Author Topic: 652 AOP Squadron RAF * RA  (Read 20334 times)

Offline Bobsy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 652 AOP Squadron RAF * RA
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I recently downloaded 652 PDF records for 1942 to Dec 1944 and found out that I actually landed at 2:30 am D+1 with vehicles and marched to Plumetot as advance not gone as expected.
very interesting reading with my name on one page when Major Newton was visiting us in Scotland 1953
Bob T
Bargh,Greaves. Bradley.Butler,Thomason Thirsk Taylor.Wall Thomas Massey Green

Offline phlarris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 12 October 15 19:05 BST (UK) »
I have come into possession of a document titled ‘The Liberation’ that I think may be of interest to some who have been contributing to this thread. I've attached a scan of the front cover.

It is described as:
The Liberation is an attempt to provide a memory of the operations of the 1st British Corps from D day to the river Maas. The views are as we saw them and will remember them.
Cobley (Signature – hard to make out)
Major, R.A.
Officer Commanding
652 (AOP) Squadron, R.A.F.

It contains 26 square period photographs covering the following topic – and others:
The first A.O.P. ALG in Normandy.
Time devoted to reconnaissance is seldom wasted. Caption Bawden returns with replacement
aircraft from England
B.4. Beny-sur-Mer Ducks and Daks.
Ranville. Pegasus at home
Pegasus alights
D.F. Fire. 51 Div. St. Honorine La Chardonarette
Carpiquet Aerodrome
La Bijude
"Mustang” grazing  (downed aircraft)

I've been trying to do some research on the 652, and came across this thread.

Please let me know if you'd like any more details. I'd love to learn more about this.

Offline Bobsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 12 October 15 20:11 BST (UK) »
very interesting. I came back to England on 15th of August 1944 to hospital for op I was was waiting for before we we went across. I was Driver that took in Sick Parade (FAP) and while waiting for them I was accosted by A Red Banded Hatted Officer that asked why I was limping. I told him and he wanted to know why I hadn't reported  sick. I told him that I had reported sick and was waiting to go in Shenley Green Hospital so he took me somewhere else to see some one and then took me to CCRS with a label on my collar "Return to UK for Op" When the sick parade came out they were looking for the Driver.
 I was in CCRS too late for dinner but I had a sweet, rice pudding and Apricots. Then waited to find out what was happening . We heard that the returning Landing Barges were being sunk by Midget Subs, not very exiting, but some casualties were being flown back in the Empty Dakota's from Bayeaux to Swindon, which I went back in.

The photos sound interesting as My friend went the full distance with 652 I often see his daughter as she lives near me I was her Godfather and she would be interested.
Bob T.
Bargh,Greaves. Bradley.Butler,Thomason Thirsk Taylor.Wall Thomas Massey Green

Offline btx-alpha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 11 December 15 16:51 GMT (UK) »
5 years later.... Hello again to Bobsy I must say that I am very happy to re find this conversation still running. A bit late but Mr PHLarris, I was very happy and interested to see the cover 'liberation' and am intrigued to see what else you have. As written earlier in this blog R R Cobley was my uncle. We have read about the AOP and some of its exploits as suggested by Bobsy and are interested to know more. We followed my uncle and his story until his probable demise in Indonesia with the independance movement flying catalinas to help them against the dutch and have a mixture of history and legend on that side.... However, we have never had anything, apart from a few photos and references on the AOP side so if you are in a position to put them on the blog or 'share' them it would be really interesting.

Offline Matt4129uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Good morning.

I'm really late to this thread bu though I'd join in.  I served in 652 Sqn AAC (operating Wildcat helicopters out of RNAS Yeovilton) a few years ago.
I will be delivering a battlefield tour in Normandy to current members of 652 Sqn in July 23.  I'd love to hear about anything about the Sqn during the period Jun-July 44.  I understand there were 3 KIA at the time.  I've identified 1 pilot and we will visit the grave an pay our respects appropriately.  It would be nice to be able to identify the other 2, I believe 1 pilot and 1 observer.
I'd also love to have sight of the booklet 'Liberation' by Maj Cobley and talk to Bob T if able.

That's enough for now.
Kind Regards,
Matt

Offline phlarris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 11 February 23 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt. I have just re-started researching this topic, and was amazed to see your recent post. I'd be very happy to share 'The Liberation' with you. I have been trying to track down the official 652 Sqdn Historian (if such a thing exists), but it's not an easy task. If you could help with that, it would be great, as I'd love to contribute this to the Squadron history.

Regards

Phil

Offline Matt4129uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 11 February 23 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Phil,
Thanks' for getting in touch. I don't appear to be able to PM

I'll pass you my phone number and we can chat about this.
Thanks' again.
Regards,
Matt

Offline phlarris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 12 February 23 22:24 GMT (UK) »
@Matt - Apparently once you've posted 2 posts, then you can message. You should be good to go now.

Phil