Author Topic: ROXBOROUGHs in Atlin, B.C.- completed  (Read 17494 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
ROXBOROUGHs in Atlin, B.C.- completed
« on: Saturday 25 October 08 22:01 BST (UK) »
Father-in-law said neighbours left Aghadowey parish, ran a pub in Articlave then went to U.S. c1904/5.

Just found the family tonight and wondering what other details might be available on them.

John ROXBOROUGH m.1889 Catherine Kennedy McMath. Son William McMath Roxborough born 24 Nov.1890 Aghadowey. Another son Robert Alexander M. Roxborough born Nov.1892 Ireland.
1898 John Roxborough went from Liverpool, Eng. to Halifax, Can. (indexed as John Roxburg? in FindMyPast).
1901 his wife Catherine, 2 sons and brother travelled Liverpool, Eng. to Halifax, Can. (A. Roxborough, C. Roxborough, R.A. Roxborough, W. Roxborough).
1911 Census- Atlin, B.C.:
James Rosborough, born July 1855 to Canada 1898 occ- hotel
wife C?, born Mar.1874 Ireland, cook to Canada 1904
son William born Nov.1892 Ireland to Canada 1904
son Robert born Nov.1890 Ireland to Canada 1904
(James should be John, Catherine's age is incorrect and sons' birthdate switched)
in separate household: Andrew Roxborough, born Apr.1862 Ireland to Canada 1904 occupation pla? gold.

Have found records of the family in Crown Grants. Also found them all in B.C. marriage and death records.

What I can't find is John Roxborough in 1901 Canadian census (suspect spelling of the surname is the problem there).
Also haven't been able to check passenger lists in Canadian archives (without knowing the name of the ships- 1898 + 1904- there are too many possibilities).

Would appreciate any help on the above 2 items and any other suggestions. My Canadian research in B.C. has been mostly around Vancouver area so I'm not sure what else might be available.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ROXBOROUGHs in Atlin, B.C.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 October 08 02:58 GMT (UK) »
Last name: Roxburg 
First name: John 
Male
Year of Birth: 1858
Date of departure: March 31st, 1898
Departure port: Liverpool
Ship name: Labrador
Destination country: Canada
Destination port: Halifax
Date of arrival: April 9th, 1898

Manifest
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e177/e004411465.jpg

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 October 08 04:48 GMT (UK) »

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 October 08 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Manifest (Page 5 & 6 (copied twice)
Catherine / William / Robert

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e148/e003694935.jpg

Manifest - (Page 8
Andrew

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e148/e003694938.jpg

Last name: Roxborough
First name:  C
Female
Year of Birth: 1871
Date of departure: February 26, 1904
Ship name: Canada
Date of arrival: March 4, 1904

First name:  A
Male
Year of Birth: 1864

First name:  R.A.
Male
Year of Birth: 1895

First name:  W.
Male
Year of Birth: 1893

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 October 08 04:54 GMT (UK) »

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 October 08 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all your searching Janice. I did try to find John Roxborough in 1901 census under lots of different variations of Roxborough but never thought he'd have been indexed under the Ls!

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ROXBOROUGHs in Atlin, B.C.- completed
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 October 08 16:50 GMT (UK) »
1901 was indeed a problem, but I started looking for names that ended with "borough" or close variations.

As far as the manifests go, I have discovered some short cuts. (mostly out of desperation for some of the names in my family)   ;D

Glad I could help.

Janice

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ROXBOROUGHs in Atlin, B.C.- completed
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 October 08 16:57 GMT (UK) »
1901 was indeed a problem, but I started looking for names that ended with "borough" or close variations.
I searched under names beginning with Rox & Ros and still didn't find John in 1901 (there's a correction on automatedgenealogy site by Diane Smith of the Atlin Historical Society). Will have to see if I can get contact details for her as she might be interested in the background of the Roxborough family. Apparently Atlin was one of the busiest places during Klondike Gold Rush.
My great-uncle went looking for gold in that area (and found some- his wife's wedding ring was made from some of it) and I have the book he wrote about his adventures then and later when sailing around the world. Must take another look at the section about the gold rush.