Author Topic: 1801-31 census Sussex  (Read 1599 times)

Offline davep26

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1801-31 census Sussex
« on: Friday 24 October 08 12:52 BST (UK) »
Having got some inspiration from a geneology book and found that Chris has some census information I wondered if someone could please see if there are any of the above census returns that cover Ewhurst, Salehurst and Whatlington areas?

I am looking for Polhill, or Polley (Thomas) and Croft (Sarah and William).

Regards
Dave Polhill

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: 1801-31 census Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 October 08 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave & welcome to Rootschat.
Unfortunately you posted this in the wrong place, it should be under Look-up requests  :) I'm sure Chris will move it when he comes back from his hols.

As far as I know, censuses as earlier as the one's you are looking for were nothing more than  head-counts & wouldn't mention any names  :(

I've been helping another Rootschatter, haliared, concerning an Annie Polhill from Sedlescombe who supposedly married a William Elphick around 1860.  Would there be any connection to your Polhill's?  Here's the link to the thread  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,336272.0.html

If we can help you with anything specific just post a request.

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline davep26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 November 08 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Jane,
Thanks for that. I thought I had put it in Look-up requests. Being new I'm not fully familiar with it all.

I am aware of the Sedlescombe family from haliared, but have not yet found a connection to my branch.

There is a lot of pre-existing documented history of the Polhills of Kent and Sussex, and my aim is to connect with this.

I hope this is in the correct bit to post:
I am trying to find some more information about a Sarah Polhill who gave birth to Thomas in 1792 in Whatlington. He was baseborn. She later married William Croft in 1796 in Whatlington and had two further children. I cannot find any further information on her, her husband or the children William (1797) & Sarah (1799). There is nothing in 1841 onwards censuses. I have looked for deaths in the East Sussex PRO, without success.

I do not have a birth date for Sarah, but estimate it to be about 1775ish. There is a Sarah Polhill baseborn in 1767 in Ticehurst to Mary Polhill. I have not been able to find another Sarah born about that time in Sussex. She may of course have been born in Kent, which is close by.

If you could suggest where I could look or if you have access to any other registers that I do not I would be very grateful.

Regards
Dave

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 November 08 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I think your request has been moved to the right page now  :)

I was going to suggest that you had a look on the Sussex Family History Group site to see if anyone else was researching the Polhill name but if they are they're not on the public pages  :(
http://www.sfhg.org.uk/

You could have a look at the Surname Interest board here in Rootschat (link at bottom of page)

There are a few burials recorded on Family History Online for Sarah Croft in Sussex.  Although pay-per-view it's well worth the small outlay.

http://www.familyhistoryonline.net/

I think it would be wise to search in Kent as well as in Sussex.  However I did find on the National Archives Site the Bastardy exam (held at the ESRO) 'Sarah Polhill charges Alexander Partridge of Whatlington, labourer', so now you know who Thomas's father was!

The A2A (Access to Archives) site gives 'Mary Polhill charges John Pettitt of Hawkshurst, Kent'  14/4/1767.
A little earlier in Ewhurst, 24/4/1764 - Warrant to arrest Putative father's.  'John Rummins of Westfield, servant, father of unborn child of Mary Polhill, singlewomen'.  Mary herself was examined on the same day.

Looking at the full reports held at the ESRO might give you some information.  If you can't go yourself, perhaps you could contact them to see how much they charge for a look-up,

jane

Offline davep26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 November 08 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Jane,
I have been looking at various other sources and found a Sarah Polhill baseborn and christened in Westfield, so I will pursue this one further. Thank you.

How much do you know about bastardy examinations? The example you give from National Archive I have seen at ESPRO in Lewes. It is raised in Salehurst but is aimed at a person in Whatlington. Was it done at the place the woman was living; at the place she was born or some other convenient time to suit the quarter assizes?

It states:
FILE - Bastardy examination - ref. PAR477/34/3/30  - date: 22 Jun 1791 Parish of Salehurst
Contents
Sarah Polhill charges Alexander Partridge, late of Whatlington, labourer

The actual document reads:
County of Sussex
Bastardy Examination
No.26 Before Birth
The voluntary examination of Sarah Polhill of this Parish of Whatlington in the said County single woman, taken on oath before me, one of his majesty’s justices of the Peace in and for the said County this twenty second day of June in the year of our Lord 1791.

This examination under oath doth declare, that she is with child, and the said child is likely to be born a bastard, and to be chargeable to the said Parish of Whatlington. And the said Sarah Polhill doth charge Alexandra Partridge, late of Whatlington afores a labourer with having gotten the said child on her body with which she is now pregnant.

Sworn and subscribed by said Sarah Polhill the day and year first above written, before me William Boys.

And on the rear:
Ex before birth of Mary (sic) Polhill of Whatlington
Warrant to take father
Bastardy

I have wondered if the a2a bastardy was Sarah's mother.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 November 08 15:45 GMT (UK) »
You've got the gist of the Bastardy Order.  They 'examined' the mother under oath to get her to name the father otherwise the mother & child would be the responsibility of the parish (the parish the mother lived in) so they are going to chase the father to get him to pay maintenance.
I, like you, did think that perhaps Mary might be Sarah's mother but difficult to prove at that date  :-\

jane

Offline davep26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 November 08 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Jane,
Thanks for that. What is a bit confusing is that it is referenced to Salehurt parish, but Sarah was of Whatlington parish.
Any ideas?

Dave

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Might be that the county JP examined these cases from the surrounding areas in Salehurst.  Whatlington is a small parish so rather than the JP travelling around all over the place the cases were brought to him.

jane