Author Topic: Edward Rhodes Parish  (Read 4053 times)

Offline juliebenny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Rhodes Parish
« on: Sunday 26 October 08 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with shipping records probably into South Australia for the above.  He was born on 4/10/1835 in Guernsey.  Also a death for Mary Parish probably 1853 in Guernsey.  Also does anyone know if there are any cemetery records on line.

Thanks everyone
Julie

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Rhodes Parish
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 01:13 BST (UK) »
You may well have found all the information you require by now, viewing that your post was made in 2008, but just in case you haven't:

I found the marriage in St Paul Deptford Kent of George Parish (Widower) of Slaugham, West Sussex to Mary Rhodes (Spinster) of this parish on 28/8/1834.  Witnesses were William Rhodes, Jane Rhodes and 1 other name I cannot decipher - possibly William Warrington

I found the following entry for Edward Rhodes Parish, in the book "Guernsey Emigrants to Australia 1828-1899" by David W Kreckeler, which includes information about Mary Parish's death also.

Edward Rhodes Parish, a Mariner travelled to Melbourne on the "Surprise" in 1855
He was described as the son of George Parish and Mary Parish nee Rhodes.  Born on 4/10/1835 and baptised some years later on 8/1/1854 St Martin's Guernsey

Of interest a footnote adds that although Edward was baptised in Guernsey, he was in fact born in England.

Siblings of Edward Rhodes Parish are also mentioned in this book:

Eldest Son George Thomas Parish sailed to Adelaide in 1847 on the "Rebecca Jane" aged 23

Sisters Eliza (25), Matilda (23) and Jane (16) "Needlewomen" all travelled to Adelaide in 1854 on the "Navarino"

Brothers Walter (20) and Alfred (18) "Farm Servants" travelled to Adelaide in 1860 on the "Ramilles"

1841 Census at Les Caches, St Martins, Guernsey
George Parish (45) B 1796 Independent B England
Mary Parish (35) B 1806 Wife B England
George Thomas Parish (15) B 1826 Son B England
Eliza Parish (12) B 1829 Daughter B England
Matilda Parish (10) B 1831 Daughter B England
Edward Rhodes Parish (5) B 1836 Son B England
Jane Rhodes Parish (3) B 1838 Daughter B England
Walter Charles Parish (1) B 1840 Son B England

I found the birth of Jane Rhodes Parish on the Free BMD site, she was born Q3 1837 in Cuckfield District, West Sussex, England

Walter Charles Parish per Free BMD, was born Q3 1839 St George Southwark District, Surrey (exact date 8/8/1839 - per David W Kreckeler's book)

They must have moved to Guernsey after the time of the 1841 Census and prior to the birth of son Alfred Parish on 20/9/1841 (per David W Kreckeler's book).  His birth noted in the St Martin's Parish Church Register)

1851 Census La Bouvee, St Martins, Guernsey
George Parish (55) B 1796 Retired Officer of the East Indies Company Hon Service B England
Mary Parish (46) B 1805 Wife B England
Eliza Parish (22) B 1829 Daughter B England
Matilda Parish (20) B 1831 Daughter B England
Edward Rhodes Parish (15) B 1836 Son B England
Jane Rhodes Parish (13) B 1838 Daughter B England
Walter Charles Parish   (11) B 1840 Son B England
Alfred Parish (9) B 1842 Son B St Martins Guernsey   

Mary Parish his mother died 22/6/1853 at La Bouvee, St Martin's Guernsey (This was mentioned in the Guernsey Star newspaper on 23/6/1853).  She was described as the wife of George Parish and that she was 49 years at the time of her death.

I would imagine that she is buried at St Martin's Parish Church graveyard.

Also in David W Kreckeler's book is the next marriage of George Parish to Judith Martin. The name of George Parish's father is given here also.

George Parish (son of Samuel Parish) married Judith Martin (daughter of Daniel Martin), both residents of St Andrews, Guernsey at St Andrew's Church on 30/9/1859

1861 Census Poidevins, Talbot Road, St Andrews Guernsey
George Parish (64) B 1797 Retired Officer of East Indies Company B England
Judith Parish (23) B 1838 Wife B St Andrews Guernsey

Again per David W Kreckeler's book the following about George Parish

"Headstone St Andrews Churchyard Guernsey reads "Sacred to the memory of George Parish Esq, formerly Captain in the H.E.I.C.S who died 2/8/1877 aged 81 years and 6 months.  Thy Will be done.  This tribute is erected by his widow and bereaved children)"

H.E.I.C.S = Hon East Indies Company Service

Hope this is of some help to you

Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline juliebenny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 October 11 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Historyfan
Thank you for your detailed info.  I had some of it.  I tried to find where I can purchase that book but no luck.  I keep hopping from one branch to the other and its hard to keep up with where I am sometimes.
Thank you again
Julie :)

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 October 11 18:24 GMT (UK) »
You could try buying the book from La Societe Guernesiaise if they still have any in stock?

http://www.societe.org.gg/sales/books.php?type1=Island%20History
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale