Author Topic: Google Books for beginners  (Read 6031 times)

Offline VictorianDreamer

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We need some help too!
    • View Profile
Re: Google Books for beginners
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Kerry,

You know you can't drop a name like that, without explaining it! lol
Gotta hear this one  :P

Victoria

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely! Gaius, I know, was a not too popular Caesar. But Diana.... :o

Do tell!  :)

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I think she did once before, but I can't remember the story ... so yes, tell us again please ! 
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 22:07 GMT (UK) »
At the risk of being told of for copyright laws I shall copy and paste from MY website http://www.kerrysfamilyhistory.co.uk/html/nahomi_vincent.html  ;D ;D ::) ::)

I recently came across a book called 'A Detective in Sussex' written by Donald Maxwell (Published by The Bodly Head in 1932) that described a story about how Gaius Diana got his name. I am sure this story is somewhat embellished but I like to think there is a grain of truth in it:

"The curious use of the name Diana as a man's Christian name happened in this wise. Old Mr Winchester, the father of this worthy, was in a state of great anxiety and restlessness for within a few hours, so said the good doctor, his wife would present him with a son or daughter. He was obsessed with the idea that he must think instantly of a name, but the difficulty was the uncertainty of the sex. He might be wasting his time choosing girl's names if it should be a boy and likewise a great waste of energy choosing boy's names if it should be a girl.

He firmly believed that the Bible was verbally inspired and was meant to be a guide for every eventuality. He would consult it in his dilemma and both name and sex could be determined at once. With trembling hands he carried the great volume to the table and in the solemn and fitful illumination of a candle opened the Book at random. The leaves fell apart and turned over slowly until they stopped towards the latter end of the tome. With impartial deliberateness he put his finger down upon a verse and it fell upon these words in the Acts of the Apostles. "Great is Diana of the Ephesians. And the whole city was filled with confusion; and having caught Gaius and ...." This short passage was enough; one name for a girl and one for a boy.

A boy was born and he was baptised Gaius Diana. A mild remonstrance on the part of one or two friends did nothing more than bring forth the assertion that the Bible could not be wrong. Mr Winchester scorned any tinkering with Holy Writ or he could have compromised on Ephesians. Ephesians Winchester would have sounded very well for a boy and for a girl it could have been shortened into Effie."

I think this story is an absolute gem and one of the best stories found so far in my research, I just have this picture in my mind of Old Mr Winchester (James) sat at his desk, long white beard etc and it really brought him to life for me, particularly as we children often used to use the same method to get answers to questions like 'who will I marry'  ;D ;D ;D

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline VictorianDreamer

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We need some help too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 22:20 GMT (UK) »
I can only wish that my parents took that care when naming me, instead of giving me the initials VD!  :-[ lol

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Lovely story, Kerry :)
Victoria - what can I say! ::) At least it hasn't dampened your spirit :)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Victoria - ditto Willow  ;D but at least Victoria is a beautiful name  :D

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline VictorianDreamer

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We need some help too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 08:32 GMT (UK) »
willow154,

It would take an ocean to dampen this spirit  :)

Kerry,

Victoria

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 21:47 GMT (UK) »
A great story about Gaius !

Thank you ...
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk