Author Topic: DAVIS Family  (Read 3773 times)

Offline Aileen18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DAVIS Family
« on: Saturday 25 October 08 14:58 BST (UK) »
William Davis b 1785 Yeovilton, Somerset d 1850 m Elizabeth Triptree b 1787 d 1855 in Yeovil in 1805. One of their sons Charles Davis and his wife Mary nee NICKS arrived 1839-06-17 on Hooghly from London 19/02/1839.
I have 10 children for William & Elizabeth with birth dates ranging from 1806 to 1830 but I think I must be wrong as 3 of them are named John.  I have descendants for Charles but am wondering how many siblings he actually had and did any migrate to Australia.
Any help would be appreciated.
Aileen
Pritchard, Hobbs, Hicks, Verner, Scott, Davis

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Davis Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 October 08 15:12 BST (UK) »

Aileen - hi

Regarding the three children with the same name:  I don't have knowledge of your particular family, but I can tell you that if parents were determined to have a son - usually - with a particular name, they would re-use the same if the child died, so possible the two oldest John's died in infancy ?  This has happened several times in my families,  usually if the name in question was one of the grand-parents' given names.

Hope this helps  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright from TNA.
Titchfield, Hampshire: Reed,  Fielder, Cawte, Goddard.
Kent:  Float,  Cutbush. 
Wallasey, Cheshire: Carroll, Ledsham.
Liverpool : Horsfall, Prescott

Offline Aileen18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Davis Family
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 October 08 15:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  The name in question was John & I think the Grandfather's name may have been John but I am yet to confirm this.
Pritchard, Hobbs, Hicks, Verner, Scott, Davis