Author Topic: 652 AOP Squadron RAF * RA  (Read 20332 times)

Offline Bobsy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 652 AOP Squadron RAF * RA
« Reply #27 on: Monday 04 January 10 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dee, and Charles PM to you.
not been on here for a while and not noticed additions for which I apologise.

Yes 652 formed 1 May 1942 Old Sarum, moved to Westley Aug 1942. 
The info on the Site I first looked on changed to Army Air Corps not a lot of info  some on 662 sounded like what i knew but wrong squadron as it did not go to France until days later. Anothher site on the Canadian  Landings mentioned "A" Flight 652 going on in D Day but think it should have been a Flight of 652 as I was in it and in HQ Flight.
Thanks to Kyt's info & my son getting me the book I have correct some errors 
   A Flight.....became..........65?Squadron   B Flight.....became..........65?Squadron
   C Flight.....became..........65? Squadron   D Flight.....became..........65? Squadron
as the dates would not fit but they were definately used to form new squadrons. Also
Major Newton was not the CO of 651 but an X Capt of 651 shot down and awarded MBE promoted to Major when he visited us at Ayr and CO of another Squadron c1945
Bargh,Greaves. Bradley.Butler,Thomason Thirsk Taylor.Wall Thomas Massey Green

Offline btx-alpha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 04 January 10 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dee,
thank you for your info. I have contacted the museum and they are willing to help 'dig' if I give them the basic information.
They were very positive. I am trying to put together a profile of the man major Ralph Cobley both during and after the war.
Anything that anyone can give me would be gratefully received. We do not even have any photos of him while in 652 AOP squadron. It is very difficult for non service people to put together any kind of accurate picture without help. So thank you in advance for anything
at all!!
Charles

Offline Bobsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 04 January 10 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charles,

My Friend Arnold, and I were C/O drivers when his driver was on leave. We were D/R's when the Two brothers D/R's went on leave,and he called us Mr Heath & Mr Robinson as we managed to refill the charging engines with petrol on auto - fill to save getting up at 04.00 hrs as we couldn't rely on the duty guards to do it. [part of the things I have written about in 652]
Cheers Bob T.
Did you get my EM Add ?

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 04 January 10 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Glad the museum is willing to help.  They usually love a challenge...

The book has even briefer details for 653 to 662 Sqn   652,  653, 654, 655, 658,660, 661 & 662 were all formed at Old Sarum  at various dates in 1942 & 1943 and seem to have supported the Army.  Some were absorbed into the AAC and some disbanded..

Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline btx-alpha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 04 January 10 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Dear Bob,
It is funny that he should have used those names above all others as my grandmother, his mother used the expression 'Heath Robinson' all the time. I have replied to your em earlier and I hope it explains a bit. I would like to expand a bit on your time with Ralph. You are probably the only people who could tell me what kind of person he was. Dynamic / Boreing / etc. There is noone left in my family who can give me any information they are all gone. He, Ralph, had no wife nor children and died very young. Whatever recollections you have put colour to the image that we have of him. We know that he was a bit of a tearaway at sandhurst and had an outrageous sense of humour when young. He was nearly thrown out of the force but somehow was miraculously saved by an air vice marshall but I dont remember which one. I hope that the questions are not boreing but finding someone who knew him even a bit is a little light at the end of the tunnel.
all the best
Charles

Offline btx-alpha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 04 January 10 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dee,
It sounds to me like I should try again to get his service records. We tried once before some time ago and got a not so polite letter. Unfortunately i can not find the letter to jog my memory as to why they refused. It seemed strange at the time as we are his closest remaining relatives. Thanks again for your advice.
atb
Charles

Offline Bobsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 04 January 10 18:45 GMT (UK) »
hi Charles
Sorry about the error on the PM
re - sent it.

& Hi Dee
I found not much info from The RAF Site  then it was transfered to Army Air Corps with less info.
Tried to contact the Officers Site as the President was Lt Col Nielson, and he was our 2nd in comand as a Capt in 652.when we did duty run for stores he sat with me in 3 Ton Bedford TC. No luck with it .
The Books seem highly priced on Amazon
Cheers Bob T.

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If you try Abe books or Alibris sometimes the books can be cheaper.  Depends how rare or how out of print they are.  Books are my one real vice.  I think I have spend about £250 on books re Bomber Command and the aircraft over last 6 months! My most expensive book so far has been £45 on the History of 75 Sqn!

Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline TrevorBaker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Charles. Whilst researching signatures in what seems to be a visitors book for No 17 Air Intelligence Liaison Section, 63 Squadron, I came across Major Ralph Cobley. He signed the book on 9 April 1943, giving Officer Commanding 652 AOP Squadron as his address. Let me know if you'd like information about this book (it contains the signatures of many well-known senior RAF and Army personnel who were attending various intelligence courses). Regards, Trevor Baker