Author Topic: Unknown soldier  (Read 3532 times)

Offline kishtu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unknown soldier
« on: Monday 27 October 08 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This photo was found amongst my grandmothers collection when she passed away.  I dont know who it is or where it was taken.  I am not aware of any men in the family apart from 1 convict being in the British army.  All Australian Soldiers in my family where in the 1st and second world wars.

When i posted it on rootschat to be restored Jim1 said possibly 9th/12th Royal Lancer, possibly taken in India. 

Thanks
Kish
Terrell, Mitchell, Morris and Wagstaff

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown soldier
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 October 08 22:20 GMT (UK) »
I would date this very closely from 1874-1881. I cannot identify the lapel badges but I am somewhat sure they are those of a fusilier regiment.

I think you are looking at a young man, about 22 years old and so born about 1852 to 1859.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 07:13 GMT (UK) »
I think he is a private/trooper in a Lancer regiment. Any chance of a high-res scan of the collar badge?

Ken

UPDATE: could be the 12th Lancers - from one of Neil's posts - http://www.soldiersofthequeen.com/page4o-Farrier12thLancers.html

They did not merge with the 9th until after WW1

The plastron (the bit between the buttons) was introduced about 1872. If there is a chance he served in the Boer War, post his name and we can check the medal roll

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 07:45 GMT (UK) »
It has to be after 1873 as collar dogs were not introduced until then and not all units took up the collar dogs immediately.

So it's definitely later than 1873. I have to agree with Ken he is probally from a lancer unit.
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline John Young

• RootsChat Senior
  • Isandlwana - The Hill of the Sphinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Lancer mid-1880's, off the top of my head, lancers didn't get collar badges until after 1881.

Isandlwana
...Neither praise nor blame add to their epitaph but like it be simple as that which marked Thermopylae.
Tell it in England those that pass us by, here, faithful to their charge, her soldiers lie.

Offline kishtu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help

I just had a quick lesson in changing the resolution but its still not clear.  Hope its ok.

Kish

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kish

Looks like the Prince of Wales' feathers of the 12th (Prince of Wales' Royal) Lancers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12th-Lancers-Cap-Badge-Queens-Crown_W0QQitemZ160294635825QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081026?IMSfp=TL081026116001r26086

You should right click the picture and save it.

Ken

Offline kishtu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 12:33 GMT (UK) »
WOW thanks Ken
Now I have something to work on.  Now to find a name that links in with the family.  ;D

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Ken is definitely right. I see the collar badge shape clearly now.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk