Author Topic: Greenbrae Loaning Dumfries  (Read 41034 times)

Offline 777dixie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenbrae Loaning Dumfries
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Stoop Hi,
            Dixie here just read your note as you probably did mine, I do agree with you on the change in the loaning, when you think back how did we all live in Ivy Cottage there was my Granny, Dad,Mum, Two young Brothers and me, 2 bed rooms living room kitchen no fridge Granny kept the meat and fresh food in a cupboard at the back door, attic room access by ladder!, and WE had a Bathroom I can remember Granny Having it converted from two coal cellar's at the back, woe stop I could write a book once started,  but sadly like you I do not have any pictures from my young days at Greenbrae Loaning. Ivy Cott has more at the back now than we ever had it did have a large garden.

Cheer's

Offline rustypolo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 22 January 10 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greenbraers,

Dixie you were lucky - a bathroom. We had no bathroom just an outside toilet.
That was fun in the type of weather we've just had.
By the way I lived in Moreland Cottage with my parents and sister Beth until 1960. Stoop will realise by now I am Bryden.
The Hoggs lived in the other half of Moreland Cottage.
I remember playing in the street - very few cars in those days - only vehicle I recall  interupting us was Mr Hethrington from the Lockerbie Road on his moped. 

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 23 January 10 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryden I have sent you a p.m. but I do not know if you have received it yet. regards stoop.

Offline 777dixie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 23 January 10 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Bryden Hi,  I'll go the top of the stairs then great to here from you do you still live in the area ? is Beth still to the fore? this site is just great to here from auld acquaintances up and down the loaning, have you read any of the early posts I am trying to find out about the butchers shop (where I used to work) to find out the history prior to the shop I mentioned the cottage at the top next to the shop ( gone now) where Jimmy or Wullie Swan used to do the butchering from a shed and outside would you have any memories of this or am I going back too far you.

Cheer's
                                                                  Bert Dickson
                                                                   Ex Ivy Cottage 19******* something ;D ;D

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 25 January 10 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello all ,what can any of you remember about your primary school days at Noblehill?. I can remember very little and probably need some prompting. The teachers during my time were Mrs. Sturgeon and Mrs. Coulthart, the head was Andy Young. Regards stoop.

Offline rustypolo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 25 January 10 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dixie,
            Yes I am still in Dumfries as is Beth. I am still working at the old ICI site.
I'm afraid my earliest recollection of Houstons is on its present site. The cottages you refer to, I remember the Carricks? converting them into a single house.
Sorry I can't help any more.

Cheers,

Bryden

Offline rustypolo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 25 January 10 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger,
              I did receive your P.M. but am unable to reply until I have made 3 posts. In touch soon

Bryden

Offline rustypolo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stoop,

A few names of Noblehill teachers -Mrs McKinnel, Mr Sibbons,
Miss Sandilands. Before Mr Sibbons was the P7 teacher there was a Mr Smith who ran a football competition in the playground after school. After these I,m struggling to remember anymore.

Regards Rustypolo

Offline 777dixie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 31 January 10 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Rustypolo Hi,
                   Dixie here just read your teacher's list again memories, I can add Miss Leaming, Miss Wilson, Miss Rodden (who taught my father ) Mrs Coultard, Miss McKay, Hugh Johnstone P7 He left and went to the academy,Miss Fleming,and the Jannie was a white haired gentileman forgot his name Conal or Connely no its gone now,Andy Young the Heidie took the choir and sang for the Dumfries male voice choir he was a big light with the musical festval in the drill hall on Newal Terr, as said before once started don't know when or how to stop.
                                                         Cheer's,