Author Topic: Greenbrae Loaning Dumfries  (Read 41041 times)

Offline 777dixie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenbrae Loaning Dumfries
« Reply #36 on: Monday 02 November 09 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Flower Power Hi, Dixie here you are spot on B.D. And Black Sheep In family( enough) I do remember all that you say about the loaning including the small nursery at the bottom right hand side, there was a corrigated iron clad shed between there and Crathie Ave it was painted red, My grannie's Gentleman friend kept his car in there with some others his name was Willie Reilly from the glasgow area. You mention schooner I left the butchers in greenbrae and went to work with him at Mathew Flemings on the High st in dumfries. that was before going to the Railway as an apprentice Fitter, small world isnt it Cheers Bert.

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 02 November 09 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

Sorry I havent had a chance to come back with my findings from the valuation rolls - I have been really busy chasing my wife round the hoose and garden.

I will get to the records, so please bear with me.

Kojak

:-)

I have also been busy chasing up another family search - link here as some may find it interesting:-

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,310034.0.html

Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

ok now that I have stopped chasing the wife around the garden, I have dug deep into my boxes of family history and the following info is taken directly from copied valuation rolls in respect of the proprietors and tenants of properties at Greenbrae Loaning / Terrace for the years stated.  I will have another look if I have more years covered.

Starting in 1912-13 Valuation Roll for Burgh of Dumfries - 8th Ward

Greenbrae Terrace is listed under description of place
Lockerbie Road is listed under situation

134 - 136 (4 properties in total) all Lockerbie Road were owned by John S Dykes, hairdresser

The tenants were as follows:

132 - Miss Mary Pool
134 - William Leiper, gardener
136 - David Tweedie, sawyer
136 - Empty
136 - William Nicholson
136 - Empty

Also along Lockerbie Road at No. 148 was a shop owned by Mrs Jane Swan and occupied by Jean Kay.  No 146 was the house that was associated to the shop.  The valuation roll doesn’t state what the shop was.

1914-15 Valuation Roll for Burgh of Dumfries - 8th Ward

Same above except for the following

Greenbrae Loaning
136 - Empty properties occupied by  Miss Sarah Nicholson and Mrs Agnes Green
William Nicholson had seemingly vacated his home (or had died) as Mrs Elizabeth Hobens was living there in 1914.

Also Listed along Greenbrae Loaning were the following accounts:

William McLellan (proprietor of the following properties)

126 - John Graham, labourer
126 - Miss Jean Rogerson
126 - James, Gillies, plate maker
126 - Miss Mary Tyers
128 - Andrew Wyllie, engine driver
130 - Robert Boyd, carter

1915-16 Valuation Roll for Burgh of Dumfries - 8th Ward

No 148 is listed as being occupied by a James Kay, a grocer

126 - John Graham, labourer
126 - Miss Jean Rogerson
126 - James Gillies, platelayer
126 - Miss Mary Tyers
128 - Andrew Brown, motor worker
130 - Robert Currie, fireman
132 - as above
134 - as above
136 - John Dickie, farm worker
136 - as above
136 - as above
136 - as above

Things did not seem to change until 1919-20

Houses un-numbered and listed under Greenbrae Loaning at Lindsay Place belonging to the Reprs of the late Mrs Margaret Thorpe, 75 Minard Road, Crossmyloof, Glasgow.

James Coid, van man
James Charters, butcher (listed resident until 1923)
Charles Henry Body, waggon fitter
William Jardine, retired
John J Dickie, labourer
Miss Jessie Cowan

Houses owned by the Trustees of the late James Teenan (horse dealer)

Robert Paul, soldier
William Connell, labourer
Mrs Agnes Green

Valuation Rolls for 1919-1925 also lists a property at Glenholme, Lockerbie Road (un-numbered) belonging to

Robert Thomson Miller, butcher - proprietor and occupier.

Not sure if any of this is relevant to anyone contributing to this thread but it marks a starting point for the valuation roll information I have on Greenbrae loaning.

I will look to see if I have later Roll records and will report back.

Kojak

Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline 777dixie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kojak,
              Thanks for the info I will print and study its amazing to read the history of the area in which one was brought up in, any thing else you find will be great thanks, Bert (777dixie )

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kojak, just to respond to your latest, In a previous message Imentioned that the Coids lived to one side of my cottage on the other side was miss Cowan , I lived in Greenbrae until 1959 it looks as if they had lived there a long time. Regards stoop.

Offline dogilover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 00:59 GMT (UK) »
So much has been written regarding the Loaning and i have very fond memories of when i stayed there as a child. I used to save up my comics such as the Bunty and Jackie and cycle round the corner with them to the fever hospital adjacent to the new park. Ive no doubt other comics belonging to my 2 sisters and brother were in the bag also, but as i left dumfries approx 1966/7 i often wonder what that hospital is now. How we enjoyed playing beds on the pavement and chap door run was a firm favourite much to the annoyance of the neighbours. On a recent visit to a relative i drove past my old house and apart from a garage it looked just as i remembered it and aroused floods of memories of when i stayed there, and can anyone enlighten me as to what happened to Jane Trotter, my friend, who lived at the stoop? Many thanks, Dogilover

Offline Glensav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 18 January 10 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greenbrae folks,
My great aunts the Glendinnings lived at the bottom of the loaning and we spent all our holidays  as children there and loved it.  I used to go through the park to Noblehill cafe which had the best ice lollies in the shape of animals.  My mother always told me not to go near the old man's shelter!  I remember Swan's farm- didn't they have a race horse called Black Jack? 
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who remembers the Glendinnings.

Offline 777dixie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Glensav, Hi 777dixie here. Ref the Glendinnings of greenbrae I am sure I recall them was the son not always away in the navy I don't know if it was the royal or merchant but I remember the dark uniform, and next door going up the loaning were the Jeffery's I think that was a mother and son ( Billy ) who tragically took his own life in the small bore rifle club in Newall Terr in Dumfries ( the reason I do remember it was that later that year his mother asked me if I would like a motor bike, his one in 100 bits he had been restoring it, I said yes and used a wheel barrow to move it up to Ivy Cottage where I lived, for what its worth that started me on a life of engineering once I got it built and running), I digress answer to the original question was yes I do remember them.

Cheers Dixie

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello all , although the name Glendenning sounds familiar I cannot recall anyone specifically. Iwonder if anyone out there have any photographs of the loaning as it was. When today I see the cottage where I was brought up made characterless it is quite sad, there is little indication of it being built using sandstone. Regards stoop.