd pursue it by looking at all other baps in that batch and then seeing if Cumberworth Elijah disappears from the Uk records. Click on the batch number and you get another serach page where you enter surname and father's name and you get a list of what (may be) siblings). Then look for the family unit in 1841.

Cumberworth, Yorkshire is associated with Huddersfield (west Riding) http://www.hdfhs.org.uk/places/townships/townships.htm.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline valerieann

• RootsChat Extra
  • james gordon & robina Fife of clackmannan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 October 08 06:24 GMT (UK) »
I didnt think anyone had answered me, I had no messages, but there you were thanks Pauline
Base/gilham /horn/ brightman/bell  of norfolk england<br />worthington /gilding leicester & notts<br />rose/caunt/cooper/carlisle notts<br />gordon /allan/fife/cook/snadon/stenhouse at clackmannan scotland

Offline amanda00

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 April 10 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi I found a marriage for Mary Ingram and Elijah in 1810 Darlington, I am researching this family for relatives in Trentham, Vic, Please contact and perhaps we could share info.
Best wishes Amanda, Trentham, Victoria, Aust

Moderator Comment:  Email address removed to prevent spamming etc.  Once you have another couple of posts you can use our personal message system.  Click on the scroll under the poster's name.

Offline Samueller

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 April 10 22:44 BST (UK) »
Be cautious - another Elijah HINCHCLIFFE was bapt in Cumberworth 20 Apr 1818, son of Anne.  She may be either Ann d/o William HINCHCLIFFE bapt 27 Sep 1795 Kirkburton (also on IGI as Hannah d/o William same date but Kirkheaton) or Hannah d/o Jonas and Sarah HINCHCLIFFE bapt 6 Dec 1795 Holmfirth.  HINCHCLIFFEs are numerous in this part of WRY.  In the 1881 census 2,118 of 2,559 HINCHCLIFFEs (and 376 of 473 HINCHLIFFEs) in Great Britain lived in the West Riding, and of these the vast majority lived within 15 miles of Cumberworth.
Sam
Weller: Bucks, Oxford, Kent, Sussex
Aylward: Hants
Morton: Hants
Thorburn: Lancs; Peeblesshire, Roxburghshire
Thorbrand: Roxburghshire
Parlane: Lancs; Renfrewshire
Goldschmidt: Lancs; Germany
Kassell: Yorks
Hewes: Northants; Leics; Yorks

Offline helen58

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 April 12 04:50 BST (UK) »
Elijah Thomas Hinchcliffe was my gg grandfather. Born in York, Yorkshire, England and died Gymbowen, Victoria, Australia. I believe the family settled around Trentham, Kyneton and Daylesford in Victoria, Australia. His son, john Thomas Hinchcliffe, (my g grandfather) was born in Castlemaine, Vic, Aus. and died in Daylesford, Vic, Aus. Am having problems with info of his parents - Thomas Hinchcliffe and Mary Ingham. Hoping somebody may have some info.
Have found more information about Elijah Leslie Hinchcliffe in a book titled Denby and District iv. A chapter of this book follows the journey of Elijah from Yorkshire West Riding, to Tasmania and then onto Castlemaine during the goldrush.

Offline jslash831

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I have information on this family.  I am a descendent from Elijah's brother William Hinchcliffe.

Thank you,
Jennifer Smith

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline jslash831

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 16:29 BST (UK) »
I have information on this family.  I am a descendant from Elijah's brother William Hinchcliffe.

Thank you,
Jennifer Smith